Anyone with the 17" MacBook Pro?

Edit My Images
Yes
And if so, can I pick your brains?

Mainly I want to know if you went for the glossy or matte screen, why you chose the option you did and how you're getting on with it. I've not been able to see the two screens side-by-side and while I intend to, I'd welcome any informed opinions. I'm just a bit wary of the glossy screen being a nightmare when it comes to reflections and I'm considering the 17" matte as an option, just in case the 15" doesn't get a slight upgrade come WWDC.

The other things I'd like to know have to do with the display itself. I understand that the panel has an extended gamut over that of the 15" MacBook Pro but I'm unable (or just bad at searching) to find any specs for it. You know the score; stuff like gamut, colour accuracy, etc etc.

I bought both when they were initially launched. I couldn't wait for the delivery date on the matt screen (it was pushed back weeks) so I got myself the gloss one and then the matt.

How good is the difference, I haven't been able to pry the matt from my daughter's hand. There is no way in Hell that she'll let me have it. Yes, I wish I had waited, but I didn't ... so, I have to make do with this.

Cosmetically, there is a difference; the matt has a silver aluminium bezel around the screen (the same colour as the body of the laptop), while the glossy one has a black bezel (it looks nicer .. but who cares about looks).

Sorry, can't help with the colour gamut vs. 15" MBP as I have no idea about that.

Hi Wail,

I thought someone on here had purchased one, but I didn't realise you'd bought two!

As much as the 15" MBP is a thing of beauty (I'm typing this from it and marveling at the backlit keyboard amongst other things) the glossy screen is driving me nuts. My eye keeps catching reflections in it and I end up almost looking 'through' the screen. Very disorientating.

The cost of the 17" is somewhat prohibitive, but unless Apple announce matte screens for the rest of the MBP range before WWDC, I can't see how I'm going to live with the glossy on this 15".

If any other unibody MBP users are reading this thread; how did you learn to live with the glossy screen?

If you can find away to justify buying the MBP with a student discount through an approved academic institution then you will save yourself a good 20% of retail prices. That's a huge saving.

As for matt, I can't bring myself to tell my daughter :love: to part with it, and I wish I could sell my gloss to take one. They are far superior, let intrusive, and more relaxing on the eyes.

It was cowasaki who made me wait for the 17", as I wanted to cave in and get myself the 15" .. but he kept making sure I waited and waited and waited ... eventually, I could wait no loner and that's why I got the gloss for me (they were released a good month ahead of the matt).

Hi

I've got the glossy screen 17" from the previous generation and I love it.

I went into the Regent st store in London and tried them both out, and to me the colour rendition is much richer with the glossy screen. I have not suffered issues with screen reflection - possibly because it is back lit? Not sure. Highly recommend it.

Re cost - mine is a refurb model - it saved me a load of cash, comes with the same 1yr Apple warranty, and I couldn't tell it apart from being new. Maybe not every one is in as good condition, but it's a whole lot cheaper than buying new. Worth thinking about perhaps?

If you can find away to justify buying the MBP with a student discount through an approved academic institution then you will save yourself a good 20% of retail prices. That's a huge saving.
Thankfully I can get the HE discount so it softens the blow somewhat.

As for matt, I can't bring myself to tell my daughter :love: to part with it, and I wish I could sell my gloss to take one. They are far superior, let intrusive, and more relaxing on the eyes.
Now that's about as glowing a recommendation as you could get!

Hi

I've got the glossy screen 17" from the previous generation and I love it.

I went into the Regent st store in London and tried them both out, and to me the colour rendition is much richer with the glossy screen. I have not suffered issues with screen reflection - possibly because it is back lit? Not sure. Highly recommend it.
Are you talking about the unibody MBP or the older model?

I couldn't work out if both your purchase and your demo at the Regent St. store was one and the same model, but would love to know.

Bit of a long-shot this, Wail; but you haven't got any photos of the two 17"s side-by-side? That is assuming you've been able to wrestle the matte one off your daughter!

lol ... I will get some done for you tomorrow. She's at the beach (it's our weekends Thursdays and Fridays) and will not be home until much later (probably when I amfast asleep :p).

If you PM me your email address, I can forward you an email I sent to cowasaki of pictures taken of the two. I am sure I can dig that out somewhere :)

(y) .. found the email and in them are a couple of pictures of the matt and glossy screen. There is a HUGE difference between the two which is so very apparent from the pictures.

Are you talking about the unibody MBP or the older model?

I couldn't work out if both your purchase and your demo at the Regent St. store was one and the same model, but would love to know.

I've got the last one from the generation prior to the unibody. I was thinking ths same thing re glossy or matt screen, so I went in to the store to try and then bought a glossy screen refurb model online for the same price as a beefed up 15".

My preference was for the glossy screen, and I rarely have issues with screen reflections - inside or out. And to my eyes, colours are more true/vivid with the glossy screen. But again, it's your preference. I'd really suggest going into a store to try before investing. Currys digital may have something if you don't have a mac store near you?

Back