Astro shot - The Tulip nebula *setup pics added as requested*

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
This is an image of the Tulip nebula (Sh2-101) - It is taken with an astro cooled camera and filter that only allow certain light through them. This is a stack of 35 exposures each one being 25 minutes (A little different to day time photography!!!)

The Tulip Nebula, or Sharpless 101 (Sh2-101) is an emission nebula located in the constellation Cepheus. Named because it appears to resemble the outline of a tulip when imaged photographically. It lies at a distance of about 6,000 light-years.

Sh2-101 (Tulip nebula) in Narrowband by swag72, on Flickr

Last edited:
This stuff really is brilliant(y)

Fascinating and a beautiful image. A little different to macro;)

:clap: Keep them coming Sara. I think these are absolutely beautiful and I could spend hours looking at them.
If this is what you do when you're disillusioned with "normal" photography I'm all for it.

I wish I could give you some meaningful critique, but these are so far out of my photography comfort zone and I'm just blown away by the beauty of them.

Lovely Sara... very Hubble Pallette ;) I'm guessing this is an Ha target ?? not that I've got anything that's really Ha capable... I need some decent clear skies, and some darkness...

:clap: Keep them coming Sara. I think these are absolutely beautiful and I could spend hours looking at them.
If this is what you do when you're disillusioned with "normal" photography I'm all for it.

I wish I could give you some meaningful critique, but these are so far out of my photography comfort zone and I'm just blown away by the beauty of them.

Thanks Sarah (y) I'm glad that you like them.

Lovely Sara... very Hubble Pallette ;) I'm guessing this is an Ha target ?? not that I've got anything that's really Ha capable... I need some decent clear skies, and some darkness...

Cheers John (y) This is Ha, OIII and SII mapped in the classic hubble style. It was tricky as even with 25 min exposures, there was little OIII showing through.

Stunning Sara, I wish I had the equipment to try this, unfortunately I live in an area that gets lots of cloud and rain (like most of the UK at the moment) :clap::clap:

Thanks for the comment Allan (y) I am definitely blessed with better skies - If I lived in UK I'd not bother with the frustration that is astrophotography!

Cheers Pete. Equipment setup cost, you are looking at probably about £3000 for this little lot. I will post a pic up sometime of the scopes and stuff on the mount.

Only a little bit technical Dave!! Thanks for looking (y) I'm sure if I tried to explain the capture process a little I'd bore you all to tears!!!

There is a guiding scope and camera that is connected to the computer that keeps locked on a guide star all night, so theoretically I could get a 60 minute exposure with no rotation.

This is awesome!

Don't suppose you have a photo of the setup? I'd love to see what equipment like this looks like.

Here you go - three images just taken of the setup I use to take my astro pics.

The black telescope is 900mm and operates at f7.5, this is good for galaxys as you want to get in nice and close. The Pentax (green looking middle size scope) is 500m and f6.5. That is great for nebulas and the last 2 pics I've put on here have been taken with this scope.

The small white scope is the guide scope with the gold camera at the back - Connected to the PC that will stay in the same part of the sky all night.

The camera is a 1.4mp cooled CCD astro mono camera, currently stuck on the back of the Pentax. This is a mono camera and so the filter wheel infront of it is packed with 7 filters (including RGB) so that by combining each filter I get a coloured image.

Masses of cables as you can see and a real nightmare when it doesn't want to play!! All housed in it's own little observatory!

scope2.jpg

scope_3.jpg

scope2.jpg

That is a beautiful image. I can completely understand the appeal of this type of photography.

From your setup it looks like you'd need a massive investment (and a lot of know how!) - but I can see why it'd be worth it when it helps to produce images like that.

Thanks for posting (y)

Back