Apps you can't live without

Name
Annet
Edit My Images
No
Had to spend several days without my phone and laptop and while I thought it would be a hard time to go through it turned out the only thing I really missed was music and my Spotify subscription. I believed I would struggle without Whats App the most but I was fine having no messengers around. In fact I even liked it and plan to repeat this experience next weekend :D What are your most favorite apps or programs you can't imagine yourself without?

TBH, I could live quite happily with no computer/smartphone/tablet at all. Sure, the computer makes life a bit easier in some ways but complicates things too!

On my iPhone, Calendar, but although I'd love to do without computers for once in my life, after 45 years of owning personal computers of some sort I do doubt I could live without them, or at least, it would be a significant life-changing thing. I guess that's why I like a mix of digital and film photography, I can get a fix of each very easily.

None at all, managed for a good many years without them.
We didn't even have a phone when I was a youngster, only one person did in our block of eight flats.
Lots of places like that, had to knock and ask to use it in very urgent circumstances.
People with a phone often had a little money box for others to drop a couple of bob in for using it.

Last edited:
None at all, managed for a good many years without them.
We didn't even have a phone when I was a youngster, only one person did in our block of eight flats.
Lots of places like that, had to knock and ask to use it in very urgent circumstances.
People with a phone often had a little money box for others to drop a couple of bob in for using it.

Back in the 70s we had a party line, something that would sound insane today.

Back in the 70s we had a party line, something that would sound insane today.

Good old shared service, X and Y subscribers, press the button to get dial tone.
Been a few more modern variations on that theme when line plant was in short supply.
In the newer cases the customers didn't even know and couldn't overhear their shared party.

Any better alternative?
Personally I use Onecalender, and I also don't use google search, better alternatives such as DuckDuckGo, if fact a detest when anyone especially in the media says "google it" , no say search for it. Just think what would happen if every time food and drink was mention on the news they said go and Tesco it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only my memory substiute; the calendar (most definitely NOT the Google one) as my inbuilt organic one fails miserably on all fronts.

Personally I use Onecalender, and I also don't use google search, better alternatives such as DuckDuckGo, if fact a detest when anyone especially in the media says "google it" , no say search for it. Just think what would happen if every time food and drink was mention on the news they said go and Tesco it.

Not the first brandname to mean an action... when you say you plan to hoover this afternoon, chances are its anything but a Hoover, Transit is often used as a small van (or Transit type van)

Banking apps - save me so much time and help manage money better.
Candy crush while sat on throne
Weather app - more localised than the TV reports
Komoot/Wahoo to plan bike trips
Lightmeter when shooting with manual film cameras
Hive - manage the heating

Not the first brandname to mean an action... when you say you plan to hoover this afternoon, chances are its anything but a Hoover, Transit is often used as a small van (or Transit type van)
What do you mean when I plan to hoover :LOL:

PicsArt, I love their glitch effects and I bought a premium version so I don't want these money go to waste :LOL:
Photodiva for my laptop, I use it for quick edits while not at home.
StayFocusd which is an extention but it helps me to save time greatly even though blocking some websites was a hard thing to do at first :ROFLMAO:

Instagram for me, because it's the platform I chose to post my photography on. I use Reddit a lot too but to be honest I probably need to knock that one on the head as it's a bit of a black hole for time.

I don't use a calendar app. I use a bullet journal so I use that as a calendar and also to record my to-do list, notes and musings etc.

None really, I think I'd get over not having them after a couple days. Initially I might miss Youtube maybe when I'm traveling [or on the loo!] - I use Flickr for photos and only the web version, never the app so I can keep that then? I have IG but think it's pants, still. Recently started using a steps app just for work really, wouldn't miss that as it just reminds me how unfit I am and I use a weather app to see how the day might go [as we do a lot of out-door work/walks] I use Netflix and Prime on the PC too, rarely use the app

the banking app and google so I can get TP while out ( shameless plug)

I have only a few apps, and I don't carry my phone around with me. It just replaced our land line.

Is that the same onecalendar where the privacy policy says
;)

Back