Assynt workshop, north west Scotland

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I've had a week up in Assynt on a David Ward masterclass. He's a fantastic photographer who I've admired for some time now, so it was great to spend a week with him. I'm up here for another week to put the lessons into practice. Here's a few images, and I wrote a blog post on what the workshop was like if you are interested in going on one.

Happily we were blessed with excellent conditions (i.e. ludicrous weather changing all the time).

20160215-ATL00380.jpg

20160214-ATL00208.jpg

20160216-ATL00535.jpg

20160218-ATL00770.jpg

20160217-ATL00570.jpg

Assynt-24.jpg

Very good set there, looks like the workshop paid off. I particularly like 1, 2 and 3

Yes I'm with Plamen here, very interesting work, and has an abstract flavour. Its refreshing to see a somewhat different take on the Landscape scene. I like all of them, and there seems to be a nice emphasis on shape and pattern.
Its probably what we all walk past without batting an eyelid. In No5 I notice the cloud almost follows the bow in the sand in the foreground. Then shapes and swirls in the rock and the water in No2, to mention just a couple. I quite like No 3 and that is quite an example of the sort of thing I'd have probably walked past. Really like No 6, again interesting patterns in the ice and snow on the lake.
A lovely set Andy. Very nice gives a great feeling of peace and solitude.

Great eye there Andy!

Quite entertaining shots the more abstract they are.

I see, though, that the DRL was neglected what would
render more dramatic character to the shooting.

See PM!

A lovely set. It looks like you were blessed with great conditions. David is a very entertaining bloke as well as being blessed with an amazing eye.

I see a good synthesis of heart and eye in these, but maybe you posted them a bit too soon & need to review their processing (white balance & tonal range handling) ...

That makes them hard to judge. I see them as prototypes ...

The first is a very interesting shot, I've come back to it a few times. It's a strong set overall, though the second and fifth shots don't move me particularly. The final shot is strong as well, though the colour doesn't quite feel right! Some interesting compositions though, and I think the first and last shots are the strongest of the bunch!

The first and the last one for me Andy, and a nice blog. Looks like you had similar weather to when I was up there in January.

I see a good synthesis of heart and eye in these, but maybe you posted them a bit too soon & need to review their processing (white balance & tonal range handling) ...

That makes them hard to judge. I see them as prototypes ...

Yes, quite right. I'm working on a small laptop so when I get home I'll do a "proper" edit on my big screen.

Quite like all of them and can see the David Ward influences coming through.

He is very good isn't he. Though as he said when I admired one of his pictures, he's been doing this for 35 years so he should know what he's up to.

The first is a very interesting shot, I've come back to it a few times. It's a strong set overall, though the second and fifth shots don't move me particularly. The final shot is strong as well, though the colour doesn't quite feel right! Some interesting compositions though, and I think the first and last shots are the strongest of the bunch!

Thanks - some white balance playing about still do be done...

They are very, very nice indeed, I especially enjoy number 5 - composition, mood and flow is all there. I can't find anything wrong with any of them, they could be David Ward's

Searched back a page to find these, I have been meaning to comment.

They are very good, compositionally they have a very professional look about them, this is real skill - making something out of indifferent/'bad' conditions. I think the last shot is the best and the 4th one is good but needs a whack more contrast.

I like 2 and 4 the most but 2 could do with more contrast IMO

Last edited:
An interesting read on your blog. David Ward is one landscape photographer I'd spend good money on a workshop with!

I agree with the other comments that they perhaps need a bit more time spent on the processing.

I agree re David Ward. The way he goes about finding and creating an image seemingly out of nothing is what attracted me to this workshop in the first place. Plus it turns out he's a very nice guy and not at all pompous or egotistical.

Now I'm back I'm going to work through all my pictures on my "proper" computer & monitor where I can actually see what I'm doing and spend more time on them to get them right. I got some crackers last week (IMHO!) which I really want to play with in more detail.

Top, top quality images. This is real photography. Clearly we should all be going on these worthwhile courses. Of course, it helps that you were pretty good before you went.

I was hoping to do a Workshop with David at Southwold in April before I broke my ankle. I absolutely love his work, seems you really captured his style here. Beautiful and thank you for sharing.

I love David Ward's work and I can see the influence streaming through in these photos. A very accomplished set of photos!

Back