Arrrrgh I just dropped my camera :'(

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm living proof that you should protect your lenses.

I've just got back from a lovely morning, taking photos of my kids in Heaton Park, kicking leaves at each other and playing.
We come home, have some lovely lincolnshire sausages for lunch, and I take my camera out of my bag, thinking "Right, I'll copy the shots off, clear my cards and charge my batteries for the Blackpool meet tomorrow".

Out comes my camera, I put it on my desk, I go to put my bag down....KERRRRUNCH!, and PERTWANG!. My lens cap goes flying off into the hallway, a good 20 foot away.

Yes, the bloody thing fell off my desk, whole kit and caboodle.

it landed pretty much on the front of the lens, luckily.
A: Because, it's the cheapest external part of my camera, and B: It was protected by a filter.

Unfortunately, that filter was my brand new Jessops Pro Circular Polariser, which arrived in the post the other day, and I havent had chance to use (except this morning of course).

Well, the camera survived, the lens survived, even the lens cap survived its journey around the house.

Sadly, the filter did not survive :(

brokenfilter.jpg

Luckily I hadnt had chance to sell my Tiffen polariser yet.

Been there - in Norway I slipped on some slimy rocks and the D200, which was slung over my shoulder, hit the floor with a bigger crash than I did, front of lens first, followed by a secondary clunk as the body failed to defy gravity... the damage? The filter was scuffed and chipped and bit pranged, but the camera and lens survived the fall intact. This is the second filter that lens has had, the previous one was replaced because a stone flew up as a car drove past on a gravel track and chipped it right in the middle.... so, I am definatley with the 'fit filter' brigade... they are cheaper then lens replacements!!

Christ, lucky escape there Marcel!! I REALLY should get a filter on my Tamron 17-35. It's the only lens I have that doesn't have a UV to protect it... and it's probably the most expensive! lol.

Dropped my 300D tonnes of times whilst I had it, and it bounced quite well. So much for a plasticy piece of crap, eh? :)

Still look on the bright side - probably shook off any dust there might have been on the sensor :D

Nice result considering what could have happened :eek:

*Make mental not to put filters on before tomorrows meet*

I put my old OM10 on top of my car and the wife started talking to me about the boot not shutting correctly so I went and sorted it out then jumped in the car and off we went. Coming the other way a couple in the car were pointing at us so thinking something was wrong I shoved on the brakes and then saw the camera fly off into the distance ahead of us. Yes it was totally destroyed :( Luckly the only damage I've had. You were also lucky Marcel, it could have been alot worst ;)

Ouch! :( Could have been so much worse, although I imagine that polarising filter wasn't cheap either...

That is the one of the reasons for using a filter.;) Better the filter than the lens..

Lucky escape Marcel..:)

very lucky
Looking at the way the edge of the filter is bent it took a fair whack.
Glad to hear the body and lens are ok.

you could probably get some interesting effects with that filter now :D

Phew that was close glad your camera/lens are ok.

The sausages were damn nice too :D Yeah the filter is bent in, wont turn, and is obviously cracked. It obviously took the brunt of the fall.....luckily. Left a bit of a mark on the flooring too....lol

Not too bad, it cost me 6.99 plus postage, which was an absolute bargain.

I think the camera is fine...and :LOL: at the dust, thats a good point :D

I took a couple of shots, the AF seems OK, (One spot and multi spot), zooms all in and out, focus goes all the way too. Everything seems secure, are there any other 'tests' I can do?

I took a couple of shots, the AF seems OK, (One spot and multi spot), zooms all in and out, focus goes all the way too. Everything seems secure, are there any other 'tests' I can do?

Take a self portrait.
If you think the bloke looks handsome your camera is broke;):D

:LOL: No that would mean my eyes are broke :D

Ouch, when I dropped my 1dmkii it almost had me in tears...

Thats a lot of damage to the filter, personally I consider sending the body+lens off to Canon (Lehmanns) to ensure nothing internal is dislodged. When I dropped mine (considerably worse than a few foot onto carpet) it still worked fine, but, you dont want it letting you down when need it by having some internal damage...

I know the importance of that cheap bit of glass on the end of that expensive piece of glass, whilst taking pics of Speedway riders as they went by without ducking out of the way of the flying shale, lap 3 my lens stopped focusing, when i looked down the hood there was a crack right accros the filter. ;)

Now you have a really cracking special effects filter now, I need to get a couple of UV filters. Hard lines about the filter tho' I know how much it cost as I have the same.

Been there, done that, claimed the insurance.

You've been lucky Marcel just a cheap filter, I've got my insurance for when I dropped my camera and broke the lens. I Just have to work out how to spend £200 in Jessops vouchers.

See you in Blackpool

Im even more lucky because Im not covered on any insurance. We rent, so don't have house insurance.

OT slightly, but mate - you really should get contents insurance whether you are just renting or not.

Too many of my friends have been burgled and lost everything due to not having contents insurance.

Glad your camera is ok though - better to replace a filter than the whole kit!

My worst nightmare - dropping my camera. Knowing my luck though the last thing to hit the deck would be the filter. Glad your camera and lens is OK Marcel. A lesson to be learned here me thinks.

And you lot laugh at me for leaving my 5D in it's bag :cautious:

Glad it's OK Marcel

Have fun in Blackpool.

Ouch, but at least the camera and lens seems fine, would have put a damper on Blackpool tomorrow.

I would say you can buy a new filter here but the only camera shop I know of in Blackpool is Jessops, and as you say you rent you can't remortgage ;) The other independant one shut earlier this year.

See you tomorrow - without CPL unless you want to show it off :LOL:

Ouch & lucky all at once! Glad there is no "serious" damage"

at least ou camera is fine, i think a lesson for us all.

make sure the camera is securely on a table before leaving it

Well the 541 shots I took yesterday make me think the bump has dislodged the anti-crap filter...lol

Ouch, bet that was a nervous few minutes:eek:. Glad it's ok even if the anti-crap filter is u/s.

It was my good copy of the kit lens...Nice and sharp.....

Yep, the anti crap filter is broke, I've deleted a load of crap shots tonight :D

been there done that not once but twice, although my camera was insured (20d) it was never the same after that repair, I also did a similar trick with my 5d and bust the filter threads on my 28-70L which I had to pay for as it was so new it hadnt even made my insurance! grrrrrrrrrrrrr

been there done that not once but twice, although my camera was insured (20d) it was never the same after that repair, I also did a similar trick with my 5d and bust the filter threads on my 28-70L which I had to pay for as it was so new it hadnt even made my insurance! grrrrrrrrrrrrr

That was honest of you not to add it to your equipment list and then claim a week later!

I’ve dropped my 1DMkII twice! Once last year when it fell about 18 inches onto concrete. I was packing my gear away at the time and had already taken the hood off my 16-35 when it fell down and literally bounced on the filter edge. The filter was shot (broken glass and dented edge), but luckily, when I finally managed to get the filter off and tested everything it seemed ok.

The first time I dropped the camera was when I had a 70-200 2.8 attached. It slipped out of my hands and went down hood first spearing into the wet ground. Again thankfully I got away with it.

These stories of Falling cameras are making me shiver!

Ive been lucky so far (tempting fate) I always use a uv filter from day one, there was one time i had my D80 on the bed, moved the duvet and it fell off onto the floor, not a great height but i saw it happen in "matrix" slowdown mode and feared the worst!

Being a Nikon obviously it was fine. :p

Im insured with photoguard so if anything does happen there shouldnt be a problem!

Back