Are women drivers less polite then men?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
This is not intended to start a men v women slagging match....But on a journey you know those situations where you let someone out, or let an oncoming driver through a gap first? So on a long journey [and I am still keeping score] I found that women drivers did not acknowledge as much as men did. I should say it was my wife who was keeping count! What are your experiences?

Maybe depends where you live in the country, but I'd say it was around 50/50 for acknowledgement/thank you, but as for drivers not blocking junctions, or not letting others out, I'd rate women a fair bit lower.

I've noticed this, but put it down to their lack of confidence to let go of the wheel or their makeup tin to wave.

Maybe depends where you live in the country, but I'd say it was around 50/50 for acknowledgement/thank you, but as for drivers not blocking junctions, or not letting others out, I'd rate women a fair bit lower.
This...
At any point of merging lanes etc. women drivers tend to treat you like you're stealing their place in the queue.

I actually think women in general are `safer` drivers (take less risks) but they seem not as aware/conscious of surroundings, so maybe that is why they (not all I have to say) appear that way, Phil.

One thing I have noticed quite a lot, is young lasses driving far too close to traffic in front of them.

One thing I have noticed quite a lot, is young lasses driving far too close to traffic in front of them.
Not on motorways. I think it's above 80% men that feel the need to see what colour my eyes are in my rear view mirror.

Not on motorways. I think it's above 80% men that feel the need to see what colour my eyes are in my rear view mirror.

Agreed. Tailgating on motorways is usually a male dominated trait.
I was thinking more on general roads. I keep up to speed limits (unless not safe of course) but regularly see young female drivers far too close. It's as though they aren't paying attention, as when moving slowly in town & they're 1 car length behind, then as speed increases they keep at the same distance.
I've had this regularly. Out of town to a 40mph stretch, which then goes into the National limit & while I'm doing 60-65 the car is only a couple of car lengths away from my bumper! That tends to be when I wash the windscreen & waken them up. ;)

It's common thing for a lot of drivers to sit the same distance behind. Fed up of seeing drivers looking down all the time as they're gawping at their stupid phones instead of the road :rolleyes:

I've not noticed a particular gender split really. Vans are the ones that seem to sit far more up your chuff than anything else.

Last edited:
It's common thing for a lot of drivers to sit the same distance behind. Fed up of seeing drivers looking down all the time as they're gawping at their stupid phones instead of the road :rolleyes:

I've not noticed a particular gender split really. Vans are the ones that seem to sit far more up your chuff than anything else.

Those, and Johnny foreigner hgvs who are travelling in excess of the speed limit anyway.
There's amusement to be had with those chaps.

I'd say 50/50 as a general thing but going off topic, I think the driving test is a joke having done a general police driving course (which is much the same as the traffic but within the speed limit)

Funny thing this, I always reverse onto my drive and I live close to a junction, so I have to indicate quite late, usually I use my hazards or slow down well in advance then slot it into revere and indicate left. Most times the driver behind let's me reverse into my drive it's a woman that gives me enough room and doesn't try to get round me and stop me reversing, usually it's the men that do that. So generally I would say women are more courteous and I find acknowledgement is pretty even where I live, and most seem to acknowledge anyway. Guess I am lucky.
Matt

Last edited:
Watched a bloke do a near 360 degree spin in the snow a couple of years ago as the impatient arse wouldn't wait for the cattle truck to make its way through so he tried to overtake it. He hooked a wheel in one of the ruts and it swung him right round. I nearly wet myself laughing. He slunk off after doing a very awkward three point turn that sent him off the wrong way again. Also saw a bloke drive straight into a parked car as they weren't paying attention. Did see a woman pull right out and crash into a van. Impressive as it was a big Luton type not a small invisible van. All right outside the house.

It should be legal to shoot all those using their mobiles while driving. I'd probably get a dozen a day minimum out of the gene pool ;)

Definitely the case in Cardiff. In fact my mother-in-law have had disagreements about it. I was in the car once when someone let her out and she didn't acknowledge it at all so I asked her why not. Her response was 'it was his choice to let me out so why should I thank him'.

I think that our lane discipline isn't all it should be. The number of times o see people under taking or even using the hard shoulder to under take is on the increase

What I have observed and I speak as a woman driver is, when waiting to come out at a junction into slow moving traffic when you're hoping that someone will take pity on you and let you in. Nine times out of ten it is male drivers who are courteous and let you in, women drivers pretend they haven't seen you;)

I think that our lane discipline isn't all it should be. The number of times o see people under taking or even using the hard shoulder to under take is on the increase
I see an increasing number of people travelling far to slow in any of the overtaking lanes and refusing to move over to the empty inside lane. It's no wonder people undertake.
As for politeness at the wheel, there is no difference between men or women or even age.

