Apple Mac versus PC - Grappling the Nettle

The Avant is still a PC, but with an overclocked, water cooled i7 & 32GB DDR4 RAM instead of an astra with a celeron and 2GB. The point is that Apple don't do a big, functional estate. :bat:

That is their downfall IMO.

All-in-ones like the iMac are rubbish really, all the disadvantages of a laptop combined with all of the disadvantages of a desktop. Glossy screens, great for consuming media, not ideal for producing it.

But apple don't really do a workhorse-desktop, the only true desktop they do, The Mac Pro, isn't overpriced compared to the equivalent spec PC, however, it's overkill for most users.

The Avant is still a PC, but with an overclocked, water cooled i7 & 32GB DDR4 RAM instead of an astra with a celeron and 2GB. The point is that Apple don't do a big, functional estate. :bat:
Naaaahh ... the Avant is a Mac ... designed from the start to be a bit of a speed machine. The PC is more an Astra Turbo. :)

But Apple don't really do a workhorse-desktop, the only true desktop they do, The Mac Pro, isn't overpriced compared to the equivalent spec PC, however, it's overkill for most users.
I agree ... Even though I favour Apple hardware and MacOS over Windows: I would prefer no built in monitor; but want something in power between a MacMini and a MacPro.

I agree ... Even though I favour Apple hardware and MacOS over Windows: I would prefer no built in monitor; but want something in power between a MacMini and a MacPro.
Can't think of anything that underpowered tbh ;)

Yeah, all-in-ones look good on paper, until something goes wrong, or you take into account that the CPU is throttled to account for heat build up. Even in a Core i5 a decent cooler is far too big to fit in the case of an all-in-one.

But then, Apple aren't targetting people who want a workhorse PC and don't care what it looks like. The iMacs do look very nice.

Yeah, all-in-ones look good on paper, until something goes wrong, or you take into account that the CPU is throttled to account for heat build up. Even in a Core i5 a decent cooler is far too big to fit in the case of an all-in-one.

But then, Apple aren't targetting people who want a workhorse PC and don't care what it looks like. The iMacs do look very nice.
Am I right in thinking that iMacs and Mac Minis all use the smaller laptop Intel CPUs, so that they work in the smaller case and don't require so much power or cooling?
But mobile/laptop CPUs do have that throttling issue, they run at slower speeds much of the time in order to stop the computer getting too hot or using up too much battery power.

Am I right in thinking that iMacs and Mac Minis all use the smaller laptop Intel CPUs, so that they work in the smaller case and don't require so much power or cooling?
But mobile/laptop CPUs do have that throttling issue, they run at slower speeds much of the time in order to stop the computer getting too hot or using up too much battery power.

I believe so, but it's more just down to throttling due to temperature, when the CPU reaches a given (safe) temp, the system will throttle it to ensure it doesn't overheat, so real-world performance is lower than if you stick the same CPU in a bigger case and strap a tower cooler, or water cooled unit on it. iMac CPUs will be tuned more for performance compared to Macbook CPUs though, as they Macbook one will also be trying to save battery power.

Windows laptops / all-in-ones obviously have to make the same compromises vs their bigger brothers.

Back