Are you proud of every photo posted ??

Edit My Images
Yes
I’m newish to all this and really new to posting online, recently (4/5 months ago) started helping a local football club and noticed week by week my standards I post online (Flickr/Facebook) seem to be dropping, possibly due to getting them out quite quick for match reports, possibly the fact they don’t really go anywhere or maybe something else ?

I’m kind of confused, most of me says keep your standards high, as I’m trying to build for the future, the other half says, no point wasting hours and hours editing for barely anyone to see them.

So would you say, you are you 100% proud of every picture you post ??

A couple of thoughts come to mind. I keep practicing and trying to improve and photos I used to be happy with I’m not anymore. For events I really don’t want to spend time editing so make every effort to get right first time in camera and in jpeg, this saves a lot of time. And anyway, there is a limit to how much editing is going to help. Am I always 100% happy? Anything I send to a customer then yes.

I’m very careful about what I post online to my website, flickr, etc. I try only to post my best work but it’s a trade off between that and including lesser images which contribute to the ‘story’ of the place I’ve visited, or the theme I’m exploring.
So to that end, it may not necessarily be 100% of my best work but I’m 100% proud of the work as a whole.

I’m newish to all this and really new to posting online, recently (4/5 months ago) started helping a local football club and noticed week by week my standards I post online (Flickr/Facebook) seem to be dropping, possibly due to getting them out quite quick for match reports, possibly the fact they don’t really go anywhere or maybe something else ?

I’m kind of confused, most of me says keep your standards high, as I’m trying to build for the future, the other half says, no point wasting hours and hours editing for barely anyone to see them.

Assuming a single image is needed for a match report that image, that would theoretically be seen by the most people, could be worked on and got out for the report. The others then given more time.

It comes down to the product you deliver being your marketing tool for the next commission.

Post things you"re not that proud of, to a different account. One for art and one for documentation. :)

I must add this was more of a general question/opinion and not exactly specific (oh and I don’t get paid, so it’s not like I supplying a product as such but I technically am.)

I was just wondering how other feel, I would say I’m 80% happy with most but I’m also nearly impossible to please.

Post things you"re not that proud of, to a different account. One for art and one for documentation. :)
I like this idea, cheers

Not at all but I often post things to get feedback so that I can improve, I also post photos for fun as part of challenges which need to be posted by a deadline, you are never going to get perfection on a deadline

Post things you"re not that proud of, to a different account.
That's what I do, I have two flickr accounts and a 500px. I don't think there is anything great in any of them but I do sort of have a sliding scale of awfulness between the various accounts

Pride doesn't come into it for me, photography is a hobby so I measure it in enjoyment rather than pride.
Wildlife is my favourite genre and the opportunities can vary tremendously, so accordingly can the results ... if I don't think it's a worthwhile photo I don't process it (the majority!), a few of the better ones will go on Flickr, some get posted here but the majority just take up disk space 'just in case'. :)

I did a cull of my Flickr acc recently to get below the 1K limit while still deciding if I want to pay for it or not. What startled me was how terrible I thought some of my older images were! And at the time I remember getting compliments on them, some of them had a lot of views and were favorited by a fair number. I'll maybe feel the same over time about my current uploads. But at that, I upload 3-4 images per 100 taken or thereabouts. I'm much more critical of my photography than anyone else it seems.

How many images per match are you uploading? Are they often very similar? Maybe be a little more selective, after your initial pre-upload cull, go through the remainder once again and do another. What do the players think about your images? If they are enjoying them, and the spectators too, then why worry? I do find with FB albums some people over do it and their images can get repetitive, so I might only view a handful before moving on.

started helping a local football club and noticed week by week my standards I post online (Flickr/Facebook) seem to be dropping,

(oh and I don’t get paid, so it’s not like I supplying a product as such but I technically am.)

You 100% are supplying a market... the fans. the players the club (hopefully not the local paper) and therefore it becomes more like a job.. your producing pictures others want to see ..week in week out and for no reward... the novelty of everyone thanking you and telling you how great you are will be wearing off now and yet there you are week in week out taking pics and putting online..all this for others not for you.. oh you still enjoy going and taking the pics but not so much the editing...

So your mojo goes a bit and your standards drop.... The bad news is.. things just get worse haha summer arrives.. you start to miss it and there you are again next season..

