Apple killing Iphones with latest software update - if you've had it repaired somewhere else

I think there's an element of context here. If a repair which potentially interferes with inbuilt security is detected then I tend to support Apple. If it's something which is simply cosmetic, like a new screen, I don't.

This totally sums it up!

I was apple now I'm not, nothing against them I just got bored, I may go back at some point but it does need to be clear to people exactly what is being said regarding repairs.

I think there's an element of context here. If a repair which potentially interferes with inbuilt security is detected then I tend to support Apple. If it's something which is simply cosmetic, like a new screen, I don't.
Which is the point made very early on in this thread and several times thereafter. (y)

Which is the point made very early on in this thread and several times thereafter. (y)
I must have missed that in the noise :)

It is certainly the most evil thing they've done so far and I believe it should be declared illegal once challenged in court.

They are clamping down everywhere by making their macs virtually unrepearable and now this. I own a lot of their products except the iphone :) and I get the feeling we will have to move to open and liberal platforms such as the GNU/Linux and Android (the open source version from the likes of CyanogenMOD)

Why? I've owned an iPhone for the last 5 years, my wife has had one for 4 and my son has iPod touch. I also have a MacBook Pro as my main machine and haven't felt oppressed or had my movements limited in any way in that time..

As a consumer of a system I fail to understand the doom and gloom attitude.

Last edited:
Why? I've owned an iPhone for the last 5 years, my wife has had one for 4 and my son has iPod touch. I also have a MacBook Pro as my main machine and haven't felt oppressed or had my movements limited in any way in that time..

As a consumer of a system I fail to understand the doom and gloom attitude.

This is one of those areas where perception is reality to a significant degree, and unlike some companies, Apple have worked hard to successfully manage perception in a majority of their customers. If I can borrow an extreme example, it's a bit like Muslim women wearing a niqab, where a majority of them are proud to do so and would not consider temselves oppressed in any way. For some, that management has made things worse, rather than better, and with the example given of deliberately bricking phones 'for your own security and good' some are pleased and some are not.

I still own a Macbook, and at one time considered buying an iPhone because android doesn't work especially well with OSX. I can only say that it felt claustrophobic to use - irrational, since it's just a phone with a screen and icons - and I really did not want to use, let alone own one. Then there's iTunes, which is pretty darn oppressive to use instead of being able to add/remove data directly. There's much more to interface design than one might think.

It's good that we have choice as different things are important to us. I've been and seen them all and swapped around. From Nokia to Windows Mobile to Nokia to Motorola to Nokia to first iPhone to Palm/HP WebOS to iPhone to Samsung Galaxy to iPhone to HTC Desire to iPhone to iPhone to Blackberry 10 to iPhone to Windows Phone to Nexus to iPhone to iPhone.

I want to try something else but then are so disappointed by the simple things they don't get right like proper battery life, build quality and just working. So I keep coming back.

Ps. All of those phones and associated operating systems worked perfectly fine with OS X and also with iTunes and photos etc.

This is one of those areas where perception is reality to a significant degree, and unlike some companies, Apple have worked hard to successfully manage perception in a majority of their customers. If I can borrow an extreme example, it's a bit like Muslim women wearing a niqab, where a majority of them are proud to do so and would not consider temselves oppressed in any way. For some, that management has made things worse, rather than better, and with the example given of deliberately bricking phones 'for your own security and good' some are pleased and some are not.

I still own a Macbook, and at one time considered buying an iPhone because android doesn't work especially well with OSX. I can only say that it felt claustrophobic to use - irrational, since it's just a phone with a screen and icons - and I really did not want to use, let alone own one. Then there's iTunes, which is pretty darn oppressive to use instead of being able to add/remove data directly. There's much more to interface design than one might think.

I appreciate your pretty extreme comparison but should explain that I fully understand the technology and marketing behind Apple's ethos. I've also used all flavours of mobile devices and spend my day job supporting an 8500 server estate for a Global Organisation so I'm not naive to the methods.

However, I personally find that the positives of a comparatively closed OS on my mobile phone far outweigh any negatives. I used to have the same attitude towards Apple when I was using Android devices 5 years ago until I actually started to use an iPhone myself and started to enjoy the consistent performance and stability of apps. Since then I've considered a few times to go back to Android because I became a bit bored with my IPhone but have always stuck with IOS because it just works. I can live without setting my own themes and widgets and accept that I am adding to the massive bank balance held by Apple but it's not as if Google are some tiny open source manufacturer trying to 'stick it to the big company'. If anything, Googles' marketing of Android as being the 'open' choice is even more telling than Apple's considering how much personal data is tracked through Google Play store apps.

At the end of the day, it's good that we as consumers have choice. I might personally go back to an Android device in the future if it offers me something different that I actually want/need. At the moment my Apple devices fit my requirements and I accept that Apple aren't perfect. As for iTunes, I just use it to stream my music using Apple Music because I've never manually transferred music to any of my phones. As a result, it does what I need it to do.

This is one of those areas where perception is reality to a significant degree, and unlike some companies, Apple have worked hard to successfully manage perception in a majority of their customers.

Then there's iTunes, which is pretty darn oppressive to use instead of being able to add/remove data directly. There's much more to interface design than one might think.

2 things. Are you seriously suggesting that I like my iPhone because I have had my views directly managed by Apple? That is incredible.

I hardly ever use iTunes to add anything to my mobile. In fact I added an album by Caro Emerald last night. Didn't go near iTunes, and it has synced to my iPad Mini without me having to do anything.

They admitted it was a mistake and has backed down now.
"Apple apologises for iPhone 'error 53' and issues fix" http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35611756
The company added: "We apologise for any inconvenience, this was designed to be a factory test and was not intended to affect customers."

Bit of a back handed apology, but at least it can be sorted.

The fanboys lapped it all up and never had a problem in the first place. Damned scum bags going to non authorised repair centres.

Last edited:
It's good that the phones that were bricked could be recovered - and nice to see that if you'd gone out and bought a new phone - they'll talk to you about compensation....

I have had suspicions about Apple and the Iphone and Ipods for a period now! How easy would it be, during a software upgrade to make hard drives skip tracks in music etc? And how would your average Mr (or Mrs) Joe Public know? Especially if the item in question was say an older version with nothing wrong with it at all but Apple think it's too old nd should be upgraded?

Last edited:
Especially if the item in question was say an older version with nothing wrong with it at all but Apple think it's too old nd should be upgraded?

that happens to more or less every device as it gets old
take android phones/tablets for example, more or less all android devices running android 4.0 or less will not officially update to the latest firmware or the previous firmware ( kitkat ) it's the same with older windows phones running CE but that's progress for you

Back