Anyone used E-infinity ?

Update on order

Well I asked efinity for an update on my order as it's been taking a while, they said it should have reached the UK by now and are having troubles tracing it as in previous emails they said I would have received it by now.....not looking good but they won't refund me until it's officially written off, last time I will be using efinity and I'll just buy second hand in the future.

I've used E-infinity in the past without much problems, but If there's little in the price difference, I'd go with Panamoz.
Even £100-£150 more I'd still go with Panamoz as their warranty and customer service is far better IMO.
I have never used them before but I will check them out as I won't use efinity again

I have never used them before but I will check them out as I won't use efinity again
They're well known and well used by folk here. They supply a 3 year UK based warranty (compared to 1 year RTB with e-infinity I believe) and you can even email them if buying a few things to get a total discounted price on their already cheaper website prices.

Sounds good, I will see what happens with my efinity order, if they don't arrive i will ask for a refund and shop at Panamoz

Long wait on my above-mentioned Tamron lens repair under warranty. Recap: E-inifinity asked me to get a repair quote from a local camera shop, with the idea that if it was cheap enough, I would pay for the repair and they would reimburse me.

Well, the local camera repair guy could not repair it, so it went to Fixation (UK Tamron-authorised repair centre), who have now quoted £360 for the repair. The repair being a far-too-stiff and inconsistently stiff zoom ring. A sample variation, I suppose, as I've had 4 Tamron lenses of this era and 3 have been perfect.

I've just informed E-infinity and expect them to ask me to send the lens back to them (a UK return address, I hope) for repair.

Prices have shot up since yesterday with the pound dollar rate today, most things gone up £50 or more.

The return (of my stiff-zooming Tamron lens mentioned above) to E-infinity was received a month ago. Not heard anything back yet. Just sent a nudge email to Customer Services.

This has been a bit of a nightmare. Bought a basic 18-55 lens to tide me over.

More ASAP...

The return (of my stiff-zooming Tamron lens mentioned above) to E-infinity was received a month ago. Not heard anything back yet. Just sent a nudge email to Customer Services.

This has been a bit of a nightmare. Bought a basic 18-55 lens to tide me over.

More ASAP...
Is it possible to start a PayPal dispute?

Is it possible to start a PayPal dispute?
Might be. But TBH, having chosen to buy a grey import, I feel it's only fair to let them have a go at fixing it first.

This is the unknown bit of these grey importers - is there just a team of bods in an office somewhere who do the admin but never see the boxes? If so, do they have streamlined processes in place for getting repairs done? I'll keep the thread updated with progress in case it helps other would-be buyers decide.

^ Update to the post above:

E-Infinity Customer Service confirms receipt of the lens, says 4-12 weeks for the repair to be completed. They've had it 4 weeks so far.

My understanding was they normally just refund you the repair charge after you have it done locally.
I am surprised you had to ship the lens back.

My understanding was they normally just refund you the repair charge after you have it done locally.
I am surprised you had to ship the lens back.

Indeed. They asked me to get a local repair shop (Campkins in Cambridge) to do an estimate, but their local bod couldn't fix it. Campkins then sent it to Fixation who quoted £360 or so. At that point E-Infinity baulked and asked me to return it to them.

^ Update to the post above:

E-Infinity Customer Service confirms receipt of the lens, says 4-12 weeks for the repair to be completed. They've had it 4 weeks so far.
From memory some legit UK places can take many weeks can't they.

Another update: E-infinity now says that their "repair agent" (whoever and wherever that might be) can find no fault with the lens - Tamron 18-300 Fuji X with sticky zoom ring.

I've reminded them that Fixation found the fault and wanted £360 to repair it. Waiting for their reply...

Another update: E-infinity now says that their "repair agent" (whoever and wherever that might be) can find no fault with the lens - Tamron 18-300 Fuji X with sticky zoom ring.

I've reminded them that Fixation found the fault and wanted £360 to repair it. Waiting for their reply...
Sorry that you are having trouble with e-infinity and I hope you can get it resolved with them.

If all else fails then ( assuming you did pay by credit card ) you can make a section 75 claim. The only time limit is the UK's statute of limitations for such actions - 6 years. Debit card chargeback claims have just 120 days in contrast.

Section 75 does apply to foreign purchases as well as domestic ones.

e-infinity gave me the runaround for months some years ago when I had an issue with a Panasonic 100-400. Like you, I sent the lens back to their UK address but they kept stalling on an update for the repair. This was the days when they had PayPal as a payment option so, after more emails to e-infinity and due notice of intention to act, I raised a case with Paypal and got a full refund.

