Are women drivers less polite then men?

Just had a young girl ride fast up to my boot. I flash brake lights but no reaction. I slowed down and she feel back to a safe distance, but only to repeat the process two more times. At the next roundabout I stopped and got out and explained she was driving to close. All I got was abuse.

This is not the first experience of this nature. One had a young child in the car and was driving dangerously.

I find that young girls are more likely to behave like this, whereas the common perception is that this is the domain of young males.

I had a similar problem today a young woman driving a black BMW tailgating me in 40s and 30s
I just tapped my brake lights a couple of times that did the trick made her drop back

One of the real racing drivers back in the '50s had an extra little switch on his steering wheel which operated the brake lights. Made the drivers following him brake too early when they used his lights as their braking point. FWIW, brake testing following drivers on the road could be seen as deliberately provocative, however justified you might feel doing it.

Leaving your vehicle at a roundabout to go back to "have a word" with the driver behind you, could also get you in legal trouble, regardless of that driver's behaviour beforehand.

I had a similar problem today a young woman driving a black BMW tailgating me in 40s and 30s
I just tapped my brake lights a couple of times that did the trick made her drop back
When I had a mk3 Cortina I used to flash the reversing lights at tailgaters. The switch on the gearbox is well positioned that it activates before selecting reverse and was very effective at getting them to back off very promptly.

I don't think they are being deliberately rude. Either just completely unaware of you waiting for them or helping them or the act of driving the car is so difficult to them that they can't manage to wave at the same time

Where I live in rural Norfolk I tend to find that woman are certainly ruder than men when it comes to courtesy especially when theyre sitting 5ft high in a 4x4 and youre driving down a single lane -
I Spend a fair portion of my working week driving around rural Norfolk, in a 4x4.
I recently related a tale, where by I was going down a marginally wider than a single track road, when a woman, ( driving a corsa type car) appeared around a blind bend, totally hugging the verge, on my side of the road, and supping from what appeared to be a small bottle of water, the look on her face was priceless!

In other news I watched a woman try to reverse park ( bays) a golf into a space that an Audi Q8 had just pulled out of today, after 4 shunts she gave up, and tried another space that was even "smaller"
That was a "no go" too, in the end the end, she drove off :D

Interesting replies, I live in semi rural Norfolk and my tally is still about 60/40 in favour of men being more polite... I do agree that generally women are less aggressive drivers but thats another subject!

Leaving your vehicle at a roundabout to go back to "have a word" with the driver behind you, could also get you in legal trouble, regardless of that driver's behaviour beforehand.
Maybe, but much more preferable, and defensible, to try and stop her committing the specific offence of tailgating. I felt it unsafe to continue driving with her so close and would defy any court to convict me in such circumstances.

Interesting replies, I live in semi rural Norfolk and my tally is still about 60/40 in favour of men being more polite...
TBH I find most people more polite out in rural Norfolk, than a lot of other places, its a tough call, but I think I'd agree with your assumption.

Maybe, but much more preferable, and defensible, to try and stop her committing the specific offence of tailgating. I felt it unsafe to continue driving with her so close and would defy any court to convict me in such circumstances.

The court would, in all likelihood, require evidence of her "tailgating".
If you felt threatened, the opportunity to pull over and let her pass must have been available to you.
I'm not defending her actions... Someone driving so close is one of my pet hates (happens a lot here with attics), but getting out to " have a chat" achieves nothing but conflict.

The court would, in all likelihood, require evidence of her "tailgating".
If you felt threatened, the opportunity to pull over and let her pass must have been available to you.
I'm not defending her actions... Someone driving so close is one of my pet hates (happens a lot here with attics), but getting out to " have a chat" achieves nothing but conflict.
We will have to agree to differ. I think the conflict was provided by her poor and dangerous driving and my actions were proportionate. The road before was a clearway, I had already slowed up and she declined to pass. The only safe option was to stop at the give way line of the roundabout which had another lane for cars to pass safely.

We will have to agree to differ. I think the conflict was provided by her poor and dangerous driving and my actions were proportionate. The road before was a clearway, I had already slowed up and she declined to pass. The only safe option was to stop at the give way line of the roundabout which had another lane for cars to pass safely.
Agree to disagree we shall :)
Exiting the car at give way lines - however many lanes - is never safe.

Agree to disagree we shall :)
Exiting the car at give way lines - however many lanes - is never safe.
Lots of things aren't "safe" but there are degrees of, and what was happening up to then was less safe. It had the desired effect as we continued.

