Anyone using Adobe Portfolio as their website?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Currently I have a zenfolio website and its up for renewal in January. I'm currently wondering if there is any benefit to keeping it as its £60 per year. I don't sell from it and if I did the cost would be much more too. Whilst recently reading up about Adobe CC I've noticed Adobe Portfolio is bundled with CC, and I'm wondering if this would make a good portfolio showcase. The only thing I see missing from Adobe Portfolio is a blog but I gave there is a way to link an external blog site.

Does anyone here use Adobe Portfolio as their website and what do you make of it?

Well if you launch PORTFOLIO you can view some examples.
Unfortunately I can't as I don't yet have CC, it's more of a future plan to see if it's worth renewing zenfolio in January. If I don't review zenfolio that's 50% of annual cost of CC and makes CC more justifiable for my Lightroom only use if portfolio can double as my website. I've seen a few examples on the Adobe website but that's a little bit more difficult considering several were not in English. It would be interesting to see what is possible.

That reads like a bit of an "advertorial" TBH......

Regardless, it still gives you a link to a website built using adobe portfolio, which was what was being asked for. And at least he is a well known photographer who isn't selling SquareSpace.

There is a page of examples with links to the full sites available https://www.myportfolio.com/examples

Or have you already found that and it isn't helping.

There is also this, with a link to his (I meant to say "to Scott Bournes" ) myportfolio website

https://photofocus.com/2017/01/30/a-year-with-adobe-portfolio/
I had found that Adobe examples look but it doesn't give many good ones. Thanks for the link to Scott's site. That's a great example of what can be done. I like the education page and how he uses spark(?) to create webpages. That gives me an idea that it could be used to produce a blog type setup.

I had found that Adobe examples look but it doesn't give many good ones. Thanks for the link to Scott's site. That's a great example of what can be done. I like the education page and how he uses spark(?) to create webpages. That gives me an idea that it could be used to produce a blog type setup.
Yes, it was interesting to see Spark used, I've seen it on my available downloads list, but have never understood what it does, still don't really :)

I hope this thread turns out useful, as I have been thinking I should take advantage of the Portfolio feature and increase the value I get out of my Adobe sub.

Will be watching this with interest as I was considering this myself. I have a 500px Portfolio at the moment which I added my own domain to, but they are stopping this feature. The Adobe one looks interesting,

I like the education page and how he uses spark(?) to create webpages.

Yes, it was interesting to see Spark used, I've seen it on my available downloads list, but have never understood what it does, still don't really :)

Well last night and early this morning I just completed (half asleep, so don't ask me questions) the Lynda.com courses on Portfolio and Spark, so I have a better idea about both. Spark seems to be capable of designing some very smart and, far to clever for my taste, web page designs that can be embedded as a custom page in Portfolio.

It does seem that by combining the design tools in Spark with the basic but competent looking tools in Portfolio, this could be a very useful (unlimited pages and photographs) website for free if you already have a CC sub.

One thing I noted is that if you map the Portfolio site to your own domain, the site isn't covered by Adobe's SSL certificate, but they are fixing it.

I' pretty confident that I will be taking advantage of this as part of my, from next year, retirement strategy.

I've had a play with spark this evening as it's a free iPad app. It looks like it's an easy app to use and create bespoke web pages. I could see it being a good blog type creator though SEO may suffer with it not being part of the overall site. It's nice to see it's an iPad app so easy to create content without needing a desktop/laptop.

Well I've gone and done it, I sent the cancellation email to Zenfolio yesterday and they have confirmed my zenfolio website will be no more after 6th January. I picked up the Adobe Lightroom CC photography plan during Amazons Black Friday sale so the next month will be spent building the Adobe Portfolio site. Looking forward to creating the new portfolio though after being with zenfolio for 5 years there is a lot to transfer or be lost forever.

Would be good to know how you find the whole experience anything to watch for, tips etc.

Never even heard of this before now so thank you for pointing this out. We get Adobe CC through work so will take a look!