The only answer is........stop covering the one club........ covering different clubs in your area brings that first feeling back:)

PS you would probably get a more meaningful response in TALK SPORT as most will know what your going through... not sure others answering will :)

Last edited:
I did a cull of my Flickr acc recently to get below the 1K limit while still deciding if I want to pay for it or not. What startled me was how terrible I thought some of my older images were! And at the time I remember getting compliments on them, some of them had a lot of views and were favorited by a fair number. I'll maybe feel the same over time about my current uploads. But at that, I upload 3-4 images per 100 taken or thereabouts. I'm much more critical of my photography than anyone else it seems.

How many images per match are you uploading? Are they often very similar? Maybe be a little more selective, after your initial pre-upload cull, go through the remainder once again and do another. What do the players think about your images? If they are enjoying them, and the spectators too, then why worry? I do find with FB albums some people overdo it and their images can get repetitive, so I might only view a handful before moving on.

i will prob come home with 200-350, after the initial OOF cull/generally boring, I'll end with around 100 and out of them, normally about 25-30 make it,

i will prob come home with 200-350, after the initial OOF cull/generally boring, I'll end with around 100 and out of them, normally about 25-30 make it,

That's pretty standard I'd say, a nice amount, not so many that viewers will get bored. I guess just try change it up a little, maybe it's just you that's getting bored with similar images over and over?

You don't need to be a pro sports photographer to have an input here btw, doubtful many of those viewing your images will be so I wouldn't pay too much heed to that.

You 100% are supplying a market... the fans. the players the club (hopefully not the local paper) and therefore it becomes more like a job.. your producing pictures others want to see ..week in week out and for no reward... the novelty of everyone thanking you and telling you how great you are will be wearing off now and yet there you are week in week out taking pics and putting online..all this for others not for you.. oh you still enjoy going and taking the pics but not so much the editing...

So your mojo goes a bit and your standards drop.... The bad news is.. things just get worse haha summer arrives.. you start to miss it and there you are again next season..

The only answer is........stop covering the one club........ covering different clubs in your area brings that first feeling back:)

PS you would probably get a more meaningful response in TALK SPORT as most will know what your going through... not sure others answering will :)
lol, cheers, nail on the head springs to mind.

things get worse,:eek: you are certainly correct Monday/Tuesday, I'm like not doing that anymore, Saturday morning, im like come on 1:30 so I can leave.

lol, cheers, nail on the head springs to mind.

things get worse,:eek: you are certainly correct Monday/Tuesday, I'm like not doing that anymore, Saturday morning, im like come on 1:30 so I can leave.

I probably do anything between 4 and 8 matches a week.. and usually over 100 pics per game go online.. I currently have just short of 400 thousand pics on my website :) For me it's variety.. different ground different teams and different sports.. I also do rugby, boxing. schools sports, ice hockey and all manner of stuff... cricket starts in 4 weeks.....But it's mostly football All local.. so the variety keeps me going.. however I do end up taking pics I know will sell rather than pics I want to do... but hey oh i am making a living.. still enjoy it though :)

That's pretty standard I'd say, a nice amount, not so many that viewers will get bored. I guess just try change it up a little, maybe it's just you that's getting bored with similar images over and over?

eeerm pretty sure it is just him getting bored..... thats kinda the point :)

You don't need to be a pro sports photographer to have an input here btw, doubtful many of those viewing your images will be so I wouldn't pay too much heed to that.

I was suggesting somewhere he might get even more response.. people doing the same as him will more understand his problem.. I wasnt telling him to ignore everyone else so please dont tell him to ignore my advice.. its not a nice thing to do to others members trying to help :(

eeerm pretty sure it is just him getting bored..... thats kinda the point :)

I was suggesting somewhere he might get even more response.. people doing the same as him will more understand his problem.. I wasnt telling him to ignore everyone else so please dont tell him to ignore my advice.. its not a nice thing to do to others members trying to help :(

If I was aiming solely at you I'd quote you - But your post did spark it - more a heads up. It seemed like you were saying general advice here wouldn't suffice as we may not know much about sports photography, but OP posted this

I must add this was more of a general question/opinion and not exactly specific (oh and I don’t get paid, so it’s not like I supplying a product as such but I technically am.)

I was just wondering how other feel, I would say I’m 80% happy with most but I’m also nearly impossible to please.

.. which invites general opinion, just sayin' ;) Of course posting in the sports section will get you better technical advice, but this is more about overkill/being wary of complacency

Last edited:
If I was aiming solely at you I'd quote you -

really?

You don't need to be a pro sports photographer to have an input here btw

Not hard to see the pop you had at me. as I was the only one...

Still wrong to tell someone not to take another members advice just because you didnt understand it... The problem is doing the same thing over and over again at football.. therefore other people doing the same thing could have a better insight... I didnt tell him to ignore your advice...... you however told him not to take much notice of mine..

