Apple GateKeeper - is that them admitting there is a malware problem?

Dale_d3100 said:
The new gatekeeper in Mountain Lion...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/security.html

Is that them admitting that they are having issues with malware?

It seems it is heading down the UAC route ;)

Uac'ish ha always been there ;) gatekeeper is all about running authorised code only and then when it runs it is within its own sandbox. A very very different concept. Especially considering that it is not dependent on Uac :)

Admitting there is malware??? That is one way of looking at it, not the first thought I would have in mind though. Further quality control and taking a share of app store only apps driving more developers to move to that distribution technique is what pops in my min first. Combine that together with the integrated version control, apps that work across various (Apple) platforms and you can see that jargon word of an ecosystem tightening.

Btw by default it is switched off in the current developer preview 1.

Admitting there is malware??? That is one way of looking at it, not the first thought I would have in mind though

Despite the fact there is Mac Malware out in the wild? The webpage for Gatekeeper even has a section defining malware.

someguy201 said:
Despite the fact there is Mac Malware out in the wild? The webpage for Gatekeeper even has a section defining malware.

Oh I am not denying it, just saying it wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.

It is interesting to see how apple is potentially bringing liability to itself by this concept. Then again it has worked well for ios. That is why I think the general public is more open to it now.

There has always been this argument that OSX was less of a target for malware because of its small market share. Thus assuming the more popular the OS the more malware there is for it.

But this hasn't applied to iOS....yet. There are millions of iOS devices in use, but pretty much no existing malware for it, mainly due to the whole sand boxing / approved app store thing.

If they are going to go that route with OSX, I'm all for it.

Market share isn't the only thing that determins whether malware is developed for an OS.

mainly due to the whole sand boxing / approved app store thing.

....because no one jailbreaks their iPhone. Mobile phones are much less targeted for malware in general, most people don't use online banking on their mobile, and if you suddenly get pop-ups on your phone saying you're infected, pay £30 to fix it, you're far more likely just to reset the phone.

Back