Would be good to know how you find the whole experience anything to watch for, tips etc.
Through research I've found this guide to portfolio so I'm going to use it to create my site.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/files/2016/04/CreatingYourAdobePortfolio-1.pdf

A basic portfolio site looks quite quick and easy to create an image portfolio but I'm going to try to add additional blog style pages using a Spark.

Never even heard of this before now so thank you for pointing this out. We get Adobe CC through work so will take a look!
It's on creative cloud app list but i don't think many get past the Lightroom and photoshop apps.

Well the start of using Portfolio has been an epic and frustrating failure. I just can't navigation around, upload any images or use the manage content tab without getting an error message that tells you to refresh the page.

Abobe Portfolio Error
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Ive tried looking up the issue on adobe forums and it seems another user is getting the same issue but no one has answered their question. So far Adobe Portfolio is making Zenfolio look fantastic (at least it was useable)!!

Last edited:
Well the start of using Portfolio has been an epic and frustrating failure. I just can't navigation around, upload any images or use the manage content tab without getting an error message that tells you to refresh the page.

Abobe Portfolio Error
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Ive tried looking up the issue on adobe forums and it seems another user is getting the same issue but no one has answered their question. So far Adobe Portfolio is making Zenfolio look fantastic (at least it was useable)!!
Not a good start :-(

But it's probably reasonable to assume it will get fixed, frustrating as it is at the moment.

Just playing with it myself, I had this as well but after a few refreshes it went away. Closed all other browser tabs/windows. Does seem to be a bug. I do think however it’s pretty easy to use and it’s included in the subscription.

Just playing with it myself, I had this as well but after a few refreshes it went away. Closed all other browser tabs/windows. Does seem to be a bug. I do think however it’s pretty easy to use and it’s included in the subscription.
Like you say it's it's come up again but after one refresh it's disappeared. Hoping it's better tonight than last night. Manage content is working tonight so hopefully it will be simple to use.

Can I ask what size everyone uploads images at for Portfolio?

After having upload failures I've swapped to google chrome. It seems that Portfolio doesn't like safari. Since using google chrome I've had no errors.

I've done a lot of changing templates, I've now seemed to settled on one and will start the image selection now I've set up the galleries/pages I want visible. Now I'm not getting any errors come up it's actually qyuite intuitive to create a portfolio.

Quick update, galleries are all set up and now filled. Ive tried to recreate my existing website so gone with the photo grid display option. Still a bit more to do using spark to hopefully recreate the photo stories and blog sections I had in zenfolio. Not sure how well spark will do for a blog style replacement but hopefully ok.

If anyone is interested this is where I've got so far:

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com

One thing Ive taken from creating a new website is that I need to focus on the quality and themes of my photography more than a splatter gun approach I have done so far.

I like the nice clean simple look, my only concern is that, when I get round to it, my site may look very similar !
There are other themes available but that's the problem with these template websites they will look quite similar if there only a few themes. I went with this theme as the menu was down the side. I needed the extra room to split up the galleries into landscape, wildlife and projects. When it was at the top it was a little too bunched up running over two lines. I used to have a three tier gallery menu which made for a cleaner menu but adobe only let you have two tiers landscapes>land, whereas with zenfolio it was galleries>landscapes>land

I was was trying to recreate the look of my current zenfolio website as much as possible. You can compare the two with the links below (zenfolio site will up until the end of the month then it's gone).

Adobe Portfolio:

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com/

Zenfolio:

http://www.robcainphotography.com/

Quick update, galleries are all set up and now filled. Ive tried to recreate my existing website so gone with the photo grid display option. Still a bit more to do using spark to hopefully recreate the photo stories and blog sections I had in zenfolio. Not sure how well spark will do for a blog style replacement but hopefully ok.

If anyone is interested this is where I've got so far:

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com

One thing Ive taken from creating a new website is that I need to focus on the quality and themes of my photography more than a splatter gun approach I have done so far.

