Apps not appearing in iTunes?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Has something changed? I used to one iTunes on Macbook and could buy apps as well as delete from phone etc... but now all I have is music, tv, films etc... All ok on my phone and no app store coming up either (the only app store is for mac apps)?

Has something changed? I used to one iTunes on Macbook and could buy apps as well as delete from phone etc... but now all I have is music, tv, films etc... All ok on my phone and no app store coming up either (the only app store is for mac apps)?
Yes the apps went in the update offered this week -- maybe you have auto update set. You can now only get them from App Store. Maybe disaster if you want older versions for some reason.

I've noticed the same, If you read the release notes it states the intergration between iTunes and applications has ceased and everything app wise is done between the App Store and iPhone/iPad.

Just found this out after updating iTunes, not a happy bunny.

Just got a brand new iPhone 6 32GB as well as an inducement to sign up to a new contract, think I may just sell it now and put the money toward a new S7/8

Just found this out after updating iTunes, not a happy bunny.

Just got a brand new iPhone 6 32GB as well as an inducement to sign up to a new contract, think I may just sell it now and put the money toward a new S7/8

Wait, you mean you prefer iTunes to something else?

I found it convenient and easier to use iTunes to sort my apps out on my iPad & iPhone - That is no longer an option now
That and a couple ringtones (also banned) are all I use iTunes for really. For me it would have been better if they had dumped the music,videos, podcasts etc, kept the apps and backup/recovery and renamed it something else without tunes in the name. I wonder if I am in a minority haha!

To be honest I’d forgotten iTunes could still manage your Apps... it’s all on the new App Store on the phone now. For people with SSD laptops be good to get rid of all the ipa files.

You can still do ring tones, I did a couple this morning
Are you sure, it was one of the things Apple specifically mentioned as being removed and certainly mine were (but I had exported them). Perhaps you mean create them in which case I could not comment;-)

I don't mind iTunes, what else would you recommend and why?

I guess it's probably fine for apps and so forth.

But as a music player it's awful. It's like version 357 and it still doesn't understand that I want my catalogue locally and my music on a NAS.

And as for using a music player to put pictures on an iPad................................................. (They may have stopped that - I haven't used an iPad in years because Android)

I didn't know anything about this as my PC failed and I haven't downloaded iTunes onto new one yet BUT does this mean I can no longer have any backup of my wife's ipad. I understood that the only way you could backup ipad was onto iTunes.

So does this mean I can go into my macbook and delete the apps files to free up space? If so, whereabouts and how, and what do i delete?

So does this mean I can go into my macbook and delete the apps files to free up space? If so, whereabouts and how, and what do i delete?
Find the iTunes folder (within Music if you've not moved it); within there is a folder "iTunes Media" and then from there delete the "Mobile applications" folder.
But as a music player it's awful. It's like version 357 and it still doesn't understand that I want my catalogue locally and my music on a NAS.
I've been doing that since about 2010 with iTunes...
And as for using a music player to put pictures on an iPad................................................. (They may have stopped that - I haven't used an iPad in years because Android)
You use "Photos".

I didn't know anything about this as my PC failed and I haven't downloaded iTunes onto new one yet BUT does this mean I can no longer have any backup of my wife's ipad. I understood that the only way you could backup ipad was onto iTunes.
You can still back up iPads / iPhones with iTunes. You just can't use iTunes on your PC to buy and download apps for your iPad / iPhone.

Though the backup never actually backed up the Apps anyway (though yes you could "Download Purchases" from the iPhone/iPad to iTunes).

When you update iTunes it just deletes all the apps. Haven’t checked if they have been deleted from the file system but expect they are.

12.6.2 is the last version of iTunes to still work the 'old way', though I don't know whether it's possible after yesterday to still buy apps in iTunes.

I stopped being an early adopter after OS X 10.4 came out and turned off auto updates around the same time. Now I install updates manually - very old school I know but means fewer surprises.

When you update iTunes it just deletes all the apps. Haven’t checked if they have been deleted from the file system but expect they are.
They aren't... you have to delete them manually.

They aren't... you have to delete them manually.
Thanks, I’ll double check, I couldn’t see them when I updated but I don’t use iTunes much.

I've been doing that since about 2010 with iTunes...

Me too, but it's never been a pleasant or reliable experience.

The main issue is if your NAS is unavailable when iTunes starts (e.g. it is sleeping because it's a dedicated music NAS and takes a moment or two to spin up). iTunes just goes "ah no worries, I bet he wants to create a whole new location for music" and dumps the CD you are ripping "somewhere else". Usually on your smallest drive. Then it uses that location in future.

And don't get me started on how long a "consolidate files" can take.....

So does anybody know if there's a way of managing the apps without doing it on the iPad/iPhone like it used to be possible when it was within iTunes?

Back