Beginner App to keep track of photo details?

Edit My Images
Yes
This is a bit of a random question but are there any phone apps that allow you to keep track of details of your shots?

Say I'm shooting a load of bands at a festival. Sometimes its easy to lose track of who's who and I wondered if there was an app that helped with that somehow?

The best option would be to add some description metadata onboard the camera but I don't think a 70D can do that on-camera?

If you're going to be putting the band details etc into an app on the phone why not just write a note on your phone and take a photo of it? It would tie in with the set of photos you have perfectly. I'm so clever I amaze myself sometimes.

Last edited:
If you're going to be putting the band details etc into an app on the phone why not just write a note on your phone and take a photo of it? It would tie in with the set of photos you have perfectly. I'm so clever I amaze myself sometimes.

Yeah that would be my low-tech solution but wondered if there was anything a bit more streamlined?

How could entering details, into an app that's remote from your camera and it's images be more streamlined. How would the app know images from 81-105 are of XXX? And then if you delete some it's totally out of sync.

If it were me, the night before, I would write down on idividual bits of paper the names of the bands, then on the day would take a shot of the appropriate one before the band shots. Wouldnt take long to do, in fact it would probably be quicker than entering details into an app.

write down running order and timetable, and deliberately take a obviously bad photo that serves as a bookmark / reminder.

At the weekend I was shooting between 3 stages and one was running well behind which messed up the relative order (hence me asking here for better ideas).

Can you change file name prefix on your camera to help identify different sessions ?

Possibly, I'll look into that. I was hoping that I could add some metadata but that doesn't look possible.

Thanks everyone

buy a 1d series camera, they have a built in audio recorder that lets you record a message that gets tagged to the image- that you can later play back!

buy a 1d series camera, they have a built in audio recorder that lets you record a message that gets tagged to the image- that you can later play back!
^^ This, switch quickly to video before shooting a sequence of images of a certain band and record audio / video of yourself speaking into the camera with the details. Add the metadata in later at the editing stage, sorted.

I'd go with carrying a small notepad and scribbling down the band, then take a picture of it. I always have a notepad and pen on me!

Can you not add a comment to photo in camera? Thought most slr 's had that optionin the settings!

write down running order and timetable, and deliberately take a obviously bad photo that serves as a bookmark / reminder.

I do something very similar with tournament photography - between each one, take a picture of the grass.

Back