AP photographer gets an image of "Historic Value"

luck thats what it is. holding the camera up the glass and snap snap snap

Guess you don't have much luck then POAH! Don't remember seeing your work on the front pages!

As a press photographer you hope everyday it will happen to you.
Good image, the picture captures the moment perfectly.

i was about to post this link

its about timing and luck. of course technical know how..

doesnt say what happened about the guy who took the video on his phone

Sometimes I wonder if you're actually just trolling...

To echo Dan, Matt's an excellent photographer and trying to get the shots in a chaotic environment like that is never easy...and made all the more difficult by police and protesters jostling around you. If you read the article, it says he had previously turned off his flash for other shots because the protesters were having a pop at him for it.

You can't just decide you want to stop and go home, you keep getting the shots regardless. If you can PM me your name, I'll keep an eye out for your work on the front pages as well...

Well done Matt - good effort: right place, right time, right attitude.

Well done Matt - good effort: right place, right time, right attitude.

Ditto. I'm sure there was much more to it than luck. He's obviously got a sense for things like this. Analyzing the environment, situation, movement of people etc. Great work.

Ditto. I'm sure there was much more to it than luck. He's obviously got a sense for things like this. Analyzing the environment, situation, movement of people etc. Great work.

Plus it's all about "The Knowledge"...and I don't mean what the cabbies have to do.

Things like, knowing what cars politicians use, and royals. Knowing where they're going (ie. Royal Variety Performance). Knowing what tactics are going to be employed by the police (ie. knowing that when long shields come out, so do the heavy batons).

Being able to see what tinted windows will require what settings on the flash, just by a quick glance...knowing where the nearest free wifi spot is.

James, with that shot of Matt's, how does it work now regarding the photo and payment.

As someone who does not know how these things work, does AP now own the copyright and will Matt actually make anything from this.

I've already heard comments like 'WOW, that will make him a millionaire', which I very much doubt.

He's a staff tog so he gets his normal pay and that's it. His agency will be happy bunnies though!

wouldn't be surprised if he (or AP? erk...dunno how that end of things works) charged for his interviews for that guardian article and his BBC news appearance earlier mind...

Fantastic image, as others have said, the result of sheer skill as a news photographer.

trollololololololol.

that or just stupid...

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but you know when we see togs putting the camera up to the glass on prison vans, would they EVER get a shot of inside as the vans have very dark glass.

I saw this photo on the news yesterday and was remarking how the tog must be good to be able to get that shot in that environment... I certainly wouldn't be able to think on my toes like that!

Why **** on someones fire for no reason? Most of the time I see your name on a forum thread it's spouting nonsense like this. I really do wonder why you are here...

Last edited:
I'm not ****ing on anyones fire - the tog clearly does a good job but you can't tell me its not luck to get a shot like that.

Why **** on someones fire for no reason? Most of the time I see your name on a forum thread it's spouting nonsense like this. I really do wonder why you are here...

Great news photo but historic value? In what way is it of historic value? All it shows is a very scared middle aged woman cowering in the back of a very expensive car while being terrorised by a group of rioting thugs.

TBF I'm not a pap however I do have covers on several automotive and photography magazines ;)

Who said he's a pap?

He's a news photographer...twice in this thread you've insulted me and many others.

Perhaps you'd better just keep the foot in the mouth and not talk...

Slightly off topic, but you know when we see togs putting the camera up to the glass on prison vans, would they EVER get a shot of inside as the vans have very dark glass.

Yep, occasionally you get lucky. The glass is very dark, however with the right settings you can get through the glass with flash.

However, there are a lot of individual compartments in those vans, so you've got a one in 10 (or more) chance of getting your subject...

That requires a lot of luck and just as much skill too.

Not to mention a little bravery. I would have been walking in the opposite direction to steer clear of trouble. Well done on the photo. Even if it doesn't pay in monetary terms it will increase his standing in the photography world.(y)

in the interview he said that some erk tried to grab his camera so I agree he's quite brave going back into the thick of it and running the risk of being fed his magnesium body.

Definately not papping though, thats proper real world news photography and something I wish I could do, and I take my hat off to him.

I'm not ****ing on anyones fire - the tog clearly does a good job but you can't tell me its not luck to get a shot like that.

'the harder I practice, the luckier I get...'

TBF I'm not a pap however I do have covers on several automotive and photography magazines ;)

'pap'? **** off... he's a news photographer. BIG difference. Trolls used to be funny :(

Last edited:
Reminds me of the time the press spoke to Gary Player claiming that his eagle on the 17th was a lucky shot.

Gary answered. "You know, it's a funny thing. The more I practice, the luckier I get".

Oops. duplicated. Sorry.

Putting himself in the right place at the right time is not luck - especially when you factor in the risk he took getting there

But there is no point in trying to argue that point with you really

Good shot and the photographer made his own luck by putting himself and his gear at stake in pursuit of his job.....he wasn't just lucky.
A lot of us would like to get a shot like that i think.

To be honest, if I'd gotten a shot that made it on the front pages of most of the British press; print and digital, I don't think I'd really care what some troll on an internet forum thinks.

loser : 'yeah but it's all down to luck'
winner : 'yo mamma'

I'm not saying that's what Matt would do, but I probably would.

What's the saying...Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

He's obviously a talented photographer, great capture under the circumstances.

Last edited:
Part of the skill of a news tog is being in the right place at the right time.

Luck ? Well I guess Geoff Hurst was lucky 3 times in 1966....

Steve

Oooh dear, the red really doesn't work...there were others available...

but it makes him look all dark and spooky, which is how the press seem to be being, uh, encouraged, to portray him as...

this one:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gallery/2010/dec/14/julian-assange-wikileaks
hit the wire first and was across a lot of the sites until the 'finger' darker read one appeared, when pretty much everywhere changed to using that one... spookier I guess.

photo number 2 in that ^ gallery has an external of all the press trying to get the window shot... in this case, good preparedness, and some luck (which cell in the van was he in) was in play :p

Last edited:

Yeah you are, and it's not the first time. Testino this week isn't it?

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Politicians just don't talk that that anymore, do they...:shake:

Sorry, but I though it was quite lucky as well, and I am not trolling in anyway, I also don't see it as a historical image.

Good on him for being there, getting involved etc, but to say no luck was involved that something actually went down for him to photography seems a little short sighted.

After all, if it was a racing tog who got photos of a spectacular newsworthy crash we'd be saying he was lucky to of picked the place where it happened.

Back