Apple time capsule?

Edit My Images
Yes
Are these things worth having or am I just better using a USB Hard drive for back up and storage.

Thanks.

Probably just get a USB HD and either plug it into your computer or router, it works the same.

Only caveat being that if your router is old you might want a new one as wifi has got much faster.

The Apple Time Capsule" is designed for wireless backups. Plus it has the ability to connect to another component, such as a printer so you can print wireless. All for £299 or £399. It uses the latest 802.11ac network which can give amazing transfer speeds, provided everything else in the system can handle 11ac protocols.

Personally, for backup I use a conventional USB 3Tb drive. As fast,(if not faster (USB3) and a lot cheaper.

... which presumably means an end to firmware updates etc.

Apple are still issuing the occasional update for the previous generation Airports.

It's just a WiFi connection but the disk is formatted to Apples HFS+

Disk format doesn't matter when you are accessing over a network :)

The biggest advantage of a Time Capsule over a USB drive is that you don't have to remember to plug it in. If you are lazy about backups, it's an ideal solution.
Another advantage is that you can keep the Time Capsule away from your computers, so in the event of a break-in, your machines might get stolen, but the Time Capsule might not.
Of course, cloud backups are probably more secure and you can get 4 or 5 years cloud backup for the same price as a Time Capsule.

I had a MkI Time Capsule. Eventually it broke (they had a heating fault). After asking around and weighing up options I bought a newer 3TB TC. It sits there and works. It costs a lot when you buy it (though mine was a 2nd hand refurb so it wasn't too bad) but it just, you know, works. Unlike my Qnap music server which occasionally falls off the network for no real reason or big fancy RAID box which needs rebooting every time there's a power cut (no matter how often I tell it to restart on power failure).

I guess it would look pretty too if I hadn't put it in a cupboard.

On a side note these units are a pain in the arse with sky Q systems ,there are better and cheaper ways to do the same.

Back