Arty/different motorsport shots thread

Last edited:
There are some really really great creative pictures in this thread! I don't have any motorsport photos unfortunately but I love motorsport and high performance cars and am enjoying this thread.

[I speak with my 'retired-but-hardwired' professional Art Director's hat on]

This photo isn't arty but just a shot of my beloved red chariot's front brakes :

VW05RED_OZrevo by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ The photo isn't a work of art but the brakes are!! Proper Stoppers!

Make most of the frame black
Formula 3 Cup - Donington Park by Matty White, on Flickr

Make most of the frame white
British GT Donington by Matty White, on Flickr

Make most of the frame green
Masters Historic - Brands Hatch by Matty White, on Flickr

Add a sprinkle of pixie dust
Brands Hatch Masters-4 by Matty White, on Flickr

And pan it to oblivion
Monaco Historique by Matty White, on Flickr

The pixey dust shot is perhaps in my top 5 most interesting motorsport shots that I have ever seen, ever, from anyone… and I’ve seen a lot

Alright mate, make it sound like you were in ‘nam why don’t ya!

Seriously tho, thanks, plans to try and better it coming soon
I’ve been on Instagram for 10 years, the things I’ve seen would put you off using the clarity slider ever again… and the vignettes, the vignettes

There are some really really great creative pictures in this thread! I don't have any motorsport photos unfortunately but I love motorsport and high performance cars and am enjoying this thread.

[I speak with my 'retired-but-hardwired' professional Art Director's hat on]

This photo isn't arty but just a shot of my beloved red chariot's front brakes :

VW05RED_OZrevo by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ The photo isn't a work of art but the brakes are!! Proper Stoppers!
You see this is what I was getting at. The section is motorsport, it’s not pictures of your transport. By all means add it in the transport section but it isn’t motorsport.
There are some amazing arty images on here, ones that inspire you. I’m guilty of trying nail that technique, razor sharp panning images but I know we’ve seen thousands of them. But it’s still a sense of achievement and shouting about when you get it right.

You see this is what I was getting at. The section is motorsport, it’s not pictures of your transport. By all means add it in the transport section but it isn’t motorsport.
There are some amazing arty images on here, ones that inspire you. I’m guilty of trying nail that technique, razor sharp panning images but I know we’ve seen thousands of them. But it’s still a sense of achievement and shouting about when you get it right.
.... So I guess that cars which do trackdays don't count as motorsport.

Don't worry, I can enjoy this thread without posting photos of my own or even other people's photos of my car on race circuits, especially as none of them are as arty as most of those excellent photos already posted in this thread.

:cool:

.... So I guess that cars which do trackdays don't count as motorsport.

Don't worry, I can enjoy this thread without posting photos of my own or even other people's photos of my car on race circuits, especially as none of them are as arty as most of those excellent photos already posted in this thread.

:cool:
I will try to explain from a photography point of view. If you submitted your picture in a competition for motorsport do you honestly think a judge would see it that way? When compared to other images in this post? I understand about track cars and seeing them on the track going round would pass as motorsport but your image? Be honest. But please, post images and my comment honestly meant no offence.

I will try to explain from a photography point of view. If you submitted your picture in a competition for motorsport do you honestly think a judge would see it that way? When compared to other images in this post? I understand about track cars and seeing them on the track going round would pass as motorsport but your image? Be honest. But please, post images and my comment honestly meant no offence.
.... It's okay, I was never going to post any non-motorsport images - I have too much respect for the high standards in this thread. My iPhone snap was a one-off and only meant to illustrate my words, no more. However, I did think in passing that any petrolhead would enjoy seeing brakes like that - They are a piece of engineering art along with the OZ alloys but my photo is just a snap and not a creative masterpiece. I don't do photo competitions anyway - Judges tend to overthink everything.

No offence taken, your opinion is totally valid.

