Anyone using teleconverters?

Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking about getting a 1.4 to take my 300 upto 420mm F4 as summer approaches.

However, will I loose auto focus as I have read conflicting advice online to be honest.

So, anyone aware?

Thanks.

You can Auto focus with a combination upto F8 on a 1 series body and f5.6 on all others.

I dont know if canon converters work on Sigma or if you need Sigma Converters.

No probs at all. On a 1 Series body your f4 would become an f5.6 (losing 1 stop)

With a 2X converter you'd lose two stops giving you f8 on the same lens so you'd still have AF. :)

I have the 300 f4 IS / 1.4x and it works well on my 20D. AF works very well so with the 300 f2.8 and a 1 series camera it'll be superb!

Thanks people.

Looking to turn my 300mm 2.8 into something longer for a spring/summer of sport and this will save me £4850.00 on the Canon 400mm 2.8. ;)

Looking back at my stock, I was getting decent bokeh at 5.6 from my old 100 - 400L before it moved on, so F4 upclose and personal with Rugby etc will be lovely.

Pete.

But not as nice as 2.8 :)

Double posting

Most of my recent posts have been using a 1.4 on the sigma 2.8 70-200. occasionally the 2x converter. Loosing the ood stop causes less noise than having to do a severe crop of an image

Thanks people.

Looking to turn my 300mm 2.8 into something longer for a spring/summer of sport and this will save me £4850.00 on the Canon 400mm 2.8. ;)

Looking back at my stock, I was getting decent bokeh at 5.6 from my old 100 - 400L before it moved on, so F4 upclose and personal with Rugby etc will be lovely.

Pete.

Is that the Canon 300mm 2.8? I know Sigma do one as well which is very good as well.

If it is the Canon 2.8 then you have a most wonderful bit of kit that shows virtually no image deterioration with the Canon 1.4 extender and also works very well with the x2.

For examples, images 3 and 4 here were taken with the Canon 300mm 2.8 and Canon x2 convertor.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15826

So of you wanted to go to a 5.6 600mm then I wouldn't be worried about trying. :D

I suspect the Sigma wouldn't be too bad either.

IR, he sues a Sigma 300 2.8

Diego, I use a Sigma 1.4tx on my 120-300 28. On the D70 I found AF was slightly affected, but couldnt tell any difference in PQ. I am yet to try it on the D200.

For £140, I would certainly give it a go.

BTW, maximum functionality comes from using a TC from the same brand as the lens. The Canon may give higher IQ tho, but at a higher cost.

I've the 1.4Tx DG. It does what is ses on the tin, at the expense of some IQ.
You can have a play with it next Sunday if you like

OK i know the fence is distracting, this is 600mm with 2x TC on it !

0204-145236.jpg

I've got a 1.4 and a 2x for my Sigma 120-300mm
I've used the 1.4 a lot (had it longer) and will be testing the 2x soon.

With the 1.4 there is no niticable drop ins quality. Also I find AF is hardly affected too. I'm expecting less favourable results with a 2x but we'll see. Look out for my upcoming test :)

Back