Anyone used WEX or MPB to trade in?

I got a quote from MPB last week for a hell of a lot of gear i’m selling one item being a Nikon 200-500 in mint condition and they offered £600 yet they are selling a used damaged one for over £900? the other prices offered weren’t much better either so just waiting for the quote from WEX.

Last edited:
I got a quote from MPB last week for a hell of a lot of gear i’m selling one item being a Nikon 200-500 in mint condition and they offered £600 yet they are selling a used damaged one for over £900? the other prices offered weren’t much better either so just waiting for the quote from WEX.

Just a thought ~ try Camera Jungle as another comparison?

I used WEX last to trade in a lens against two new ones. Once they inspected my lens they paid me more than I was expecting as they felt it was better condition than I said it was. They also honoured the discount on the new lenses I purchased as I had it taken around 5 days to sort out the trade in. All in all very good, I got more than I was expecting for the trade in and also got the extra discount even though it finished 5 days before I finished the purchases. Can’t fault WEX for anything. It’s just a shame they don’t do trade ins for cash like MPB.

Just a thought ~ try Camera Jungle as another comparison?

Yeah thanks for the heads up, I noticed that name cropping up in a few of the other comments, Just looked at them so will give them a go but looks like they are not interested in bags, tripods, accessories etc.

Yeah thanks for the heads up, I noticed that name cropping up in a few of the other comments, Just looked at them so will give them a go but looks like they are not interested in bags, tripods, accessories etc.
Yes, AFAIK only the hardware. I recall CJ as being described as (mostly?) interested in higher spec gear such as say Canon 5series i.e. semi pro gear owned by (serious) amateurs = good condition low shutter count stuff. This is perhaps too much of a generalisation....but that may influence how they view kit.

Cannot hurt to see how they 'rate' your gear using their online quotation system?

Sounds about right to me, profit on that is £200 as £50 is VAT

A £200 margin on £800 isn't great when you consider they warrant the items they sell and a repair could be 2x that

I went to buy a car at auction once, unless you have an account with them the buyers fees made it the same money as buying private , never been since , I especially liked the catalogue sold to me on yellow paper as a non account holder rather than white so I was identified as a mug to be bid up by the trade , it went straight in the bin

Its a murky world, I stopped doing it because my jealous neighbours started to deliberately vandalise the cars

Yeah I will get a quote from them for the hardware which is all in excellent condition then shift the accessories etc on various platforms.

I used MPB for selling this week for the first time. They quoted me on a "like new" condition lens. It was collected from my house on Tuesday afternoon, delivered to MPB by Wednesday morning, inspected and the full quote amount was paid by 5pm the same day.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how quick the whole process was. Yes, I got less money than I would have selling privately, but I think it was worth it for avoiding the hassle of facebook/ebay/forum selling.

Had a bad quote from MPB, they down graded the offer for a tiny mark for an otherwise as new bit of kit knocking £275 off there quote. I got a better in the end from Park camera, where they couldn't believe they took any notice of the mark.

I know someone else they dropped very low quotes to buy as well recently.

What they sell seems good for they money, for the buyer, but really not sure for the person selling.

I needed to sell an unused lens for cash this week. MPB gave me a reasonable quote and their courier collected it on Monday, got 2 e mails on Tuesday confirming receipt and then a second confirming the offer. Money was in my bank account on Wednesday evening. Can’t complain about that!

Back