Astrophotographer Alyn Wallace has passed away

He was kind enough to reply to some of my comments to his photos on social media. He was certainly an awesome astrophotographer, and will be sadly missed by that fraternity.

It’s been a sad day for photography news….

That is absolutely terrible :(
Still use the Z/V plates designed by him. Will miss him.

I am deeply shocked... I have a signed copy of Alyn's book, photographing the night sky, which is encyclopaedic in its scope and he was a great source of inspiration to me.
There appears to be no reports as to how or why this could happen to such a young man.

Are we absolutely sure that this isn't some silly hoax because I'm struggling to find what I would regard as a trustworthy or verifiable source for this news?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most reporters on this news appear to be citing a website called savanaoptics.com, a website that it almost brand new, having been only created 5 days ago.

I've also read the same obituary 4 times, each with a different authors name, claiming he was their personal friend. This obituary, was posted on https://westernheadlinenews.com/

Another website which looks exactly the same as the savanaoptics website, and again, which was created only five days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard about this from Nigel Danson's Facebook post.

This is all I know.

If it's a hoax there are some sick people in the world.

This is all I know.

Indeed, but it wouldn't be the first time. No matter how many times I follow the thread, it ends with no verifiable source. Like, I'm sure Alyn's family wouldn't make a point of contacting Nigel Danson before issuing a press release or obituary.

This is all I know.

I found out about it from Mick Ryan's Instagram page, Mick runs Fotovue which published Alyn's book. I think the chances of this being a hoax are sadly pretty slim.
Rest in Peace Alyn.

It's interesting that there is some talk of this being some kind of misinformation, when I was looking at the Google search responses to his name during the night there were a large number of links that were obviously "bad", just clicking on the links threw up all sorts of weirdness, mostly spoofs about McAfee detecting stuff. Since I don't have McAfee installed I was suspicious.
Anything seems to go these days, it would be wonderful if the news was false and he was alive but as stated above that's most unlikely. What a world this is becoming:(.

I am deeply shocked... I have a signed copy of Alyn's book, photographing the night sky, which is encyclopaedic in its scope and he was a great source of inspiration to me.
There appears to be no reports as to how or why this could happen to such a young man.

Are we absolutely sure that this isn't some silly hoax because I'm struggling to find what I would regard as a trustworthy or verifiable source for this news?

I think everyone wishes it was a hoax.

The news has been shared by the FB page he jointly ran, several other groups and pages, numerous fellow YouTube photographers who are good friends of his and by companies such as Kase filters and Move Shoot Move.

It was apparently a sudden death through illness.

I found out about it from Mick Ryan's Instagram page, Mick runs Fotovue which published Alyn's book. I think the chances of this being a hoax are sadly pretty slim.
Rest in Peace Alyn.
Thanks. Yes, sadly, I'd say that looks like a verifiable source.

Alyns been ill for some time, I'm not sure I should discuss details but sadly I'm told it's true that he's passed away. He will be missed and Youtube will be lesser for his passing.
His videos have brought a wealth of information and help to many photographers. He will be missed. RIP Alyn..

It is a great shame. He visited my Camera Club a couple of years ago and gave an inspiring talk; we will certainly miss his knowledge and skills.

Dave

What a rubbish week for losing good people. Alyn's book fro, Fotovue is superb, a real magnum opus that will be one of his legacies.

Alyn's book from Fotovue is superb, a real magnum opus that will be one of his legacies.

Couldn't agree more Lindsay. It will remain the complete and definitive guide for Astrophotography and a testament to his life and incredible knowledge.

Such a shame. I followed his youtube channel from its first few videos when he was just a talented amateur and watched as he grew in reputation and knowledge. He helped me massively with my milky Way photography.

Very sad. He was only young. I Wonder what happened.

Alyn discusses his health issues in this blog he posted some time back...

He'd been ill since 2021.

Alyn discusses his health issues in this blog he posted some time back...

I think it was the Pons Brooks vlog recently (or certainly a recent vlog) we thought he didn't look well and looked like he'd lost some weight - I know he was fairly small build anyway, but he just looked very thin in his arms and face.

Like many I am absolutely devastated by Alyn's death. He was a friend as well as one of the best authors I work with. I will be writing an obituary in due course.

Best to you all.

Mick
Thanks very much for posting Mick. I didn't know Alyn, though I felt like I did through his work, which I highly valued and appreciated. You could just tell he was a genuinely decent guy, and I know he'll be sadly missed.

Back