Anyone use Rawtherapee?

I used it for a while on Linux before I switched to Darktable - seemed okay, certainly one of the better free options.

If you need an alternative to Lightroom on Linux then either that or darktable are good options, but not as easy to use or effective IMO.

If you need an alternative to Lightroom on Linux then either that or darktable are good options, but not as easy to use or effective IMO.
Thanks Toni, it's for use in Windows ... Darktable looks interesting but they do not code for the Windows platform :)

I struggled with Rawtherapee's interface and prefer UFRaw. Both use Dcraw as the demosaicing engine so there is little to choose between them quality-wise. Both are free so try both and see how you get on.

I use Polarr which is an app on the windows store.
In the time i have used it it has accepted RAW files from my fuji XT1 and Panasonic LX3.
The free version gives most of the features you see on other editing programmes and if you pay the £15 or whatever it is for the pro version then you get some additional features.

Its worth a punt for free even to just see if it will open your raw files.

Came across Rawtherapee which is a free image processor.
Looks interesting but is it worth the effort trying to get used to it?
http://rawtherapee.com/
I use RawTherapee for raw processing. It's not difficult to use at all. It is very flexible and comprehensive.
I don't use the photo navigation and management aspects. Just raw development direct from Digikam photo manager with "Open in RawTherapee". They could improve one or 2 trivial things. But I have no complaints with the results.

I tried about 5 different raw processors at the time I chose Raw Therapee. It just seemed to give my raws (ORF) a nicer default to get me started. But that may be different for other raw types. YMMV.

Thanks Toni, it's for use in Windows ... Darktable looks interesting but they do not code for the Windows platform :)

Any particular reason for using that rather than a free copy of DXO optics pro 9 or Adobe Camera Raw (ACR is a free download)?

Any particular reason for using that rather than a free copy of DXO optics pro 9 or Adobe Camera Raw (ACR is a free download)?
Does ACR work without Photoshop or Light room?

My copy of DXO is so flakey I cannot reliably use it.

If you have Adobe Bridge you can open the files straight into ACR. You do not need to load Lightroom or Photoshop.
But you need to buy Photoshop to get Adobe Bridge, surely? That doesn't make ACR a usable free download.

If you have Adobe Bridge you can open the files straight into ACR. You do not need to load Lightroom or Photoshop.

Bridge is free actually.
I have downloaded Adobe Bridge and it is indeed free. Adobe Camera Raw also downloaded at the same time, without me asking it to. However, when I try to open a file in ACR from Bridge, I get the following message: "Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature." This means I must launch either Lightroom or Photoshop to get the ACR to work. Or is there another "qualifying product"?

Last edited:
I have downloaded Adobe Bridge and it is indeed free. Adobe Camera Raw also downloaded at the same time, without me asking it to. However, when I try to open a file in ACR from Bridge, I get the following message: "Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature." This means I must launch either Lightroom or Photoshop to get the ACR to work. Or is there another "qualifying product"?

Hi John I downloaded Bridge a while ago, if I want to edit a Raw photo, I open up the folder then Double click on the photo and it opens in Raw editor, hope this helps :)

Hi John I downloaded Bridge a while ago, if I want to edit a Raw photo, I open up the folder then Double click on the photo and it opens in Raw editor, hope this helps :)
Yes, I am well able to use software - I have been using WIMP systems since the late 1990s. When I do as you suggest, I get that message in my post above : Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature." If that sends you into ACR, I assume that at some point in the past you have used Lightroom or Photoshop (or another Creative Cloud program).

Yes, I am well able to use software - I have been using WIMP systems since the late 1990s. When I do as you suggest, I get that message in my post above : Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature." If that sends you into ACR, I assume that at some point in the past you have used Lightroom or Photoshop (or another Creative Cloud program).

You are right I use to have the Adobe CC, but now use Elements 15 and Lightroom 6 Standalone.

I am a Linux Mint user after abandoning the Microsoft Windows ship, a ship which I sailed for 30 odd years. I am very happy with Linux, I use Digikam and Rawtherapee, the latter takes a little getting used too, but in the end is a easy ship to sail. Many tutorials on youtube, which helped me on my way.

I also have virtual Box install with a copy of windows installed onto that. But in truth I have never really found any need to use it.

I used to think that it would be a problem to leave Windows because of external device support. But these days everything I have works without a hitch. Devices and standards have moved on I guess. Especially since Android. Linux has moved on too. And now I'm not sure why I worried before. I have Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

Last edited:
I used Rawtherapee for a while years ago but moved on to Raw Shooter Essentials which at the time I loved. From what I remember there are dedicated sites/forums for Rawtherapee and it seems to be a powerful thing capable of delivering excellent results. Unfortunately for some reason my pc suddenly became incapable of running it without problems.

I tried it on Windows and it seemed OK until it crashed. And then continued to crash every time I opened a .dng file.

Last edited:
Back