Apple iMac Restore DVD's Anyone??

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
For the life of me I cannot find the restore DVD's for my 24" iMac so I called Apple today and they told me the good news....£140 for new ones!!

So are there any nice chaps out there who has a 24" iMac (its the 3.06 GHz Intel Model) who would kindly let me borrow their discs or copy them and send the copies to me pretty please? Will provide blank DVD's myself ;)

I have the Apple Care extended warranty too but this doesnt cover me for lost discs unfortunately and I want to do a clean install on my system.

Any help greatly appreciated (y)

It's just an OS disc isn't it, or are they specific to the actual model? I have some discs for my Macbook and Macbook Pro if they're of any use?

No mate the restore DVDs are model specific. Only thing that isn't specific is a retail Leopard disc which I have but mine is 10.5.1 and it needs to be 10.5.5 or above to be used on my iMac. If I don't get any then I can just wait for Snow Leopard in September and use that.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

Cheers

There are 2 double layer DVD's that are specific to your iMac early 2009 model, an install DVD P/N 2Z691-6436, and an application DVD P/N 2Z661-6376. Each DVD will display the above P/N's in small text. The install DVD should be marked 10.5.6, possibly 10.5.5, Apples part list doesn't specify. This iMac will only start and install using these DVD's or a retail 10.5.6. I'll investigate further tomorrow.

I thought the newer imacs didn't come with 'Restore' dvds like *** the old ones did. I'm sure mine didn't. You only need the OS-X install dvd.

The current Apple models still come with 2 DVD's, an install DVD and an Applications DVD. The changes have been earlier installers would install the first DVD, then request the second. The current DVD's install the OS from DVD 1, then you key in your registration details or name, then you run the application installer on the second DVD. It's now quicker if you ever have to do an archive and install. When you buy the Mac the software is all preinstalled, with the 2 grey DVD's supplied in clear sleeves.

Thanks for the offers so far guys but it looks like it is either the matching install DVD's or a retail version of 10.5.6, so if anyone has a copy of 10.5.6 they wouldnt mind me borrowing? (y)

Rather than pay the £140 for the DVD's from Apple I will just wait until Snow comes out and buy that which I think will be sub the £100 mark anyway.

I have had my install discs replaced before for nothing, I said that the ones that I had would not load. They were not sure if it was my DVD drive for the discs that were faulty and so sent out a copy of the discs for me.

Might be worth trying again and using a different story with support.

You could try giving the geniuses at your nearest Apple Store a ring. They may me able to help out.

They will just tell you to buy new discs from Apple which I dont really want to do right now

I am trying to work through the rationale here. We are told that we do not own the software, that we are licensed to use it instead. As all Apple computers come with the software then implicitly, if you can prove that you have an Apple computer with a serial number, surely all they could reasonably charge is for replacement media. I cannot see how they could justify £140 for two DVDs on this basis - £20-£30 would more than cover their costs.

Chris

They will just tell you to buy new discs from Apple which I dont really want to do right now

I would have though the same. I even bought the Apple Care whilst on the phone to them thinking that this may get him to sort me out but it never worked.

I will give it a couple of days and call back, hopefully speak to someone else who will be a little more understanding.

Back