I would still use them if they were really really cheap but assume no "warranty". The later does work out for some but its at their discretion. They are just box shifters after all. I tend to use Panamoz and Hdew for gray market stuff. They are more expensive most of the time but they are factoring in a real 3 year UK based warranty hwich probably adds 5-10%.

Good luck

Richard

Last edited:
Sorry that you are having trouble with e-infinity and I hope you can get it resolved with them.

If all else fails then ( assuming you did pay by credit card ) you can make a section 75 claim. The only time limit is the UK's statute of limitations for such actions - 6 years. Debit card chargeback claims have just 120 days in contrast.

e-infinity gave me the runaround for months some years ago when I had an issue with a Panasonic 100-400. Like you, I sent the lens back to their UK address but they kept stalling on an update for the repair. This was the days when they had PayPal as a payment option so, after more emails to e-infinity and due notice of intention to act, I raised a case with Paypal and got a full refund.

I would still use them if they were really really cheap but assume no "warranty". The later does work out for some but its at their discretion. They are just box shifters after all. I tend to use Panamoz and Hdew for gray market stuff. They are more expensive most of the time but they are factoring in a real 3 year UK based warranty hwich probably adds 5-10%.

Good luck

Richard
They do still offer PayPal as an option, it's just fairly well hidden and will be fully removed at some point.

I asked them last time I used and they provided the instructions below which worked:

During your checkout, please click " Ten Times" between the logos of "Visa Secure" and "MasterCard Secure Code"

Good luck

Richard

Thanks, Richard. Hopefully they will do the right thing. Obviously, neither me nor E-infinity wants to pay £360 for a repair of a £590 lens.

It was indeed bought with a credit card, in April this year. I didn't hear back yet after reminding them of the Fixation repair quote, but it's still holiday season and I will cut them some slack. If they don't agree, I'll check the s75 route.

It has made me wonder where they source stuff. There's no way this sticky zoom ring would pass final QC. It's the type of inconsistent feel that makes you under- and then over-shoot the focal length you want. I've had many Tamron lenses (used and new) that had superbly smooth and consistent and predictable zooming.

They do still offer PayPal as an option, it's just fairly well hidden and will be fully removed at some point.

I asked them last time I used and they provided the instructions below which worked:

During your checkout, please click " Ten Times" between the logos of "Visa Secure" and "MasterCard Secure Code"
Great work and thanks for that - I have copied to my Notes.

I really thought they had stopped ( possibly because they were tired of the claims ). Think its only 6 months to claim with Paypal and you lose section 75 rights but, on the occasions I have had to use that process - once with einfin but others - it was so quick ( and they found for me ).

Richard

Last edited:
I have just tried the Paypal hidden feature and it works, why not offer this as standard? Seems really strange to hide this

I have just tried the Paypal hidden feature and it works, why not offer this as standard? Seems really strange to hide this
Ask yourself why would they try to hide this? Clearly they don't want customers using Paypal if at all possible, whether it's the % paypal take or the ease to refund option they don't what customers to have access to. I've always had the feeling that it simply isn't as "trustworthy" or "legit" as Panamoz, even though I've ordered without too much hassle in the past, I've always favoured Panamoz up until they're about £150 more expensive than e-infin.

Not sure what my next step is regarding my latest order, I'm 4 weeks in, I've had the usual photo of my new camera and lens but that's it, it has never shipped.
I have sent numerous emails but none have been replied to so now I don't know what to do ?

Not sure what my next step is regarding my latest order, I'm 4 weeks in, I've had the usual photo of my new camera and lens but that's it, it has never shipped.
I have sent numerous emails but none have been replied to so now I don't know what to do ?

I believe e-infinity closed down for Christmas/New Year a couple of weeks ago and looking on their web site this morning they have just started back so hopefully they will respond to your emails shortly.. I ordered a Canon R5 and a couple of lenses on the 9th December and they were delivered about a week later so kit was still being sent out in mid December. Hopefully your order will be on your doorstep soon.

I believe e-infinity closed down for Christmas/New Year a couple of weeks ago and looking on their web site this morning they have just started back so hopefully they will respond to your emails shortly.. I ordered a Canon R5 and a couple of lenses on the 9th December and they were delivered about a week later so kit was still being sent out in mid December. Hopefully your order will be on your doorstep soon.
Hopefully! I did order another lens a week before my new order for a camera and lens, and that turned up within a week which is the quickest service I have received from them.