Your obviously here for an argument so I am unsubscribing from this thread and will leave you to it.. pointless me trying to help if your going to tell the OP to ignore me :(

really?

Still wrong to tell someone not to take another members advice just because you didnt understand it... The problem is doing the same thing over and over again at football.. therefore other people doing the same thing could have a better insight... I didnt tell him to ignore your advice...... you however told him not to take much notice of mine..

Your obviously here for an argument so I am unsubscribing from this thread and will leave you to it.. pointless me trying to help if your going to tell the OP to ignore me :(

Seems like you're a little touchy this morning. Trust me, if I wanted to have a pop, I'd have done so. If anything you were telling the OP to ignore everyone else now you're back peddling. I've already over explained now you're wasting both our time and the OP's. We've both given him advice and that is all that matters, not your fragile ego

really?

id rather you stayed, your input is dedicated to my scenario, but i also like generally all opinions, its all a big learning curve for me, im finding actually taking pictures, kind of the easy part in regards to all the rest that goes with it (please don't take my "easy"as an insult, im finding the after shoot far harder than the time at the ground"

id rather you stayed, your input is dedicated to my scenario, but i also like generally all opinions, its all a big learning curve for me, im finding actually taking pictures, kind of the easy part in regards to all the rest that goes with it (please don't take my "easy"as an insult, im finding the after shoot far harder than the time at the ground"

If sport specific tips are of interest then Kipax is right, maybe also post in that section - post some examples too. All I meant was don't ignore other's advice just because they're not pros, the thread title is not specific to anything and you wanted general opinion that's pretty clear. Crossed wires and all that, no big deal once you get the advice right? Not sure why he's so upset, it's like a 5 second get over thing

Last edited:
If sport specific tips are of interest then Kipax is right, maybe also post in that section - what I meant was don't ignore other's advice just because they're not pros, crossed wires and all that, no big deal once you get the advice right? Not sure why he's so upset, it's like a 5 second get over thing
hi mate, yes i have posted in sports, but i really am interested across the board, a general opinion and no comment ever goes unnoticed for me, the more I listen, the more I learn, right or wrong is for me to decide based on my situation, no one can really know that, so everything said gets taken onboard.

and i really appreciate all help

What startled me was how terrible I thought some of my older images were! And at the time I remember getting compliments on them, some of them had a lot of views and were favorited by a fair number.

Seems a trend with things like Insta that a terrible photo containing a subject that appeals to people is liked and comments of great photo.

And maybe even more than one sport and maybe even venture out from sport. After a while just covering sport dropping the SS below 1/400 seems a quite frighting thing to do!

Last edited:
When I first got serious about this 10 years or so ago, I think pride and glory is what I was chasing:oops: :$. I did learn over the years though that it wasn't going to be easy to acheive that. I'm different (wiser?) these days, my feelings and thoughts have changed. Photography has become about enjoyment and appreciating it for what it is, one of those elements for me is that it gets you out there, I don't do indoors very well and photography is the perfect escape. Another major element of photography, no matter how good you are ( or think you are), there's always room for improvement, everyday is a school day with this hobby and I love that element of it.

I will admit though, to getting a real buzz when I know I've nalied one. (y)

Seems a trend with things like Insta that a terrible photo containing a subject that appeals to people is liked and comments of great photo.

And maybe even more than one sport and maybe even venture out from sport. After a while just covering sport dropping the SS below 1/400 seems a quite frighting thing to do!

Aye, never count likes, I mean on FB I get way more just for simple family snaps than I ever would for what I count as my own personal favourite 'arty' images.

I'm mildly happy with most of what I post. Anything less and I wouldn't bother, yet I know they could always be better and hope that constructive criticism will be forthcoming so that eventually I will be much happier with my photos.

There may be another reason you "think" your standards are dropping and it could be you are getting more critical of what you are doing.

Not really proud of any of my stuff.
I post her as it's interesting to get feedback/comments from like minded people. Aka Camera users.

Simple answer, NO. But that's mainly on reflection of older photos. I look back at photos I've posted on here, Flickr, Facebook, Instagram etc and think, 'that's pants, why did I upload that'. I guess it's down to having more experience and improving my standard of photography.

I'm not really interested in what strangers on the internet (nice though you all are...) think of my pictures as they're not really for you lot they're for me and those close to me and as the vast majority are of people and places and moments that mean something to me I wouldn't be all that surprised if other people aren't interested in what are really just pictures of people, places and things they have no real connection with.

