Anyone using SONY cameras?

In 2008 I'd been watching the digital DSLR market for a few years, trying to decide what system to buy into. Film had been replaced with digital sensors and memory cards. The darkroom had been replaced by computers and digital printers. My shortlist had become Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony.

It was clear to me that the next things to be replaced by modern digital electronics would be the clockwork flipping mirror and shutter. That would remove two important sources of camera vibration during shooting, increase reliability, reduce manufacturing costs, remove the calibration problems of using separate dedicated AF sensors, and enable all sorts of useful new features. But the old clockwork technology had been well polished by decades of research and development and I guessed it would take at least a decade for the necessary new digital technology to become good enough to replace the old mechanical SLR technology.

In other words, the long term future would be mirrorless, and the important questions in choosing a system would be how the current camera system makers would handle the disruptive technology transition. I thought that one of Canon & Nikon might stumble badly at the mirrorless technology hurdle, and that Sony was the most likely to end up in the lead once the dust had settled. So I bought a Sony DSLR (the now very popular E-mount series hadn't yet been invented). My current Sony is an A77, one of Sony's SLT A-mount cameras which replaced their DSLRs with a hybrid of DSLR and mirrorless technologies.

Ten years later in 2018 nothing has happened to change my mind. I'm waiting to see what upgrade path Sony provides for its A-mount users. My guess is that it will either be the provision of a new technology improved adapter, without the SLT mirror, for E-mount to use A-mount lenses, or else, probably after an intermediate upgrade to an A77iii and possibly an A99iii, a new backwards compatible A+ mount, including the modern options of electronic aperture control and camera controlled power zoom, etc., and using the extra space of the now mirrorless A-mount bodies to incorporate new technology, such as more sensor movements on top of IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) to allow such things as in-camera tilt-shift.

I think your in for a shock A mount is a dead technology.

It is camera forum. I wish to know why they had chosen Sony over the likes of Nikon or Canon!

When I was looking for an entry-level DSLR at the end of 2013 I evaluated a number of cameras. Entry-level Canon was crude and deficient in key features, entry-level Nikon was tiny and offered cramped handling and a very dim viewfinder and entry-level Pentax was good but with a smallish choice of lenses. I bought a Sony A58, and was pleased with the good build quality, decent senor, excellent autofocus and metering, very effective EVF and the fact that it also took minolta lenses on a really good mount.

I've since acquired a Nikon D610 because I wanted to return full-frame shooting. While the Nikon sensor is better in terms of dynamic range and noise handling, the camera seems no better built and AF is distinctly less good in low light, while the spot in spot metering is more like central 10%. I use the Nikon now, but would have preferred a Sony equivalent if it had been available at the time in a similar fashion.

Not according to any of the statements made by Sony executives, and not according to the past update schedules of the current A-mount models, the oldest of which (the A77ii) is due for an update in 2018/19. But of course you might be right. Can you supply me with the evidence on which you've based your claim that the A-mount is dead, so I can check it?

Not according to any of the statements made by Sony executives, and not according to the past update schedules of the current A-mount models, the oldest of which (the A77ii) is due for an update in 2018/19. But of course you might be right. Can you supply me with the evidence on which you've based your claim that the A-mount is dead, so I can check it?

:D

You need to get out of the house more often.

Yup, E mount has exceeded A mount performance. They have done what Canikon will eventually do... Provide a couple new cameras to keep existing users happy and slow down that mounts production and eventually phase it out. SLT was always a stop gap till they developed on sensor phase.

Last edited:
Yup, E mount has exceeded A mount performance. They have done what Canikon will eventually do... Provide a couple new cameras to keep existing users happy and slow down that mounts production and eventually phase it out. SLT was always a stop gap till they
developed on sensor phase.

One of the things that stops me going all in with Sony, is that they are a ruthless company. I don't think it will happen now, but a couple of years back I could have easily seen them dropping the whole camera line if it proved a dead weight.

That comes from buying betamax and mini disc.... :D

One of the things that stops me going all in with Sony, is that they are a ruthless company. I don't think it will happen now, but a couple of years back I could have easily seen them dropping the whole camera line if it proved a dead weight.

I think they try to be unique, but change tack when market forces act.
Tried it with their early mp3 players and proprietary software that restricted where you could download music.
Soon changed so the players worked via media player when others got in on the non iPod scene.

Must have thrown a huge sum at the ff mirrorless range and think they might end up just with them one day.
My only experience was with the first model, hated how it felt in the hand and never looked again.

I think they try to be unique, but change tack when market forces act.
Tried it with their early mp3 players and proprietary software that restricted where you could download music.
Soon changed so the players worked via media player when others got in on the non iPod scene.

Must have thrown a huge sum at the ff mirrorless range and think they might end up just with them one day.
My only experience was with the first model, hated how it felt in the hand and never looked again.

I had one of those as well, swapped it for the Creative player. The small brick that held about a million mp3's!

I'll be honest, the handling still isn't great, adding an L-plate grip extender does improve things. Adding the battery grip helps as well. I think Canon and Nikon have got the handling/ergonomics down better. Fast FF lenses are big and you need a decent body/grip/handling to deal with that.

Remember FD to Eos? Samsung? Sony aren't the only ruthless company.

I bought my wife a Sony A6000 crop sensor as she wanted something smaller than my 5D3,
I have used it and find it an excellent camera, I also have a 700D 18:135 STM, for holidays and day to day, and there is no comparison to image quality, noise and audio input; the Sony is far better in every way.
My Canon 5D3 is also an excellent camera and the selection of lenses I have would make it impractical for me to change horses now, but if I was starting again I would certainly consider the more recent competition.
I am not a fan of the Sony interface as it seems to very specific and not as well supported by other 3rd party suppliers, although my investigations have not been very full on.
Since I bought the A600 I have added a sigma 35mm 1.4 and the Sony 55 - 210, and it is really becoming the go to camera for holidays and social occassions.