Fantastic effort Rob! I like the sleek look of it, very easy to navigate around too which is great.

I know what you mean about scatter gun approach. I've been thinking this myself as of late with regards to my Instagram, I need to focus in on a style or a set I can post for say 6 months and then move onto a different one.

Great job!

There are other themes available but that's the problem with these template websites they will look quite similar if there only a few themes. I went with this theme as the menu was down the side. I needed the extra room to split up the galleries into landscape, wildlife and projects. When it was at the top it was a little too bunched up running over two lines. I used to have a three tier gallery menu which made for a cleaner menu but adobe only let you have two tiers landscapes>land, whereas with zenfolio it was galleries>landscapes>land

I was was trying to recreate the look of my current zenfolio website as much as possible. You can compare the two with the links below (zenfolio site will up until the end of the month then it's gone).

Adobe Portfolio:

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com/

Zenfolio:

http://www.robcainphotography.com/
Have to say I prefer the Adobe one Rob!

There are other themes available but that's the problem with these template websites they will look quite similar if there only a few themes.

I looked at the themes available before, but not looked at how customisable they are. But Spark obviously offers options, but I haven't looked at either in detail, and getting "exactly" what you want needs time to learn the capabilities. And you can see from some of the examples that even with a same starting theme, the sites can be different. I still like it as it is, and its very like the site I was visualising in my head, which was partly the reason for me suggesting my site might have looked very similar.

I've moved on to recreating the blog content. Even though Adobe Portfolio doesn't have a true blog setup I've looked at recreating a blog style setup using Adobe Spark. I've recreated my last two blog entries and got them embedded into my portfolio site:

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com/blog

It's not perfect but I quite like the way it's quite similar to my previous blog, barring it isn't actual within the site. It's probably better than nothing. Another option is to create a separate blog and link to that but this will do for the time being.

Edit: on second thoughts tonight I will removing blog as the section title. It isn't a blog so why take that across and try to create it as one?It's the content that I'm trying to recreate and they fit well into the 'photo stories' style section. If I'm honest I only had the blog because it was part of zenfolio and blogs are supposed to be good for SEO (which I'm not that bothered about now).

Last edited:
As the blog page has now been deleted, I've changed the page to photo stories.

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com/photo-stories

I'm surprised how easy it is to create the spark pages and link to them. Its nice to be able to quickly and easily change the image display option after publishing. The ipad app is quite a nice addition, its a shame there isn't an app for Portfolio too.

As the blog page has now been deleted, I've changed the page to photo stories.

https://rob-cain.myportfolio.com/photo-stories

I'm surprised how easy it is to create the spark pages and link to them. Its nice to be able to quickly and easily change the image display option after publishing. The ipad app is quite a nice addition, its a shame there isn't an app for Portfolio too.

When you come to the end of a photo story, there is a link to your main web site, but no direct link back to the photo story pages, this would be convenient if possible, but its all looking pretty good.

Rob, on my browser, I get:

Rob Cain
Photograph
y

as the header for the sidebar/menu.

(the "Y" is centred on your page - odd forum thing - the post and the edit show this, but forum must be set to ignore multiple spaces when displaying)

Last edited:
When you come to the end of a photo story, there is a link to your main web site, but no direct link back to the photo story pages, this would be convenient if possible, but its all looking pretty good.

The photo stories should open in a new tab so you shouldn't lose the original photo story page if you come from the website. The link is there to reach the portfolio if you come across the photo story via another way. I've thought whether they should say 'back to' or just the name of the portfolio. I'm going to have to update the links when I transfer my domain name to the portfolio so can sort it out then.

Rob, on my browser, I get:

Rob Cain
Photograph
y

as the header for the sidebar/menu.

(the "Y" is centred on your page - odd forum thing - the post and the edit show this, but forum must be set to ignore multiple spaces when displaying)
Thanks I had thought i had decreased the font size. I stupidly increased the font size and it's been playing up ever since. Currently I'm looking at replacing it with a logo, hopefully that will sort it.

Back