Anyone use a TV for editing?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Just curious, and if so how are you getting on with it and which one.

With the progress made in TV panels lately I was wondering if it's feasible to use something up to say a 32" TV as an editing screen, also for generating prints from. I use a canon pixma pro 100 printer.

Anyone use a TV for editing?

I know I don't answer your question but…

I would not want to have to! The pixel density is the braking point
in this. TV screens may have got bigger but don't reach the good
stuff of monitors: pixel density.

At TV screen density, the screen would have to be even much big-
ger and be looked at from greater distance… like a billboard. :cautious::jawdrop:

Last edited:
There's little difference between TV screens and monitors these days actually. In fact the highest resolution TVs have been making higher resolution monitors common (only Apple have us retina until 4K became the norm). Both use the same tech and the same connector. The only difference is a TV comes with a tuner, speakers, and remote control and a bunch of smart crap you will never use. On the other hand the TV sells in such huge quantities the price comes down. They can both be accurately calibrated, in many cases in the factory.

My advise is buy either, it doesn't really matter.

I attached my laptop to a 32" tv and it was awful!
The image will not be as good as a monitor (Pixel density etc) but it should not be that bad so it looks like a problem with the your laptop, maybe cheap graphics card.

A 4k 32" tv has the same pixel density as a 4k 32" monitor, obvs. Biggest issue is that most people want sRGB colour space for photo editing but TV is wider colour gamut than that. Assuming you calibrated your graphics card accordingly there is no difference between similarly specified TVs and monitors.

It's worth noting that you can buy a monitor that is crap just the same way you can buy a TV that's crap...

Last edited:
Back