antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Would like to hear...

Cheers

Just starting to, so probably no help with anything.

Mart

Does pinhole count? :p

No worries, Marvin, I am still sourcing a 67 Pentax and am getting the 4 x 5 in March only...would like to know how you get on with it!

I shoot 5x4, mostly landscape stuff.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?

Yes, what films you use and, as objectively as possible, your thoughts on whatever film you use as opposed to current Canon D-SLR cameras.

Would that be analogue 4x5? - link

Absolutely no contest.
A drum scanned 5x4 neg has the tonality, colour depth and depth my EOS 1dsmk3 just can't capture (RAW files processed in C1.)
I use Kodak Ektar for colour and a mixture of TRI-X and FP4 for black and white.
You will probably have more fun shooting 5x4 than digital, especially if you develop the film your self.

Enough of an endorsement? ;)

Another 4x5 virgin here! I just know it's going to end up costing me so much that I'll be working so much overtime to pay for it, I won't have time to play!

Absolutely no contest.
A drum scanned 5x4 neg has the tonality, colour depth and depth my EOS 1dsmk3 just can't capture (RAW files processed in C1.)
I use Kodak Ektar for colour and a mixture of TRI-X and FP4 for black and white.
You will probably have more fun shooting 5x4 than digital, especially if you develop the film your self.

Enough of an endorsement? ;)

Absolutely, yes, thank you.

I shoot...well, you can see what I shoot...and I am about to go on a ruthless film drive for fun, hoping to turn a commercial angle on it so it can fund itself.

Another thing, is a drum scan really still essential in the light of Epson's V750 and the wet mount kit?

Thanks

Depends on how big you want print. I use an Epson 700 for getting pics on my website and non commercial prints.

Have a look at the UK large format forum, they did a scanner test, easy winner.
An Epson does a great job but can't extract as much detail as a decent drum scan. Having said that there are bad and good drum scans, a lot of the quality is in setting up the drum scanner and the expertise of the person using the equipment.

If I get time I'll post the difference from
my own tests between my Epson 700 and a drum scan.

Thank you, would love to see that!

Do you think the 750 is much hetter than the 700? It would seem that the fluid mount does make a difference...

The fluid mount unit apparently can be used with the V700 as well, its just not included with the scanner, you have to buy it separately. According to reviews of the V700 and V750 their both practically identical anyway.

Question for you folks that develop your own 5x4.
I used to work in a lab so I used to shoot velvia and get my done free now that I've left I realise how expensive it can get! So i want to start shooting b/w and develop my own but I dont want to do it in a tray so can anyone recommend a tank-like box or something I could develop 1 or 2 sheets at a time? I'm looking for the cheapest alternative here, so anything will do. Thanks!

I used to work in a lab so I used to shoot velvia and get my done free now that I've left I realise how expensive it can get! So i want to start shooting b/w and develop my own but I dont want to do it in a tray so can anyone recommend a tank-like box or something I could develop 1 or 2 sheets at a time? I'm looking for the cheapest alternative here, so anything will do. Thanks!

Cheapest.....or best-Jobo CPP with expert drum ;)

Thanks everyone for joining in!

I hope to share my 5 x 4 experiences with you from the middle of March onwards because that is when I plan to collect mine...haven't even seen it yet but booked it anyway!

Can i join in? im about to shoot 5x4 in college,im hoping to do alot of landscapes but a couple of portraits for a project i have :)

Can i join in? im about to shoot 5x4 in college,im hoping to do alot of landscapes but a couple of portraits for a project i have :)

All welcome, John

I just hope not to keep you guys waiting too long as I will only start in March...

Went to silverprint today, bought a box of delta pro 100, gonna try dev it myself using the taco method, I did see a nice tank they have, hp something, exactly what I was looking for but its almost £90 so I think for this pinhole stuff I'll skip it, it's also funny how a pinhole camera pretty similar to the one I made goes for around £150 :p

it's also funny how a pinhole camera pretty similar to the one I made goes for around £150 :p

They are very nicely made though, all brass and wood and very nice to use.

I got one as a present a couple of years ago :D

I'm also on my way to Silverprint today, having got myself a Toyo 4x5 last week and I've just got a lens to go in it from evil bay. I just need the sun to come out now, I'm fed up with all the greyness.

Went to silverprint today, bought a box of delta pro 100, gonna try dev it myself using the taco method, I did see a nice tank they have, hp something, exactly what I was looking for but its almost £90 so I think for this pinhole stuff I'll skip it, it's also funny how a pinhole camera pretty similar to the one I made goes for around £150 :p

:D

Do you have any pics of your pinhole camera as I am thinking of making one..

The daylight HP Combi Plan tank is what I have used for years successfully. One issue is the small opening. It does not drain and fill fast so developers like Rodinal you may want to drop the film in a filled tank in the dark, cap and then return to light but no problem with other developers.

Last edited:
Another question, folks, how long will 4 x 5 film still be available?

Thats a hard question, kodak have released a 2010 report and it looked very bad for film but they have brought out 3 new films recently so...

Another question, folks, how long will 4 x 5 film still be available?

As long as there is a demand for the stuff. Even if Kodak and Ilford give up there are loads of companies (Forma, Adox, Lucky) still making it.
In our lifetime I would be very surprised if 5x4 was discontinued, even if the manufacturers went to minimum order quantities.

Regards
Ed, who shot 5 sheets and bought 3 boxes of Ektar 5x4 this afternoon ;)

Last edited:
Back