Reactions: BBR
It should be legal to shoot all those using their mobiles while driving. I'd probably get a dozen a day minimum out of the gene pool

While I wouldn't go that far :), I'd go for MUCH tougher penalties for those that use their hand held mobiles while driving, eg the car gets impounded immediately.

Dave

I've seen a few recently stuck in the outside lane. Won't move over even when inside lane is free. Some awful fiat 500 thing yesterday that nearly had an accident on the roundabout with the dawdling muppet that had been doing 35 in the previous 60. So were they so they were going left when muppet was going to the next turn off. Both lanes are marked for either so this kind of cross over accident is always a risk.

While I wouldn't go that far :), I'd go for MUCH tougher penalties for those that use their hand held mobiles while driving, eg the car gets impounded immediately.

Dave

I'd just have their phone stamped on immediately. They can keep their car!

My wife lives in SW Scotland. I haven't really noticed any difference in behaviour 'on the road' between men and women. It's a pretty rural area though, and there's not much traffic, but I take the bus if possible. I try to avoid driving in the UK.

I'd just have their phone stamped on immediately. They can keep their car!

Perhaps not stamping on it, but impounding the 'phone would be simpler and cheaper than my suggestion. The driver could collect the 'phone the following day and if the offence is repeated, then the car gets taken.

Dave

I have noticed that people driving higher end German cars are often driving like they own the road and being dangerous as well. Manners usually entirely missing.

Wonder why that is, its true though! When I go out for a spin in my little sports car its always drivers of very big German cars, Audi mainly that seem to think they can bend the laws of physics with their 2 tonne Uber Barges with 500hp that need a footie pitch to slow down enough to take the bend - LOL

The number of times I have sat behind a stubborn individual in the middle or right hand lane when there is no apparent reason to be there - forces people to undertake just to make reasonable progress at less than the posted limit more often than not!

What I have observed and I speak as a woman driver is, when waiting to come out at a junction into slow moving traffic when you're hoping that someone will take pity on you and let you in. Nine times out of ten it is male drivers who are courteous and let you in, women drivers pretend they haven't seen you;)

Very honest post and more so my experience than anything else.

I see an increasing number of people travelling far to slow in any of the overtaking lanes and refusing to move over to the empty inside lane. It's no wonder people undertake.
As for politeness at the wheel, there is no difference between men or women or even age.

Couldn't agree more with this!

Perhaps not stamping on it, but impounding the 'phone would be simpler and cheaper than my suggestion. The driver could collect the 'phone the following day and if the offense is repeated, then the car gets taken. Dave

I would say immediate phone confiscation and magnetically wiped and handed back along with 250 quid fine as a minimum - I am sick of phone use on the roads.

I live in the south, work much of the week in the north. Drivers in north are generally more courteous. Not noticed much difference between the sexes. On motorways women and foreigners tend to hog middle lane. Agree Audi drivers and BMW drivers are 'dodgy' merc drivers usually older and OK.
Foreign truckers are a menace.

When I said drivers in North generally more courteous, I meant, except in Liverpool. Just my experience of course.

Last edited:
I've seen a few recently stuck in the outside lane. Won't move over even when inside lane is free. Some awful fiat 500 thing yesterday that nearly had an accident on the roundabout with the dawdling muppet that had been doing 35 in the previous 60. So were they so they were going left when muppet was going to the next turn off.
Was it a black one? Could be the same person I encountered on the M25 last Saturday, travelling at 50mph (may have been slower) in lane 3 of 4 and inside two lanes clear as far as you could see into the distance.

Audi, BMW & Mercs tend to sit on your back bumper when you are in a line of traffic in the outside lane going at the speed limit. The expected result is you should let them past, some even undertake and then indicate right to pull in front of you, why?
I could understand if you were prattling along at 45 - 50 but at the limit with no where to go due to traffic in front also doing the limit!
I would say yes men tend to acknowledge you letting them in; with a wave or flash of hazard lights. Some ladies do give you a wave but are usually concentrating on getting into the gap.

Last edited:
Was it a black one? Could be the same person I encountered on the M25 last Saturday, travelling at 50mph (may have been slower) in lane 3 of 4 and inside two lanes clear as far as you could see into the distance.

I think it was dark green...could have been black.

A few people don't realise their speedos tend to over read more at higher speeds so an indicated 70 can be as little as 62 or 63 so it's perfectly reasonable for others to want to get by.

