Anyone using SONY cameras?

..............and how many Sony FF configurations have their been since it's initial launch (Is it 9 full frame cameras in 5 years)? You buy Sony it could be obsolete within a short space of time!

Every time I have bought Sony products in the past I have really liked the product but it has always broken down after an unexpectedly short space of time :-( I won't buy Sony ever again TBH

Nikon has released 17 fx and dx models in 5 years. Sony has released 16 in in the same time. Does that mean Nikon could be obsolete in even less time?

..............and how many Sony FF configurations have their been since it's initial launch (Is it 9 full frame cameras in 5 years)? You buy Sony it could be obsolete within a short space of time!

Every time I have bought Sony products in the past I have really liked the product but it has always broken down after an unexpectedly short space of time :-( I won't buy Sony ever again TBH
Cameras don't stop working (unless they're yours) just because they're not the latest model. And the difference between Sony and other manufacturers is that the older models are still available at a lower price point so not obsolete at all.

Indeed. I'm still using the A7 I ordered before they hit the shops and should anyone want one they can buy a brand new one today. It's a cheap way into FF, £649 after cash back today. I don't think that's too bad for a FF compact mirrorless camera. You can easily pay that for a small sensor body.

And the A6000 is still in production and still a great camera in its class despite the adition of the 6300 and 6500

Nikon has released 17 fx and dx models in 5 years. Sony has released 16 in in the same time. Does that mean Nikon could be obsolete in even less time?

I was referring to 9 releases of the A7xx in the last five years'

In relation to obsolete the constant model revision surely hits used price sales at 'upgrade' time? I don't keep that much of an eye on camera prices but wasn't the A7 when new circa £1600 for a body around 5 years ago? If Alan says you can get a new A7 body for £649 today (agree it really is great value!) then second hand prices really suffer - eBay shows one for £180 in excellent condition. Is that not quite a big hit? (I might be quite wrong here).

I was referring to 9 releases of the A7xx in the last five years'

In relation to obsolete the constant model revision surely hits used price sales at 'upgrade' time? I don't keep that much of an eye on camera prices but wasn't the A7 when new circa £1600 for a body around 5 years ago? If Alan says you can get a new A7 body for £649 today (agree it really is great value!) then second hand prices really suffer - eBay shows one for £180 in excellent condition. Is that not quite a big hit? (I might be quite wrong here).
Sony A Mount hold there value quite well, as for the A7 not seen one go for less than £300 on E Bay.

Sony A Mount hold there value quite well, as for the A7 not seen one go for less than £300 on E Bay.

Yes, sorry my mistake the £180 is an auction - doh!

Nikon D750 was around £2K when launched in 2014? Still gets circa £1K on second hand market so around 50% depreciation.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry my mistake the £180 is an auction - doh!

Nikon D750 was around £2K when launched in 2014? Still gets circa £1K on second hand market so around 50% depreciation.

Popular cameras tend to hold value, the d600 was 2k at launch now they're 500 used. D610 around 600 if you're lucky. A7 tend to fetch 450 in great condition, new it was 1300 body only at launch. Work out the depreciation.

Last edited:
Sony do seem to have nailed a decent body ecosystem by keeping older models in production when you compare to Nikon as an example.

Sony A9 competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D5
Sony A7RIII competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D850 & Z7
Sony A7III competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon Z6

Sony 7RII competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D810
Sony A7II competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D750

Sony A7 compete with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D610

Not only are Sony delivering a better specification at every level than Nikon they are also generally cheaper as well which is incredible really.

Last edited:
Sony do seem to have nailed a decent body ecosystem by keeping older models in production when you compare to Nikon as an example.

Sony A9 competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D5
Sony A7RIII competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D850 & Z7
Sony A7III competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon Z6

Sony 7RII competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D810
Sony A7II competes with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D750

Sony A7 compete with and exceeds the spec of the Nikon D610

Not only are Sony delivering a better specification at every level than Nikon they are also generally cheaper as well which is incredible really.

ROTFL! :LOL:

I think, people do like switching to Sony for it’s constant firmware updates and hardwire innovations. Sony’s just innovating faster, so they’re putting in a lot of features, specially to things like autofocus that are much better than on Canon or Nikon or any other kind of brand.

Back