The vast majority of the pictures I post on the internet are equipment related (usually what old lens I used and what pictures taken with it look like) and posted in the equipment threads. But that's just me.

As you're taking pictures which may be of interest to someone else you'll have two priorities. You'll want to be proud of your own pictures and you'll also hope that others are happy with them so I suppose you'll have to strike a balance and maybe not be able to spent quite as much time on being 100% happy and instead aim more to get the pictures ready quickly for the footballists and their fans to see :D That's maybe more important than ultimate quality, maybe :D So be happy :D

PS.
On being happy with my own pictures, sometimes I take a picture and look at it and think "Meh" but I often don't delete these Meh pictures as I remember that I must have seen or felt something I thought worth recording so I keep them and look at them over a period of days or weeks and sometimes I come to like them and they can even become favourites.

Last edited:
There may be another reason you "think" your standards are dropping and it could be you are getting more critical of what you are doing.
very true, and i hope this is the case
No, there is some right s***e on my Instagram/Flickr :)
yep, funny that most days/weeks i look through and think "who put that pile of sh*** on here :LOL:

Not really proud of any of my stuff.
I post here as it's interesting to get feedback/comments from like-minded people. Aka Camera users.
that's quite interesting, would you say your not proud because, you see all the issues, or just generally not happy technically ??

Depends where I'm posting them.

I don't really do instagram, but I'm all over Facebook. I post stuff from parties/events my friends and I have collectively been to, so that we can all enjoy the memories. I do process these shots to make them better (in my eyes) but they're not for magazine shoots or paid work, so it doesn't really matter. I always get positive comments, but that's because none of my friends are really photographers and the stuff I post is a lot better than phone shots of the same events.

I'm far more critical of the stuff I upload to flickr (with a few caveats - like when I just need somewhere to host an image) and the stuff I link from here to there. And most of the time, I would welcome the critique when I invite it here.

I'm definitely stating to enjoy photography again - ironically, after buying a cheaper, less capable camera.

yep, funny that most days/weeks i look through and think "who put that pile of sh*** on here :LOL:

To be fair, at the time I thought it was good.. But i'm looking back and thinking its over saturated/contrasted/too dark/white balance off.

Tend to run things past the missus with a couple of options these days and let her have the final say as an outsider :)

I primarily shoot Oval Track Motorsports, and have a Facebook page dedicated to it ( fb.me/photo114 ), and, as most people I guess, I find "likes" have nothing to do with the quality of the image, people like photos when they're in them, not because they're good photos.

I promised myself when I started (only last year) that I'd only take the photos I wanted to take, but for the specific formula I follow and take pictures of (because I have family and friends that compete in them) I'm usually the only person posting on FB, and therefore it's become expected of me. I find I'm posting pictures I wouldn't normally like myself simply because I know there are people waiting for me to do so, and sometimes I'm in too much of a rush to get them uploaded.

I've posted some pictures I'm proud of, but invariably the ones I like no-one else does, so I try to stay focused on what I think is a good image and not care too much what anyone else thinks, but that's easier said than done.

that's quite interesting, would you say your not proud because, you see all the issues, or just generally not happy technically ??
I'm generally happy with my results it's more a case of my stuff not being particularly unique.
Most people with equipment of much lower value than mine could easily take a pictures of the same subject matter and produce comparable results.

Most of the things I post I am quite proud of and I normally get a "feeling" when I look back at a photograph I've taken on the computer which tells me its good (to me anyway). Looking back further on my Instagram however, I do begin to question some of my older posts but I think that says more about my progression and what good looks like to me now.

I sometimes post images that exhibit a fault relevant for a discussion in a thread, so no definitely not proud of them all!
Most of my photos don't make it on-line, and its not just my favourites that get posted. Indeed a few of my favourites will never get put on-line only being shared as prints. - In one case where the photos are of European banknotes this is a legal requirement unless I cripple the resolution severely.

I have found over the years my standards have changed dramatically. Some shots that would have felt excellent years ago are now ones to keep to myself.

I think most of the time when i upload a photo online i am happy with it, whether i am proud of it is another matter as to me that normally only comes if i have had to really work for the image rather than having a decent idea of what i want and where to get it and then praying for good light. I do find that i look back through some of my shots now though that are still on flickr and think blimey thats rubbish but i think having them there is a good reference point to show yourself that you can/have progressed over the years and also to see how your style has evolved. I used to be a bit too shy with photoshop and barely really tickled images, then i went through a phase where i got a bit too brave with the contrast and more recently i think i have found a better balance between the two which is possibly because i have done a lot more work photographing people where too much contrast very quickly makes a person look like they have been tango'd

Back