Its got all the potential to turn into the normal TP disagreement this. I just think intolerance and bad manners on the roads are getting worse along with the perception in society today that nobody is important but yourself !
I did have a fracas down a country lane the other day with a delightful young lady who took exception to me exercising my right of way when road works blocked her side of the road, she thought she was just going to drive through on my side of the road and make me stop. Incidentally she was on her phone at the time!

I have noticed that people driving higher end German cars are often driving like they own the road and being dangerous as well. Manners usually entirely missing.

& not using their indicators at junctions & roundabouts. :mad:

This is not intended to start a men v women slagging match....But on a journey you know those situations where you let someone out, or let an oncoming driver through a gap first? So on a long journey [and I am still keeping score] I found that women drivers did not acknowledge as much as men did. I should say it was my wife who was keeping count! What are your experiences?

Guys sometimes don't acknowledge either. At one time I was driving and reached a row of parked cars, the oncoming traffic was a bit far away, so I could start my overtaking and can complete it long before that car gets there, behind me was another car dong the same. At that point, I would say that myself and the car behind me were already committed to overtaking, so we would have to complete the task. By the time I reached the other end of the parked cars, and pulled back into my lane, I saw the oncoming driver slowed down in order to let the car behind me complete the overtaking, but the oncoming driver wasn't happy having to give away. He looked like one of those kind of guys who's into baseball caps, rap music, lives on council benefits, that sort of look. I waved a thanks, he did not acknowledged me, well I could see that his eyes was fixed on the car behind me. As I went past him, I saw him actually, in a sort of "cool" way, give the middle finger signal to the car driver behind me. Kind of like "Yo!" then show the middle finger.

Well, it is your option that women drivers are not polite because they don't thank and acknowledge drivers who chose to give away to them (ie: letting them through or pull out), but so what? To me, it's the lesser of the two evils because male drivers, would insult you more than they would 'not acknowledge' you. Sometimes male drivers would get into a worst gear, and go into 'road rage'!

If I wait for someone to pull out, or I give way behind parked cars, if they don't acknowledge me, I always say thank you for making me wait.
I'd sure the irony goes wooosh over their heads, but at least I was more polite than them :D

As for Male / female, split, I don't think there is a lot in it tbh unless its a male driving a private hire cab, that he probably shares with half the family,
you're lucky if they drive on the right side of the road, around here!

Oh and they usually stop to pick up their ( pre-booked) fare, either on a blind bend, or managing to block the road some other way.
Its an art I tell you, and I bet that's the first thing they teach them in "cab school"

I would say the behaviour is far more location or region dependent. Personally I find the standard of driving particularly poor in the inner Birmingham and that includes less than courteous behaviour to dangerous and stupid driving.

i think driving in general can never be considered polit, as a motorcyclist i would so most car drivers are pretty awful.

I agree with situation awareness. Woman drivers tend to be much less situation aware, thus seem like less polite.

Not saying undertaking is right, but mid-lane hoggers tend to cause this behaviour. If they can be undertaken, they should have moved over. Simple.

If I wait for someone to pull out, or I give way behind parked cars, if they don't acknowledge me, I always say thank you for making me wait.
I'd sure the irony goes wooosh over their heads, but at least I was more polite than them :D

Haha, Same!

Where I live in rural Norfolk I tend to find that woman are certainly ruder than men when it comes to courtesy especially when theyre sitting 5ft high in a 4x4 and youre driving down a single lane - they own the road and they make you know it!
I've reversed multiple times to let them pass and they very rarely say thank you, not so for men.

Just had a young girl ride fast up to my boot. I flash brake lights but no reaction. I slowed down and she feel back to a safe distance, but only to repeat the process two more times. At the next roundabout I stopped and got out and explained she was driving to close. All I got was abuse.

This is not the first experience of this nature. One had a young child in the car and was driving dangerously.

I find that young girls are more likely to behave like this, whereas the common perception is that this is the domain of young males.

I certainly think this is the case.
I do a lot of cycling on road and off. Many times i have used dedicated cycle paths and where they cross busy dual carriageways you invariably get a small central reservation. I get stuck there ! all any driver needs to do is slow down and indicate I can cross. I'm on a bike it takes seconds. Rarely very rarely does a female allow me across, many men will. Even if the traffic is queueing (maybe to enter an island ) women will pull up close to the preceding car totally blocking my exit off the central reservation. It does my f***ing head in. I get home and start 'chuntering' to my wife who bless her does have an awareness of others road users.

Back