I received an email back at lunchtime saying my parcel will be delivered tomorrow even though I never received an email confirming the shipment! Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow

I received an email back at lunchtime saying my parcel will be delivered tomorrow even though I never received an email confirming the shipment! Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow
I don't think I've ever had anything other than it's shipped from hong Kong. The photo. Then the it's due tomorrow, emails.
I think it's all done in batches so if you are at the wrong end of a batch it takes longer if you get the timing right it's a couple of weeks at most.

No reply at all from E-infinity now (after 3 nudges).

As they have had it longer than the 12 weeks they said that they needed, I've asked for a refund. Given them 14 days to refund and then will try the s75 route.

No reply at all from E-infinity now (after 3 nudges).

As they have had it longer than the 12 weeks they said that they needed, I've asked for a refund. Given them 14 days to refund and then will try the s75 route.
Good luck, keep us updated on how you get on

Well, Customer Services at E-infinity have now been back and in touch and they are sticking to their guns, repeating the same claim that their repairer says nothing wrong with the lens. Twice I have reminded them that Campkins (in Cambridge) and Fixation found the fault. Anyone handling the lens would find the fault within 10s.

E-infinity's latest is the extra addition in bold:

"If you can find the second opinion from another repair center with reasonable cost, we are happy to reimburse you."

So I've had not only a second, but a third opinion, but now they are saying they won't cover Fixation's repair charge as they claim it's not reasonable.

I will start a s75 claim with the credit card company. I'll post an update with how that goes.

Definitely keep us all updated. I like others limit myself to lenses with E-Infinity.
I guess it's what credit cards are for, and PayPal.

Everything now submitted to the credit card company (via Nationwide online portal). I also forwarded Fixation's quotation for fixing the lens (very kindly Fixation's support team sent it to me, even though the lens had been sent in by my local camera shop). Meanwhile, E-infinity insists there's nothing wrong and wants to return the lens. And I wait.

Weirdly, the whole thing has rather soured my 18-300mm experience, and I am not sure I'll buy another. Which is a shame, because it's an excellent all-day/tourism lens. For now I have the Fuji kit 18-55mm.

It's certainly making me think twice about using them again.
I've never needed after sale support.

Well, case closed, I think.

I didn't hear back from my credit card company (Nationwide), but a credit for the purchase price of the lens has suddenly appeared in my credit card account,. So I presume that Nationwide decided in my favour. I've heard nothing more from E-infinity.

In hindsight, I think it's lucky that E-infinity's first response was to ask me to get a local camera shop to quote for repair. And that's what got me an expert opinion that there was something wrong (i.e. not just me be picky about how smoothly a lens' zoom action should be). If E-infinity had just asked me to send it back, and then told me there was nothing wrong and returned it, I might just have put up with it.

EDITED TO ADD: Just (25th Jan) received a printed letter by mail from Nationwide, saying that the refund is a reversal of the original transaction, and that they are contacting the 'other party'. It also explains that they may reverse the reversal. So I'm not counting my chickens quite yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used E-Infinity, Panamoz and Digital Rev - my go to is usually Panamoz, but having read the above, I'll steer clear of E-Infinity in future. It only takes the poor handling of a customer concern for a company to loose business, and no doubt this thread will be indexed in google searches, so other potential customers can also see your negative experience.

I didn't hear back from my credit card company (Nationwide), but a credit for the purchase price of the lens has suddenly appeared in my credit card account,. So I presume that Nationwide decided in my favour. I've heard nothing more from E-infinity.

In hindsight, I think it's lucky that E-infinity's first response was to ask me to get a local camera shop to quote for repair. And that's what got me an expert opinion that there was something wrong (i.e. not just me be picky about how smoothly a lens' zoom action should be). If E-infinity had just asked me to send it back, and then told me there was nothing wrong and returned it, I might just have put up with it.
So are you out of pocket still for the quote for repair?

Be interesting to see if you hear from E-Infinity.

Good to know section 75 works with grey imports. Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sharing your experience.

So are you out of pocket still for the quote for repair?

Be interesting to see if you hear from E-Infinity.
Yes, but just £10, which I'll write off to experience. A cheap lesson given the overall amount.

From now on, I think I will stick to used camera gear that's still in warranty - or with MPB/etc used warranty - instead of grey imports.

Back