Are we a bunch of armchair photographers? (more for fun than anything)

Are you a doer or thinker/chatter

• I'd rather talk about it than do it

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I'd rather do it than talk about it

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • I'm still learning and don't have the confidence to do it

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • The bloody weather or my job is largely prohibitive

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • I joined by mistake, liked the place so hung around for the chat

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • What's photography?

Votes: 12 11.7%

• Total voters

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
It wet and bloody horrible out there, so mostly out of boredom
I started looking at the "stats" for TP
(available to everyone under the forums section)

The Talk sections far outweigh the actual photographic sections on the forum.

So are we do-ers or talkers?

Here are the top 3 from the "talkers and do-ers"

Talk equipment Threads 39,508 / Posts 536,905

Talk photography Threads 26,491 / Posts 440,588

Processing Threads 7,426 / Posts 73,593

Other photo feedback Threads 30,451 / Posts 308,520

Landscape / scenery Threads 24,540 / Posts 232,576

Birds Threads 22,294 / Posts 235,591

Nah, just shows how much we like to yak about our hobby! (or job!)

You should have made the poll so that we could pick more than one. I wanted to select 5 & 6. :p :D

In all seriousness, the discussion threads will always be a lot longer than the photo sharing ones purely because of the nature of them. There are a multitude of varying opinions on the theoretical side compared to the actual photos themselves.

I've gone for 3 :)

I went out yesterday with the intention of taking some pictures of buskers as there was an event going on in my local town, (albeit the rain hampered it so there wasn't many buskers) when I got there another photographer was there taking pictures who I think was from the local paper, so instead of taking my camera out and taking some of my own I just let him get on with it and didn't take any :)

I still think this is more to do with me taking pictures of strangers though:bonk:

Cobra said:
It wet and bloody horrible out there, so mostly out of boredom
I started looking at the "stats" for TP
(available to everyone under the forums section)

The Talk sections far outweigh the actual photographic sections on the forum.

So are we do-ers or talkers?

The site is called Talk Photography... ;)

Had a fair few days off work last year for photo taking, but lost count of the times that the bland white sky syndrome got me

Even recently I booked a day off and it ended up being the day that marked the end of the fine spell in March, yet another grey day

Perhaps things will improve soon, but not wasting leave with all this rain about

1 pic = 1 comment then it's a boring forum, as it's talk photography we get a multitude of opinions on each pic so the forum is working :)

Now if you're that bored, maybe we should have a game for us all to play....... just like being stuck in a caravan on holiday on a wet weekend.

I have a twister mat and a bottle of baby oil to get it started :D

I too would love to get out more, but in the past 12 months I have either been too busy with work, not working so curbed all but essential outgoings (so driving to a nature reserve and paying parking fees, or driving to the hills etc was out of the question), or the weather hasn't played ball.

I do lurk on here most days! I don't tend to post much though.

its just work and stuff but when the better weather comes i will make time

Work and weather always seem to conspire against me. I don't mind the cold or wind but when it's raining sideways the birds (feathered :) ) don't want to play.

Aren't you describing the reverse of what people are always moaning about - "i post some photos and nobody ever comments on them" :)

Any Kim'll do :D

desantnik said:
Any Kim'll do :D

Kym-Marsh0145.jpg

...so perfect weather for shooting! Seriously I much prefer inclement weather to shooting under blue skies. :)

(tho I did spend yesterday on the sofa nursing a hangover :LOL:)

I rest my case :p
Although maybe I was a tad remiss for not adding the option of
"Its the beer / wine / spirits that stop me most" :D)

I am out everyday,and I always take a camera :)

But I have got about 20 cards to edit,and download to my computer :eek:

When it's wet I just try and find something to take indoors, usually something macro, but with the weather recently has almost run me out of subjects. Need a couple of days of good weather to scavenge some more subject in.

I reckon this thread just a ploy so Chris can organise another Whipsnade meet ...

PMSL nothing planned till Jan 2013 Adam, gives you loads of time to prepare (y)

I think we usually look for critique in various places such as Flickr, I rarely post my own work on Talk Photography but I post questions & take part in different discussions. I suppose I probably do talk more about photography than I spend shooting these days! Hopefully university'll change that for me as I just seem to be working constantly atm. I think this forum is an amazing place to talk about photography than to actually post it? Those were interesting finds & it does raise a few thoughts hahaha.

I actually spend most of my time on here via iPhone whilst on the train or dossing at home. I've bumped into a few posts whilst tapping away in here tho! Note to self ➝ look thru a viewfinder more often & get off forums where you can't stop chatting about itttt! :}

Last edited:
Back