Are chargers for Canon all the same?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I am in the process of selling my Canon 1200D to upgrade to a professional camera (5D maybe). I would like to know if the battery charger for Canon 1200D can only charge this camera's type of battery? Or would the charger work for other batteries like for the Canon 5D? If the charger works for the 5D camera then I'd like to keep it to avoid having to buy one as well.

Many thanks.

Some models share same charger and batteries but the 1200d is a budget dslr and a semi professional dslr like the 5d would not share the same

If you buy a camera, presumably 2nd hand, make sure the seller includes the charger. If he/she doesn't include it then walk away from the deal. Different cameras have different batteries so need different chargers. Every new camera has one supplied in the box so there is no reason not to be given one even for a used deal.

The 5d3 even has a different one to the 5d so as said just make sure your supplied with one.

In the same vein.....you should include the charger for your present camera when you sell it. Don't hold on to it.

Yes, I actually posted this thread because I had no idea what was common practice and the buyer wanted to know if the charger was included. Before answering I wanted to clear out the answer. I will add the charger to the package.

Sell your camera with everything it came with, box, manual, cables, charger and original battery. If you bought extra batteries, you could throw them into the deal if they aren't compatible with your new camera.
If you're going for a higher up Canon model, they use a different battery.
The 60D, 70D, 80D, 7D, 6D, and 5D all use the same battery, so that makes life easier if you have one of those and move to another one of those models. They did introduce a slightly better version of that battery recently but they're all compatible.

1200D uses a LP-E10 so won't fit in the 5 Series cameras. 5D1 used a BP-511, the MKII, MkIII, MkIV uses LP-6 or LP-6N which essentially are the same battery.

Back