Review Arctic Butterfly 724

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been aware for some time that the sensor on my 20D was full of crud. Not just slightly, I could see some of the fibres/hairs lying there on the sensor grinning at me. No end of blowing would shift them for long. I've had it for a year and used it everywhere (bar the bathtub). I tried to be careful, but I suppose that I'm as error prone as the next "perfect" being to the encroachment of sensor c**p.

So what to do...?
The options seemed to be:
A) Ignore it. urrmm NO. Like I'm getting very bored of cloning spots out.
B) Send it to canon. As if I was going to do that every 6mths to a year. NOT!
C) Buy some "non-smear" solvents, swabs and wot not. Anyone who knows me is aware that I use a spade like a shovel. So count that out.

Then I read about the Arctic Butterfly from visibledust. After reading the literature, watching the streamed vids and then uhhming/ahhing for an age I decide to take the plunge.

£60 the lighter of pocket what do I get.
First impressions are...
- A white cardboard box that holds an orange container.
- The orange container does not want to stay shut by itself so perhaps thats why they supply the box? It is padded and holds the brush itself.
- Inside the box is the Arctic Butterfly itself (this one is again orange - probably colour coded with the box).
- No batteries ... How TIGHT IS THAT! (that p***ed me off a little).
- Instructions are contained on a bit of tatty paper printed using a printer worse than my Mum has. They look like they have been typed in using WordPad and then printed.
Still at least they are clear unambiguous and concise.

The brush itself comprises 3 bits.
1) The cover - a nice thick bit of seethru plastic that twists onto the body.
2) The body - made from some tactile plastic (feels a bit like moleskin). It has a battery hatch (takes 2xAAA batteries that I had to supply). They fit very snugly so no complaints there. Also down the one side is a recessed switch. I'd had concerns that this would protrude and be easy to activate whilst cleaning the sensor, but no worries on that score.
3) The brush. The business end. Bristles at the top crimped into a (what I presume is) a chrome plated copper/tin tube. It "plops" (for want of a better word) onto a spigot that protrudes from the body.

Flicking the switch spins the brush. The bristles whirl around and aledgedly collect a charge which will attact dust particles. So goes the theory.

Here is what you get for your £60 (£1 coin for reference)

arctic-butterfly.jpg

Down to the nitty gritty. Does it work....
Operation is simple enough.
- Spin the brush for 5 seconds. Then turn it off.
- Set the camera for sensor cleaning (shutters stay open until you turn the body off) [adviseable to do this with a FULLY charged battery]
- Wipe the brush over the sensor one way (left to right)
- Spin the brush again (5 secs)
- Wipe the brush back the other way (right to left)
- Spin the brush again (another 5 secs) and put the cap back on.

So did it do anything?

Here is an image from the sensor (f22) before applying the brush.
before-butterfly.jpg

And the same again after (f22)... (with some effort spent highlighting the remaining dust.. )
after-butterfly.jpg

Can you "spot" (ha ha) the difference. I think the results speak for themselves.

I have to say that I'm more than a little bit pleased with the result.

Am I happy with it?
  • Well the build quality is not great. Infact I might go so far as to say pretty unimpressive.
  • The instructions are "scant", but acceptable (watch the video on the visibledust web site for MUCH more info)
  • It is easy to use and it does do the intended job exceedingly well (on a sample of 1 cleaning).

Will I continue to use it?
  • YES - It's dead easy and "safe" (as anything is the wrong side of the shutter curtains).

Would I recomend it to others. The answer has to be yes (but dont blame me if it kills your camera).

Hope this helps

Looks like it did quite a good job considering i was getting a little worried about what you were doing a review on ;) Arctic Butterfly ? sounds like one of those "massagers" ;) LOL

Thanks for spending the time to do the review Paul ! :)

Excellent review there! I got one of these for my D50 after reading Andy Rouse's rave review over at Whorehouse Express - I am (almost) upset that I haven't had to use it on my D200 but looking at Paul's before & after shots it obviously "does what it says on the tin" ... Paul (y)

I used one and it made no sodding difference at all!

Daft question but you did set the camera for a sensor clean via the menu did'nt you..:D

Oldgit.
I am very pleased you did this review as I have been considering something like this for some time.

Can you give me a direct link to where you bought it please.:)

I must admit I like the look of this system.

Isn't the brush eventually going to become impregnated with dust?

Down to the nitty gritty. Does it work....
Operation is simple enough.
- Spin the brush for 5 seconds. Then turn it off.
- Set the camera for sensor cleaning (shutters stay open until you turn the body off) [adviseable to do this with a FULLY charged battery]
- Wipe the brush over the sensor one way (left to right)
- Spin the brush again (5 secs)
- Wipe the brush back the other way (right to left)
- Spin the brush again (another 5 secs) and put the cap back on.

Hope this helps

My only comment to add to the above is after you have wiped the brush over the sensor one way (left to right), take the brush out of the camera before spinning the brush for another 5 seconds. :eek: :LOL: :eek: :nuts: Can you imagine Janice with these instructions. I have this 'image' of the brush whooooshing around inside the camera making a pretty pattern on Janice's sensor :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry Janice - someone had to:LOL:

Oldgit, I forgot to say thank you for the review. I looked at the Visible Dust site last week and was impressed by it. Is the product actually worth £60.00 though? I am thinking of getting one, but thought it a bit pricey.

Update:

I've used mine LOTS (20 plus times and more), it still does the business. Top notch bit of kit.

Also takes most of the crud off the focussing screen and mirror :D (tho I think JonReb found some gunge with his ... so beware)

I take my comment back my dust was on the focusing sensor and once applied to that it make a massive difference still had to go away for a clean though as it was really bad!

Wanda

I did indeedy. I managed to collect some oil from the side of the mirror chamber and liberally spread it over my sensor :) :bonk:

That little moment of panic did demostrate the cleaning powers of the little pill thingamejiggies that Visible Dust sell to clean the articbutterfly with. (y)

I have to confess to missing your review first time around Paul ... :embarrassed: ... but :agree: it is a very good one and amusing to boot so thanx for that ... ;) ... and the confirmations from just about everyone that has used one ... combined with your continued use surely makes this a must have kit ... almost ... does it come in Green ... :D

08.gif

I've just ordered the SD800 Pro Kit with brushes for both sensor sizes, and a mirror /focusing screen brush. It's out of stock at WE and on back order. I can't be arsed to source it elsewhere so I'll just have to wait.

I've just ordered the SD800 Pro Kit with brushes for both sensor sizes, and a mirror /focusing screen brush. It's out of stock at WE and on back order. I can't be arsed to source it elsewhere so I'll just have to wait.

They've got the SD800 Pro kit in the Bargain basement section under 'Digital : Accessories Misc':

we.jpg

Cheers Colin. I just rang 'em. They're saying if it's in the bargain basement it will a customer return so not brand new. Seeing as it's a sensor brush and heaven alone knows what misuse it may have had, I'll wait for the new one.

Thanks for the headsup though. :)

Well it turned up yesterday. The thing is nicely cased in a black plastic case which in turn is inside a zipped nylon pouch - bit of overkill really, but I suppose they have to justify the price somehow.

I had a quick go at one camera. In all honesty it was a bit rushed and the instructions which came with it are brief in the extreme. I was a bit disappointed tbh - it's certainly better but not quite what I expected. To be fair, having read the more comprehensive instructions out there on the web, I've a lot better idea now how to tackle the job.

I still like the idea of a dry cleaning system, and I might bite the bullet and get the sensor loupe to eliminate those constant f22 test shots which are a PITA.

So - the jury's out for now. ;)

Back