TBH you should consider yourself lucky you weren't stopped by the police and arrested, they would take a dim view of you using threatening behaviour towards a female on her own,,
any of the passing vehicles of even the girl herself could have reported it

If it's dark i'll do that, but just flicking the side lights on usually works. I do like to use the washer/wipers though if they don't get the initial hint. (even better with all lights on too........headlamps AND windscreen!)

TBH you should consider yourself lucky you weren't stopped by the police and arrested, they would take a dim view of you using threatening behaviour towards a female on her own,,
any of the passing vehicles of even the girl herself could have reported it

I'm sure he said the abuse was received rather than given

Lots of things aren't "safe" but there are degrees of, and what was happening up to then was less safe. It had the desired effect as we continued.

There's no "degrees" of when it comes to getting out if your car at a roundabout to berate (no matter how calmly) the driver behind.

I'm sure he said the abuse was received rather than given

His word against her's if the police were involved, and blocking a lone female driver and approaching the vehicle could be construed
as threatening behavior.
Not a good situation to put yourself in.

I am extremely disappointed at the apparent defence of the perpetrator and the attack on my actions which were aimed only at stopping extremely dangerous driving.

I shall now regard this matter as closed before it deteriorates.

His word against her's if the police were involved, and blocking a lone female driver and approaching the vehicle could be construed
as threatening behavior.
Not a good situation to put yourself in.
Unless he had the other driver's phone number then I'm not sure how he would speak (in a non abusive manner) to the other driver. Is it now illegal to speak calmly to another driver?

Unless he had the other driver's phone number then I'm not sure how he would speak (in a non abusive manner) to the other driver. Is it now illegal to speak calmly to another driver?

Yes, when you abandon your own vehicle at a roundabout to do so.
This is not a new thing.

and blocking a lone female
I cannot let that comment pass. Read my earlier post. There was another lane at the roundabout. She chose to stop behind me.
I would have let her pass. I felt threatened by her actions.

Surely it is safer to stop on a bit of road where vehicles are normally stopped than in a moving traffic lane?

They're normally stopped only to give way, not to exit the vehicle for any reason.

I cannot let that comment pass. Read my earlier post. There was another lane at the roundabout. She chose to stop behind me.

ok but getting out of your car and confronting her could cause YOU problems who ever is right/wrong

Speaking with any driver at a junction or roundabout is likely to be recorded on a smart phone / dash cam and shared all over Facebook within hours. Is it really worth it ?

Speaking with any driver at a junction or roundabout is likely to be recorded on a smart phone / dash cam and shared all over Facebook within hours. Is it really worth it ?
It is if it is your own recording.(y)

Love this thread and all the hates. Me, I think p**** photographers are the worst behind the wheel. Guess it makes as much sense as all the all other prejudices.

#postedfrommymobilephonewhilstonthem25inaverylargegerman4x4

image.jpg

:)

If thats genuinely the case why not just call the police for assistance? Getting out of the car and approaching a lone female driver is only ever going to end badly for you

If thats genuinely the case why not just call the police for assistance? Getting out of the car and approaching a lone female driver is only ever going to end badly for you
And approaching a male as well. Last time someone tried that with me I took their door off their car with my car. I was not hanging about for a confrontation. It is a silly and stupid thing to do to lecture anyone about their driving unless it is your job.

And approaching a male as well. Last time someone tried that with me I took their door off their car with my car. I was not hanging about for a confrontation. It is a silly and stupid thing to do to lecture anyone about their driving unless it is your job.

Driving your vehicle and causing damage to their vehicle wasn't a very smart move either !

Driving your vehicle and causing damage to their vehicle wasn't a very smart move either !
From the options available it was the only option to get the hell out of there. If he did leave his door open whilst stopping on the roundabout to come towards me I would not have hit it and had enough space. I reported the incident to the police station which was my next stop and based on my account they seemed to agree with me. If I can avoid a physical alteration I will.

The leaf hanging in the window says it all TBH :p
I wasn't behind the wheel :p and actually our was truly off-road in the forest and on the beach. But most of all I'm not a photographer, I don't carry big lenses :)

Not unless you've had a sex change while you've been away, no. :p

Looks like the M25 to me :p
Touché not at that time no :) but trust me, a wet dog, a teenager and me in the car. You need all the air freshener you can get.

but trust me, a wet dog, a teenager and me in the car. You need all the air freshener you can get.
I don't doubt it for a minute :D

Is an air freshener like a Russian shower?

Back