Are we getting to many deliveries

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
The thought just struck me while out in the front garden doing my bird feeders ,when the DPD driver gave me a friendly toot as he drove by hmmmmm

Lol! I get a wave from about half a dozen different ones when I'm out and about walking the dog - plus the postman.

Mind you; we're are easily spotted - not many old blokes in powered wheelchairs on the streets (with an Assistance Dog) around here. :ROFLMAO:

When the RAC breakdown driver toots and waves ............................................................. :LOL:

He was in our yard at least once a week for breakdowns on the vans and I made him coffee (y)

Reactions: Sky
With all those that work doing any sort or doorstep deliveries etc I think is only nice to acknowledge that they exist and are not just 'drones'.

A few words of pleasantry costs nothing and is good karma IMO........................having said that, equally if there is a reason to complain (if needed?) then that should be voiced!

PS and yes there are possibly way too many delivery vans out & about right ~ we regularly see:-
DPD
UPS
ParcelForce
Sainsburys
Ocado
Tesco
Morrisons
DHL Local
Prime
Amazon 'local' couriers

etc.....likely missed some off :thinking:

PS we have had the same postie for must be over 20 years and on the times I have seen him I get the impression I might be one of very few that actually speak to him!

If it's photography related, there's no such thing as too many deliveries.

Remember the old rhyme "a camera a day keeps boredom away".

Last edited:
I placed an order for 7 items from Amazon Prime France last week. All in stock but have been delivered by 5 different couriers, 3 of whom arrived on the same day.....UPS, DPD, DHL, La Poste and Chronopost.

I seem to being getting parcels every day, Amazon Prime is so convenien. But I think they really need to sort their packaging out, They put the smallest things in big box’s. They should to have a recycling scheme.

I no longer have to look at my credit card number, expiry date or security code before typing them into an online order form.

But I think they really need to sort their packaging out, They put the smallest things in big box’s. They should to have a recycling scheme.

I agree. I use Amazon for almost everything, but this really irritates me. Today, I had a 10m length of cable and some cable clips arrive - they easily would have fitted in a Jiffy bag and could have been delivered by the postman. Instead, it took Hermes five days to deliver them (four too many) and they were in a box 50x40x20cm. :eek:

In the fourteen years I've been using them; I think I've killed half the rain forest myself - although they are all recycled.

I seem to being getting parcels every day, Amazon Prime is so convenien. But I think they really need to sort their packaging out, They put the smallest things in big box’s. They should to have a recycling scheme.

I have a shop and we sell products online too but trust me, there’s a very good reason things come in big parcels.

We have pretty much gone to ridiculous levels of insulation with bubble wrap, double boxing with bubble wrap between boxes etc to try stop breakages.

Even products that really should be fine can be decimated by the courier system.

Quite frankly it’s getting ridiculous and I’m just hoping a newcomer comes on the scene (Virgin Delivery etc) and tears the rule book up. We would happily pay a little more per item for more care with our packages.

Sadly I think it’s wishful thinking as I feel they are all getting bigger and worse.

We have never used Amazon much then a bank check last week saw 3 months of £6.99 paid to Prime.
We had obviously taken a free month trial and obviously not cancelled it.
So they are now on our 'Never Again' list!
They did refund one payment as we hadn't used any 'benefits' in the last month?
I thought I was too old to fall for that trick. :mad: :cool:

The Parcel Force driver here used to bring my parcels to the shop if I wasn't at home. Eventually PF noticed that he smelt of booze at the start of his shift and laid him off. One of the current drivers (and there seem to be dozens of 'em) has lost £300 of medical equipment. The tracker says he delivered it but he didn't deliver it to us. PF's phone system makes it impossible to talk to a human (assuming any are actually employed by PF) so I've turned it over to the supplier to chase up.

I have a shop and we sell products online too but trust me, there’s a very good reason things come in big parcels.

We have pretty much gone to ridiculous levels of insulation with bubble wrap, double boxing with bubble wrap between boxes etc to try stop breakages.

Even products that really should be fine can be decimated by the courier system.

Quite frankly it’s getting ridiculous and I’m just hoping a newcomer comes on the scene (Virgin Delivery etc) and tears the rule book up. We would happily pay a little more per item for more care with our packages.

Sadly I think it’s wishful thinking as I feel they are all getting bigger and worse.