It is camera forum. I wish to know why they had chosen Sony over the likes of Nikon or Canon!
That went whoosh straight over your head didn't it :D

There's already hundreds of pages on here discussing the various pro's and cons of every camera make/model you can imagine and why people have chosen a particular system, then switched, then switched back, then switched again ;)

Some people even love their kit so much they can't bring themselves to use it so they buy a cabinet and put it in there to stare at with a loving look in their eye :fuji::sony::olympus::canon::nikon::pentax:

In terms of full frame Sony are outselling others by a good bit so Nikon and Canon are no longer the most popular choice.

Sony currently have the best mirrorless full frame system.

I personally waited for a good bit before switching from Nikon. The z series was the final nail in the coffin for me.

:sony:

This for me too.

Maybe not, but they are the only one actually relevant to my post.
Ah, sorry for bringing some balance and a wider view to the thread. I let you get back to your selective criticism.

Maybe not, but they are the only one actually relevant to my post.
or Olympus.....twice.......... or Nikons wierd update policy on their F-mount lenses while claiming a backward compatibility which is far from always true. And now it seems within a few years both Nikon and Canon will butcher their DSLR's and lenses.
You cant blame companies for taking measures to stay in business even if it means butchering products that dont sell well because the wast majority of consumers want something else

Ah, sorry for bringing some balance and a wider view to the thread. I let you get back to your selective criticism.

Your post was completely irrelevant.

Edit: short reply is short. My post was my personal thoughts on why I was reluctant to put a not unsubstantial amount of money into the Sony camera system. It wasn't about choosing a camera system between manufacturers but investing in a specific company I wasn't sure was going to continue to support the system. Things have moved on.

Last edited:
or Olympus.....twice.......... or Nikons wierd update policy on their F-mount lenses while claiming a backward compatibility which is far from always true. And now it seems within a few years both Nikon and Canon will butcher their DSLR's and lenses.
You cant blame companies for taking measures to stay in business even if it means butchering products that dont sell well because the wast majority of consumers want something else

I don't blame companies at all for doing what they need to make money, that's why they exist. My post was just about my reluctance to put a lot of money into a Sony system at a time when I wasn't convinced they'd stay the course. I'm pretty sure we're past that point now though, unless Canikon start selling really well... :eek:

Anyone who is using SONY cameras, and why did you choose it over the 2 most popular cameras, Nikon & Canon?
Went in a few shops rounds central London to try them, including fuji and olympus. Liked Sony ergonomics best, loved the loxia lenses.

..............and how many Sony FF configurations have their been since it's initial launch (Is it 9 full frame cameras in 5 years)? You buy Sony it could be obsolete within a short space of time!

Every time I have bought Sony products in the past I have really liked the product but it has always broken down after an unexpectedly short space of time :-( I won't buy Sony ever again TBH

Last edited:
..............and how many Sony FF configurations have their been since it's initial launch (Is it 9 full frame cameras in 5 years)? You buy Sony it could be obsolete within a short space of time!

Every time I have bought Sony products in the past I have really liked the product but it has always broken down after an unexpectedly short space of time :-( I won't buy Sony ever again TBH

Sony’s A7/9 body cycle isn’t much different from most other manufacturers to be fair.
Sony is innovating and pushing the technology forwards so until this slows down, you will get new body release more often, I think the Sony A7 series is on a 2-3 year body cycle now.
It’s a shame every Sony product you’ve had has broken down, my experience is the exact opposite and I’m sure your experience is in the minority when you see so many happy A7/A9 owners.

Don’t buy Sony products again, your loss imo ;)

Sony’s A7/9 body cycle isn’t much different from most other manufacturers to be fair.
Sony is innovating and pushing the technology forwards so until this slows down, you will get new body release more often, I think the Sony A7 series is on a 2-3 year body cycle now.
It’s a shame every Sony product you’ve had has broken down, my experience is the exact opposite and I’m sure your experience is in the minority when you see so many happy A7/A9 owners.

Don’t buy Sony products again, your loss imo ;)

Hi Riz,

we have been here before regarding the reliability of Sony products:

https://www.wired.com/2010/01/sony-kill-switch/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7054587/The-myth-of-the-Sony-kill-switch.html

We all know that media can always tell one side of the story.
People are very quick to share negatives as apposed to positives when it comes to customer satisfaction.
I’ve spent the best part £30-40k on various Sony products, totally happy here. :)

Depends on what you consider Sony FF.

I shoot with a pair of Sony A900's - which are FF, released in 2008, and both are very reliable - I've had one problem with one of them (mirror detached), which Sony UK repaired with a complete new mirror box assembly for £175 (this was several years back, when they had a fixed price for any camera repair) despite the camera having been discontinued at the time and bought privately second hand. Prior to the A900 I had an A200 and A700 - both faultless.

I've also got an A6000 as my 'travel camera' - never had a problem with it.

Other Sony gear includes I have a TV / Surround sound / Blu-ray system that is at least 5 years old, never had a problem.

Oh, and before you trot out the usual 'Sony Fanboy' line that seem a common response, I use Canon printers, and we have a range of other manufacturers gear for other household devices and electronics - basically whichever brand offers the right balance of features, price, etc. when I buy it (and for DSLR, the Sony A200 offered a lot more than the Canon or Nikon options at the time).

Back