Last edited:
.... It's okay, I was never going to post any non-motorsport images - I have too much respect for the high standards in this thread. My iPhone snap was a one-off and only meant to illustrate my words, no more. However, I did think in passing that any petrolhead would enjoy seeing brakes like that - They are a piece of engineering art along with the OZ alloys but my photo is just a snap and not a creative masterpiece. I don't do photo competitions anyway - Judges tend to overthink everything.

No offence taken, your opinion is totally valid.
Cheers. I know OZ's are good as I've got them on my RS3. Some lovely gloss black Ultraleggera HLT's . Also had some on my Golf R but they were the silver Leggera's. Best wheels you can get.

it’s lucky then that you’re not the arbiter of taste, that’s one of the few shots I’ve made money from and it’s picked up a couple of placings in competitions. I guess it all remains subjective though, however for somone that comments a lot you don’t post much to give us an insight into your own level of ability… I think if you’re going to leave such brief sweeping statements on posts you should be a little more mindful of how they will be perceived by new comers and how they might be discouraged as a result…
You don’t have to be the grumpy old troll come out, share your motorsport pictures, we might even be able to help you be creative
Plenty photos in motorsport, just stick in my name!

Plenty photos in motorsport, just stick in my name!
.... You're not exactly a sort of helpful fella are you. Why not save everyone the time and trouble of Googling you whatever, and post one of your best shots of motorsport in this thread?

For my part, whatever I may think of you based on your behaviour in this thread, if I love your photo I will say so - I'll even comment rather than just an emoji. Don't be shy.

There is no problem with arty farty but the actual photos are not going to be any good!

I think that's a terrible statement but if you can show us what you mean that would be appreciated I'm sure. Truly think this thread isn't for you and maybe spent elsewhere, or on another forum maybe.

I forgot to mention I had left flickr.

I don't really have the eye for arty stuff, this is about the best I've done to date

I wouldn't say that, there's some top class images in that post. Love the Scott Redding shot at the top of the post, really works well with the bike popping out of a black background

.... I don't agree with you - You clearly have the eye for good composition and great lighting. But I guess it depends how you are defining 'arty stuff'.
I think a lot of us (myself included) are guilty of falling into the trap of thinking "arty" means mega-low shutter speeds but there's more to it than that. I guess you could say it's an image that's had more thought put into it than just "here's a bike/car on a track". Whether that's using light, contrast, slow shutter, an attempt to show atmosphere or the context of an event then I think you could class it as arty.

Or you can have your own style. I could probably tell a lot of images from @Fireproof Creative or @MattyW without seeing their name next to them. They both have a very distinctive style and I suppose that counts as arty too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that, there's some top class images in that post. Love the Scott Redding shot at the top of the post, really works well with the bike popping out of a black background

.... I don't agree with you - You clearly have the eye for good composition and great lighting. But I guess it depends how you are defining 'arty stuff'.
Thanks I appreciate it. What I’m referring to though are shots like Matty’s above such as the pixie dust and the shot through the trees. I’ve seen shots like this and when I’ve been at a track or event tried to emulate something similar but I just don’t ‘see’ it so mine are just straight forward car/bike on a track, granted some with slow shutter speeds. The Redding one I like the outcome of and it is actually something I could have on my wall, but it’s all done in PP really. The BMW at Oulton Park is the one I’m most proud of.

Some from FoS last year.

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_135742.jpg
    IMG_20210710_135742.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 6
  • NIK_8695.jpg
    NIK_8695.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 6
  • NIK_8902_2.jpg
    NIK_8902_2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
  • NIK_8919_2.jpg
    NIK_8919_2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thought I’d a couple. Maybe not arty but not the usual car shots?5D091576-644B-4263-82A5-1E1134B2FD84.jpegB340A3ED-998E-4B43-9790-59101FD40B82.jpegC56A8683-0346-4F81-8016-F4CB66810EAD.jpegAB0C0B01-DFC1-446C-BC32-A1239FCC2D2F.jpeg7

Back