ASUS beeping away

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got an ASUS computer which has suddenly decided not to boot to Windows and just continues to emit a short beep every 4-5 seconds with a black screen.

I can get into BIOS fine and I've tried resetting back to defaults (although it was never changed from defaults other than the boot sequence)
I've pulled the CMOS battery out and back in
Tried different RAM slots
Checked all connections
Disconnected the original HDD so that only the newer Kingston SSD is connected (which has been working fine for over a year until now)
When I disconnected the SSD and boot to the older HDD it will boot to Windows recovery but it won't repair. I can't get to this stage with the SSD.

Does it sound like the SSD has failed or has Windows corrupted somehow? I've never experienced a computer to beep from a software corruption.

What's the model of the pc? How many times does it beep or is it constant? Normally they will beep in a pattern or sequence to distinguish between different errors

Constant short beeps. I can't find any ASUS codes which relate to this sequenence.

Reinstalling Windows as we speak to see if that fixes it.

Was thinking the same thing but I've managed to reinstall Windows on the SSD and it seems to be working fine again. Although I need to get all the drivers downloaded and install a lot of software - proper pain.

If this was my computer, I would suspect the motherboard.
You may find that going through all the reinstallation of drivers, the fault reoccurs after you boot from cold.
I keep image backups of all my working systems to avoid having to reinstall windows+ updates just to get back to square 1.

Never thought of keeping image backups, good call.

So far so good but I'm not holding my breath.

Back