I suppose it's a bit like a big car and a small car. I would rather be in a big car in a smash, rather than having a small car getting crushed around me. :)

As someone on the other side of the coin, delivering the parcels....yes, people are getting too many deliveries! On a serious note though, it's all good come pay day, even if it does mean my workload has literally tripled daily in the past year, it's worth it at the end of the month, so keep on ordering :D

It's always nice when the customer appreciates and acknowledges the delivery driver though, when you'd think some people thinks I'm only there to serve them.

I see your point, but some of the items i receive are ridiculously packaged. Got a pack of wooden loly sticks in a 10 inch square box :) the likes of Amazon surely have enough revenue to start some kind of recycling scheme.

My new lens arrives tomorrow - WEX and DPD - I do love a delivery :)

Les

Some of the DPD vans here are Nissan EVs.

By the way everyone. There is an answer.

When normality returns go back to shopping on your local high street and support local people and businesses.

Amazon etc are rich enough but trust me, many of your local shops are on the breadline now. I know this from personal experience.

All those delivery vans tearing around the country (western world) using up diesel and sending out emissions. All in the name of competition....... :(
All the Amazon prime ones round here are fully electric ..

When normality returns go back to shopping on your local high street and support local people and businesses.

Amazon etc are rich enough but trust me, many of your local shops are on the breadline now. I know this from personal experience.
I've bought a fair bit in the last year - enough that there's a delivery of some sort most days at my house - can't think of anything I've bought in that period which I'd be able to purchase in my local high street.

Let’s face It, the high street as we know it is dead, it just can’t compete with the new Disruptive technology of online sales techniques. They have to adapt or go under. It will be all coffee shops a leisure interests.

I am on a first name basis with my local UPS, DPD and Hermes drivers, we get get deliveries from them at least 3/4 times a week.

My posty can be a problem sometimes he often make mistakes delivering our mail to other people and delivering other peoples mail to us.

Just the other day he gave me a package and when I looked it wasn't for me so I waited for him coming back around to give it back to him. He explained that he had been a bit distracted as he was on the phone with the post office as his wages were wrong, he then said he had a parcel for me and would be back in 2 minutes. I then watched him walk back down the road to his van, jump inside and drive off.

I didn't get the package that was for me until the next day, he said he just forgot. :ROFLMAO:

I am on a first name basis with my local UPS, DPD and Hermes drivers, we get get deliveries from them at least 3/4 times a week.

My posty can be a problem sometimes he often make mistakes delivering our mail to other people and delivering other peoples mail to us.

Just the other day he gave me a package and when I looked it wasn't for me so I waited for him coming back around to give it back to him. He explained that he had been a bit distracted as he was on the phone with the post office as his wages were wrong, he then said he had a parcel for me and would be back in 2 minutes. I then watched him walk back down the road to his van, jump inside and drive off.

I didn't get the package that was for me until the next day, he said he just forgot. :ROFLMAO:
A lot on his mind :thinking: :banghead:

Awaiting 2 packages here today, these ones are actually for me for a change

Let’s face It, the high street as we know it is dead, it just can’t compete with the new Disruptive technology of online sales techniques. They have to adapt or go under. It will be all coffee shops a leisure interests.

We have a coffee shop inside the shop :)

Every day has been like Christmas for me lately since discovering the joys of vintage lenses. I am forever having lens caps, hoods or filters popping through the letterbox. As if that wasn't bad enough there are parts for vintage scooters too. And that really is a bottomless pit.

If it's photography related, there's no such thing as too many deliveries.

Remember the old rhyme "a camera a day keeps boredom away".
Do you mean I shouldn't be getting more than one a day?
It might not be frequent but there have been days when I've brought 2 or even 3.

That does make me sound a bit more obsessive than I really am, on average it seems to work out around 7 cameras a year. Many brought for the lenses that came with them.

Last edited:
Do you mean I shouldn't be getting more than one a day?
It might not be frequent but there have been days when I've brought 2 or even 3.

"If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess".

I agree. I use Amazon for almost everything, but this really irritates me. Today, I had a 10m length of cable and some cable clips arrive - they easily would have fitted in a Jiffy bag and could have been delivered by the postman. Instead, it took Hermes five days to deliver them (four too many) and they were in a box 50x40x20cm. :eek:

At least you got it by Airmail...

:exit:

Back