Anyone use a Messenger type bag ?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been using a Lowepro rucsac for what feels like ever, and Ive never been happy with it comfort wise, as the straps seem to narrow at the top for me and just dig in.

Ive been borrowing a cheapy non tog canvas satchel for want of better descrition and I think it would work better for on days out.

Would carry to site D500 body, a walkabout lens and something like a 70-200 2.8 maybe, along with some sarnies and a bottle of water.

Once on site, the body comes out and has a PD Slide attached to it.

I quite like the look and price of this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...346-45d9-bc56-e2ae0c96f3fe&pf_rd_i=B00VCFZQE2

What do you use?

I have one of these https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/retrospective-series/products/retrospective-10

But bought one of these yesterday (cheers Nik) to replace it http://www.tenba.com/uk/products/tenba-cooper-13-slim.aspx

OK for wandering around towns and general sightseeing, but for walking trips I use a proper rucksack to carry camera/lenses in padded cases

Also got one of these packed away unused for ages http://store.lowepro.com/ca/classified-200-aw-ca

Think it's about time I had a bag sale

Last edited:
You might use any messenger etc bag you fancy with maybe a padded insert sourced separately.

Of 'informal' camera bags sold complete with dividers, the Think Tank Retros (see above) are very well-made, but there are also canvassy options in the Domke range.

For serious treks I do what Rich does. I use Macpac sacks - excellent fabrics that are non-shiny and pretty damned waterproof without relying on coatings that disintegrate - I've always laughed at rucsacs that come with a fiddly rain cover - if the sac's designed right you hardly need one. But that's rucsacs.

Ive been using Vangiuard Up-Rise bags for a few years and love them. Ive tried other bags but keep going back to the Up-Rise 38II. It holds my camera with any lens attached, another two lenses and bits and bobs. I can also put my MeFoto tripod across the top, under the flap. The Up-Rise 33 II is my daily bag that i use for work. Both bags can have the camera bit removed if needed

Ive never got on with back pack type bags, so I only use top loading bags. They seem more convenient and much quicker to get the camera in and out.

Quite surprised at how expensive they seem to be now. I got mine for a less than half the price that Amazon are asking now. Still, I'd buy again if i had to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-I...488533&sr=8-1&keywords=vanguard+up-rise+ii+38

Thanks everyone,loads of info here to sift through anf look at . Some of these are big money for what they are though in my view.

Thanks everyone,loads of info here to sift through anf look at . Some of these are big money for what they are though in my view.

Have a look at the Lowepro Classified 200AW I mentioned above, if you are interested let me know and I'll bung it on the classifieds for less than 35 quid

Have a look at the Lowepro Classified 200AW I mentioned above, if you are interested let me know and I'll bung it on the classifieds for less than 35 quid

Certainly be interested-couple of pics would good if poss please.....

Certainly be interested-couple of pics would good if poss please.....

No problem Mark, not really appropriate dealing here though

How about you bung a wanted ad up and I can reply with a couple of photos.

Last edited:
One fails for me in most over shoulder bag is the fact to open it you have to lift the flap up towards your body and hold it as you try to get things out. Why not make the flap open away from your body so you have two hands-free to sort out what you need.
I think most togs have bought many different bags as I do not think there is One that will work 100%.
I know I have many and have had many before the ones I got now.....

One fails for me in most over shoulder bag is the fact to open it you have to lift the flap up towards your body and hold it as you try to get things out. Why not make the flap open away from your body so you have two hands-free to sort out what you need.
I think most togs have bought many different bags as I do not think there is One that will work 100%.
I know I have many and have had many before the ones I got now.....

Yup.

There seems to be something wrong with every bag I'd ever had... I suppose the answer is to design one and have it made specifically for my/your needs.

Actually my best so far is an old Town and Country camcorder bag, it's main fault is that the strap is too short for across the body use.

Hava pile of bags an non really worked for me. But since some years I'm quite happy with my Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW.

I can recommend the lowepro messenger passport I have 3 of them and it can hold a surprising am out of gear if needed :)

Hope someone invents a replacement for those velcro secured dividers, even separate inserts have them.

Those things truly are the work of the devil, never get them in the right place no matter what method I try

Back