Apps, websites etc

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

What apps, websites do you use to assist your photography? I hear google maps is good...what about knowing the exact time of sunsets/sunrise for instance.
Also, finding out good places to shoot?

Thanks.

Plenty of websites will give you sun times. I have timeanddate.com saved on my phone, gives you times and a proper direction in degrees - so that and a compass (compass app on the phone will get you close enough) and you're set.

The photographers' Ephemeris is often touted as the go to app for landscape and architectural photographers. Tells you all-sorts of info about sunrise and sunset for any location, taking into account the topography of the local area - eg sunrise may be at 7.30am, but it won't peak above that hill until 7.37am. Not used it myself though as I'm too tight to pay for it. ;)

There's a free version of TPE that you can run on your computer rather than your phone.

I have an app (for iphone) called "set my camera". I have found it really useful for calculating what depth of field I will get for a particular focal length, f/stop etc. There are many similar apps too.
If I remember correctly it's free for the depth of field part and you can upgrade to add other features.

I have an iPhone app called Golden Hour which is easy to use ... And a good DoF calculator which is also useful. There are quite a few good ones on App Store.

After a lot of looking on the Google Play Store I found;

'My Photo Tools', which has useful things like Hyperfocal Distance Calculator, Depth of Field Calculator amongst other things.

'DSLR Dashboard', which lets you control the camera tethered, with a Live image.

'Exposure Calculator', exactly what it sounds like. I got it to work out exposure times with a 10 Stop ND Filter.

'Exsate Golden Hour', which tells you a lot of information about sunrises and sunsets.

'Time Lapse Buddy', helps with Time lapses unsurprisingly. ;) :LOL:

I use the official Met Office weather app for sunrise/set /general weather info.

Also 'dslr remote' that utilises the built in IR blaster on my phone to wirelessly release shutter with timelapse capabilities etc.

I also use Adobe PS Touch for all my JPEG editing, as I'm limited to using my phone/tablet for editing.

I'm considering 'Photo Mate R2' for RAW file handling, but I've not made the jump from JPEG to RAW yet, purely due to my lack of processing capability.

Would appreciate any comments on 'Photo Mate R2' if anybody has used it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate2

Last edited:
Suncalc.net is another convenient option for for sunset/rise times and directions.

Last edited:
Back