Apple Air Pods Pro

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
Air Pods Pro., (not Pro Max).

I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these "Air Pod Pro" in ear head phones. Just wondered if there is anyone on hear that has a pair and if so what's the latency like.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless units which are pretty good sound wise (though not as good as the wired units) but when watching a movie on my iPhone or iPad there is definitely an unacceptable latency which puts lip sync timing out with the movie, obviously with music this doesn't matter. The other thing is they are a tad bulky and after a while I find them uncomfortable.

I've read a number of comparison reviews and the Apple units generally favour quite well up against the Sennheiser's with in general the sound reproduction being not quite as natural, but every reviewer stated they are very comfortable in use. I however can find nothing about if they are better with regards to latency, for some reason I figure they should be being everything would be Apple.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Air Pods Pro., (not Pro Max).

I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these "Air Pod Pro" in ear head phones. Just wondered if there is anyone on hear that has a pair and if so what's the latency like.

I currently have a pair of Senheiser Momentum 2 True Wireless units which are pretty good sound wise (though not as good as the wired units) but when watching a movie on my iPhone or iPad there is definitely an unacceptable latency which puts lip sync timing out with the movie, obviously with music this doesn't matter. The other thing is they are a tad bulky and after a while I find them uncomfortable.

I've read a number of comparison reviews and the Apple units generally favour quite well up against the Senheisers with in general the sound reproduction being not quite as natural, but every reviewer stated they are very comfortable in use. I however can find nothing about if they are better with regards to latency, for some reason I figure they should be being everything would be Apple.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
AirPod Pro native latency is just under 150ms which is pretty good for BT earphones. The Sennheiser's are a little more bass heavy than the AirPod Pros. Frequency response is similar to the Sennheisers.

I'm personally much happier with an Ikko Zerda DAC and a pair of wired 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition over ear headphones. Whilst undoubtedly more clumsy, price is comparable but the sound quality is in a different league.

If you have Apple kit the AirPods will work very well with it. They are introducing 'spacial audio' this autumn, which fixes the audio at the screens location as you move your head. There are lots of small interesting integrations like this that when summed up make them very compelling. They switch automatically across iPhone to iPad, to Mac. I think you can share music to another person with AirPods, so you can listen to the same thing.

I am not sure what the latency is, I haven't noticed it. I wouldn't be surprised if they automatically synced the audio with the video.
I've had a pair of AirPods Pro for 2 years and use them every day, still going strong.

Last edited:
AirPod Pro native latency is just under 150ms which is pretty good for BT earphones. The Sennheiser's are a little more bass heavy than the AirPod Pros. Frequency response is similar to the Sennheisers.

I'm personally much happier with an Ikko Zerda DAC and a pair of wired 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition over ear headphones. Whilst undoubtedly more clumsy, price is comparable but the sound quality is in a different league.

Thank you kindly Adrian, appreciate your reply and it's very useful & helpful.

"I already have extremely good over ear headphones which the in ear ones can't match for sound quality, also the BT Sennheiser's can't match the wired version of the same in ear units that I already have, it's just there is so much cable noise from them when moved fit makes them very difficult to listen with while on the move . But I specifically need some good low latency in ear BT units for various reasons. Price is not a problem as long as I get what I'm after"

If you have Apple kit the AirPods will work very well with it. They are introducing 'spacial audio' this autumn, which fixes the audio at the screens location as you move your head. There are lots of small interesting integrations like this that when summed up make them very compelling. They switch automatically across iPhone to iPad, to Mac. I think you can share music to another person with AirPods, so you can listen to the same thing.

I am not sure what the latency is, I haven't noticed it. I wouldn't be surprised if they automatically synced the audio with the video.
I've had a pair of AirPods Pro for 2 years and use them every day, still going strong.

Thank you kindly, appreciate your reply and it's very useful & helpful.

"I didn't know that they switched automatically from one Apple device to another, and as I use an iPhone, iPad Pro, and a Macbook Pro that is a very encouraging feature"

I use my AirPods Pro daily (across multiple Apple devices) and they've been solid - no issues with lip syncing that I've noticed (Netflix, YouTube and Disney).

The switching across Apple devices is really good too!

I use my AirPods Pro daily (across multiple Apple devices) and they've been solid - no issues with lip syncing that I've noticed (Netflix, YouTube and Disney).

Thank you kindly, appreciate your reply it's very useful & helpful.

Same here.

Enjoy! I did have a pair for a while it just didn’t get on with the “in ear” experience with my ears. I’ve gone back to just standard AirPods and Bose 700 for the rare occasion I need to be totally immersed!

Received my new "Air Pod Pros" and couldn’t believe how easy it was to set them up with my iPhone etc. They've ironed out the problem I had with latency while watching a video etc and the sound from them is excellent. They are also a lot more comfortable that my Sennheisers.

One thing I'm not sure though of is just when the case etc is fully charged, ie when I plugged it in to my charger and an orange light came on for a few seconds and then went off which I've found out via YouTube that this means they are accepting a charge. But I cannot find out what happens to let me know when everything is fully charged. ;)

I've got a battery widget on my iPhone to check the charge for my headphones and watch as well as the iPhone itself. I don't have iPods to check, but the widget might be able to tell you if they have charged. You don't even have to look at the case to check if that works :D

I've got a battery widget on my iPhone to check the charge for my headphones and watch as well as the iPhone itself. I don't have iPods to check, but the widget might be able to tell you if they have charged. You don't even have to look at the case to check if that works :D

Thank you kindly Ben, appreciate your reply.

"I have now found out how to check the charge etc via my iPad or iPhone, and also on the Air Pods case by opening the lid and if the little light shows green instead of orange then apparently everything is fully charged"

Well I've had my new "Air Pod Pros" for a couple of days now and to be perfectly honest I'm absolutely bowled over with them. I couldn't believe how easy & instant they set up and paired with my iPhone, iPad Pro, & MacBook Pro.

All the other bits & bobs they do with ease such as switching between any of the devices and using them for calls as well as speech to text etc is excellent. And to cap it all I'm well pleased that there is no latency when watching vid's etc with the sound reproduction exactly what I like.

One Happy Bunny :) :)

Well I've had my new "Air Pod Pros" for a couple of days now and to be perfectly honest I'm absolutely bowled over with them. I couldn't believe how easy & instant they set up and paired with my iPhone, iPad Pro, & MacBook Pro.

All the other bits & bobs they do with ease such as switching between any of the devices and using them for calls as well as speech to text etc is excellent. And to cap it all I'm well pleased that there is no latency when watching vid's etc with the sound reproduction exactly what I like.

One Happy Bunny :) :)

Do you use Apple Music? I’ve just been listening to some songs mixed in the Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio format. Very impressive!

Do you use Apple Music? I’ve just been listening to some songs mixed in the Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio format. Very impressive!

Not at the moment as I still only have an "iPhone 7 plus" & "iPad Pro 2017" model and I believe that effect is not available on those units. When I eventually upgrade I'll certainly take a serious look at that.

you could try using something like VLC player for videos as that has the ability to adjust latency

you could try using something like VLC player for videos as that has the ability to adjust latency

Thanks Paul, but latency is no longer a problem now that I've changed to the "Apple Air Pod Pros".

good stuff now post me the sennheissers :)

Willingly, sooner or later they'll probably find their way into the classifieds.

Back