Are these.....

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Are the creature Macros in here all cropped right down to them? As I can see a 105 or a 150 macro lens can take them as close as they appear on here.

I am going into my local camera shop tmr who is getting both sigma in for me to handle. Then I make the order ;)

If they are crop can one of you kind guy put a picture of the original and the crop verion for me to look at

I probably could have got closer but,
This is the full photo
fullgroundhopper.JPG

Followed by the crop
grasshopper1.JPG

This little critter is only about20mm long.
Hope this helps
Mike

Last edited:
What what lens?

All my shots are full resized images unless stated by me to be a crop ;)

This is probably one of my favourites, it's uncropped, but was taken with a normal 50mm lens on about 70/80mm extension tubes (really hard to focus and it's fully manual as it's an olympus lens not canon). I'd love to get a proper macro lens though.

IMG_2939.jpg

All my shots are full resized images unless stated by me to be a crop ;)

And you use a 105 too hmmmm.... as i saw a fly earlier and was just seeing what a canon prime 50mm was like and it was miles away. But I guess 105 is double and the 1:1 makes it closer is that right

I do use the 105 but nearly always got extension tubes on with it pushing it up to 2:1, anything closer than I use the mp-e 65 or my panasonic fz8 and one of my raynox lenses.
I have been know to use the raynox lens with the 105 too :LOL:

Sounds like 105 is not really close enough so 150 could be the way to go. Or is it good to have 105 with extension tubes. How much are tubes?

Are the creature Macros in here all cropped right down to them? As I can see a 105 or a 150 macro lens can take them as close as they appear on here.

I am going into my local camera shop tmr who is getting both sigma in for me to handle. Then I make the order ;)

If they are crop can one of you kind guy put a picture of the original and the crop verion for me to look at

Sorry rookies forgot to tell you that the photo I posted was the Sigma 150 Macro.
Mike D

Rookie the 1:1 is the same whether on a 50mm or a 300mm it is just the focussing distance that changes not the magnification.

most macro's shown here are full size, no crop, but resized to fit forum guidelines (800 on the longest side)
this is a 105mm sigma and 36mm extension tube, no crop
I'm a bit confused over macros, as is Rookie too I think....(maybe he's not, but I am...)

I've just ordered a nifty fifty (f1.8) as I'd love to get into this macro photography too. :)

Is the image of this bug the ACTUAL image that you see in your view finder then....?

I've got a 55-250mm IS that I see other people on here have used to great effect. I note on the lens that the min focal distance says it is 1.1m/3.6ft. Does this mean that I have to stand about a metre away and focus from there...! If so, no bug is going to fill the viewfinder as in your shot here!! (...and if it ever did, I'd be outta there sharpish!! :eek: )

Some of the macro shots I've seen here and elsewhere, even show the honeycomb effect of a fly's eyes. I'd always assumed that they were cropped in to that magnification....is this right or not? :thinking:

This was taken with the equipment in my signature, basicaly a point and shoot with a macro lens attached.

No crop, as it came of the camera, just resized for the forum and a light sharpen.

P1080197JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:
Rex, This shot was taken with the 55-250 at min focus distance. I cropped away about 50-60% of the frame, it was originally pretty central.

IMG_2546.jpg

How can you tell what % crop you do? I just crop until big enough and still sharp. Have done some OK pics with the 55-250, but haven't got a clue how I'd say what crop they were.

Does that question make sense?!

Yep, it's based on how much of the image I've selected to keep and is a bit of a guess really.

Yep, it's based on how much of the image I've selected to keep and is a bit of a guess really.
So what you're all saying is - you don't actually see the finished product in the viewfinder when you take the shot...? (this is what I originally thought macro lenses gave you....)

You just 'zoom' in on the computer to achieve your final image....is that right?

Sorry to sound so dumb on this....it's all about initial misconceptions I s'pose :shrug:

Here's an example of a crop on the computer. The first image is how I saw it through the viewfinder. The second is with a big crop, just don't know how much!

hoverfly_3.jpg

2757514362_61cc6f1882_o.jpg

Hope that shows the idea of cropping.

So what you're all saying is - you don't actually see the finished product in the viewfinder when you take the shot...? (this is what I originally thought macro lenses gave you....)

You just 'zoom' in on the computer to achieve your final image....is that right?

Sorry to sound so dumb on this....it's all about initial misconceptions I s'pose :shrug:

What you see in the viewfinder is what you get - the same as any other lens, the difference is a non macro lens will not give you 1:1. ie (Explanation Originally posted by Alby ;) i have just added some pic's)

If you camra's sensor is 15mm and you shoot a tape measure at 1:1 the image will be 15mm

1-1.jpg

at 1:2 (half size) you will see 30mm as twice as much tape will fit on the sensor

1-2.jpg

2:1 (2 x Life size) you will see 7.5mm as only half will fit on the sensor as its twice as big

2-1.jpg

Here's an example of a crop on the computer. The first image is how I saw it through the viewfinder. The second is with a big crop, just don't know how much!
Hope that shows the idea of cropping.
Thamks swag....that's just what I wanted to know.... (y)

I always thought (as a doofus prolly would....) that these macro shots on the forums were 'as is'.....the finished article was what you saw through the the VF.... :eek:

It's all a learning curve I guess....having never had any experience with digi-photo's (or even normal photo's....) I thought that you actually SAW these images through the VF on macro lenses..... :bonk:

I'm a month into my DSLR initiation period......I WILL get better - I hope!! :baby:

Thanks for all your patience.... (y)

Of course though, if you have a macro lens and additional tubes like Alby uses for example, he will see in the VF exactly what he posts.

My pics are using a zoom and not a macro - :shrug: Sorry!!

Thamks swag....that's just what I wanted to know.... (y)

I always thought (as a doofus prolly would....) that these macro shots on the forums were 'as is'.....the finished article was what you saw through the the VF.... :eek:

Thanks for all your patience.... (y)

It IS what you see through the viewfinder if you don't crop the image (y) the tape images are what i saw through the viewfinder.

Last edited:
It IS what you see through the viewfinder if you don't crop the image (y) the tape images are what i saw through the viewfinder.
Sorry Dogfish_magnet - never saw your post when replying to swags.....

So you need a 1:1 lens to get a WYSIWYG effect with macro's....(is THAT right....:shrug:)

Jeesh...I feel thick as sh....ugar trying to get the whole principle of this correct in my head!!

IF, this is so....what sort of lenses come into this price bracket?

What sort of kit have you got, to get these mega-results?? (Fantastic shots, BTW....I would REALLY like to get just half the quality of these...)

Last edited:
Sorry Dogfish_magnet - never saw your post when replying to swags.....

So you need a 1:1 lens to get a WYSIWYG effect with macro's....(is THAT right....:shrug:)

all lens's will give a WYSIWYG effect but a true macro lens will give you 1:1 magnification and allow a lot closer focus so a subject will look bigger in the viewfinder than that same object would look in a non macro lens. Swag72 used a 55-250 to take his picture which has a magnification ration of 1:2.85 (I've pretended it's 1:3 for this to make it easier for me ;) ) so if he took a picture of my tape he would get this

1-3.jpg

where as if i took the same picture with my Sigma 105mm Macro at 1:1 i would get this

1-1.jpg

so if swag72 had used a macro lens the hover fly would have looked a lot bigger and he wouldn't have had all the leaves in the picture like he has in the un-cropped shot.

Back