Apple - Very Poor Customer Service

• Thread starter Deleted member 95743
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 95743

I don’t normally post rants such as this as I much prefer to reach an amicable solution with the retailer, however I am not feeling very amicable at the moment.

To cut a long story short, I have a 13” MacBook Pro that is 5 years old (bought October 2017) and has now developed a number of issues mainly with the screen. I took it into an Apple store and was told that it would cost £580 to replace the screen. I said I’d think about it. When I got home I went onto the Apple UK website and on their warranty page it clearly states that products less than 6 years old are entitled to a free of charge repair. So that begs the question why am I being asked to pay £580.

No one at Apple UK is willing to answer that question.

This afternoon I went into a different Apple store and asked a member of staff if my MacBook Pro qualified for a free repair and the response was, “I’m not a genius, I can’t answer that.” So the shop assistants that work for Apple don’t seem to know whether Apple products are covered by Apple’s warranty.

I have just sent a very wordy e-mail to Tim Cook.

I'm surprised at your experience. I guess you will either get no response, a polite acknowledgement and nothing else, or maybe a new macbook!

The 6 year rule is part of the U.K. consumer regulations but does not automatically entitle you to a free repair. It is not a six year guarantee. It just means that your consumer rights expire after six years. For faults after six months you need to prove that the goods were inherently faulty which I suspect they weren’t.

From Apple website

A claim under UK consumer law may be made subject to the defect being present at the time of purchase.

Any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6-month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer.

Last edited:
I don’t normally post rants such as this as I much prefer to reach an amicable solution with the retailer, however I am not feeling very amicable at the moment.

To cut a long story short, I have a 13” MacBook Pro that is 5 years old (bought October 2017) and has now developed a number of issues mainly with the screen. I took it into an Apple store and was told that it would cost £580 to replace the screen. I said I’d think about it. When I got home I went onto the Apple UK website and on their warranty page it clearly states that products less than 6 years old are entitled to a free of charge repair. So that begs the question why am I being asked to pay £580.

No one at Apple UK is willing to answer that question.

This afternoon I went into a different Apple store and asked a member of staff if my MacBook Pro qualified for a free repair and the response was, “I’m not a genius, I can’t answer that.” So the shop assistants that work for Apple don’t seem to know whether Apple products are covered by Apple’s warranty.

I have just sent a very wordy e-mail to Tim Cook.

You really have misunderstood the situation. Hopefully Mr Cook will help clarify the matter.

While I don't like Apple's attitude to repairing faulty products based on my past experience (deny there's a problem, try to scare the customer off by telling them if a fault can't be found they will be charged for checking the kit) in this case I think the machine is out of warranty and that's it. The only exception is if this is a common design fault - like the failing graphics chips, delaminating screens, butterfly keyboard etc - where they should fix it because it left the factory with failure built-in.

Aw, come on!

Many laptops from alternative makers will have developed faults in 5 years and given their poor resale value relative to Apple products would be binned for much more minor issues. Next time, buy a Dell, wait 5 years then go to their shop about any issues you have. Oh wait, you can't. Well, call their customer support line and ask them. In fact, try that after 2 years and see what they say. Also, no sales assistant is going to diagnose a computer fault and comment on it.

Yeah, I know, I know. I like Apple. I like Apple very much, though for good reason. They have, consistently, given me the very best customer service of any company I've dealt with during the last 18 years or so.

Last edited:
The screen is 5 years old !!!

FWIW and this is a few years back, I had an issue with an iphone, some photos had pink banding on. Took it into a store and walked out with a replacement 15 mins later at no cost (was less than a year old)

it looks like your product is fair and square out of apple warranty
if you had those apple care packs which to be fair it seems everyone
buys as there stuff is so expensive then they seem to bend over backwards for you
the whole consumer thing is correct but you might need to mount a case saying its not fit for purpose or should
reasonably last that long without fault blah blah... as others have said 5 years on a laptop is probably about average
i suspect i replace mine about that but then again main are bland HP ones at maybe £500 each.

There is a reason apple have the most money in the world.

Last edited:
Had the exact same issue with my late 2016 mbp

Carried it down stairs and the screen was dead on opening. Took it to apple and the screen ribbon was damaged for opening and closing the lid but due to the design which they later changed in 2017 mbp they are attached to the screen so the whole thing needs replaced at £600 roughly.

Looking online this did seem to abe a fairly common issue with the 15/16 models even though after never acknowledged it.

While it would have been 5 years old I had hoped for more from a £2200 laptop. Funnily enough this was a replacement for my 2011 mbp which also died at around exactly 5 months old.

Had the exact same issue with my late 2016 mbp

Carried it down stairs and the screen was dead on opening. Took it to apple and the screen ribbon was damaged for opening and closing the lid but due to the design which they later changed in 2017 mbp they are attached to the screen so the whole thing needs replaced at £600 roughly.

Looking online this did seem to abe a fairly common issue with the 15/16 models even though after never acknowledged it.

While it would have been 5 years old I had hoped for more from a £2200 laptop. Funnily enough this was a replacement for my 2011 mbp which also died at around exactly 5 months old.

5 months?!!! Holy crap, no wonder Apple are loaded... :D

The issue with what’s in column 1 is that the onus is on the buyer to prove the goods were faulty when purchased.

Aye, a very difficult task I would imagine and possibly expensive. It was the middle column that I thought was important for the OP to though.

The issue with what’s in column 1 is that the onus is on the buyer to prove the goods were faulty when purchased.
If it is a design fault, that would be easier to prove.

If it is a design fault, that would be easier to prove.
Few years ago we had a plasma TV which developed a fault when about 3 years old, tried claiming with the consumer regs but currys wanted a report from a suitably qualified independent engr - I didn’t bother as probable cost of report with no gtee of repair/ replacement.
Apple had some batteries which were not holding charge on iPhone (6 iirc) I bought iphone on ebay and apple replaced the battery FOC.

The 2011 mbp I had before the one with the dead screen, had the logic board issue and actually died 2ish years after buying it and apple replaced it (logic board not mbp)free of charge but by the time it died again, with it being the logic board again. But it being after another 2ish years they no longer replaced it FOC

The 2011 mbp I had before the one with the dead screen, had the logic board issue and actually died 2ish years after buying it and apple replaced it (logic board not mbp)free of charge but by the time it died again, with it being the logic board again. But it being after another 2ish years they no longer replaced it FOC

I would say that in a case like this you would have a claim. I would certainly expect a MPB to last more than two years for the price and as the laptop died twice with the same fault I think it would be fair to expect an inherent fault with the logic board.

I would say that in a case like this you would have a claim. I would certainly expect a MPB to last more than two years for the price and as the laptop died twice with the same fault I think it would be fair to expect an inherent fault with the logic board.
It’s a known fault they had a service scheme for but only lasted 5 years of you didn’t have it down before then tough luck

Back