At last!

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally, 19 months after the operation and 9 months after putting the application in, the DVLA have finally given me my license back! After just a few miles, I feel fairly confident about driving but Mrs. Nod is under instructions to keep an eye on my driving just in case I'm not as competent as I am confident. No squeaks yet so I can't be doing too badly. Wish I knew what the delay was - I suspect incompetence but I guess I will never know. The important thing is that I am back on the road and independent again...

WooHoo Nod!!
Congratulatons!!

That's me never driving through Devon again! :p

Independent???? With your Mrs sat next to you? HA!

Well done Nod, no problem beating a trail to Escot now :D

WooHoo Nod!!
Congratulatons!!
Congrats Nod you must be dancing for joy!:D

Apart from the fact that I don't dance (not only can't but don't!) unless vaguely rhythmic drunken staggering counts, all I did was fill in a few forms so don't really deserve congratulations - but thanks for them anyway!

That's me never driving through Devon again! :p

Independent???? With your Mrs sat next to you? HA!

You're not even safe on your own 2 feet! Besides, we don't have many ditches, just stone walls a millimetre behind what looks like a nice soft hedge... Even after 30 years as a couple (I think, may only be 28), we still enjoy each other's company. (Weird and alien concept to some!)

Well done Nod, no problem beating a trail to Escot now :D

See above comment - Mrs Nod will be joining us on Friday and would have been happy being my chauffeuse anyway. Just need to decide which car to bring now!

After the best part of a year, I'll be doing the driving for a while - Mrs Nod's turn to drink if she wants to!

The oddest thing was how easy I found it to jump into the driving seat and just do it. I went for a quick (well, slow) round the block as soon as I had put my contact lens in just to see if I was scared of the unfamiliarity but felt instantly at home. As I said, Mrs Nod is under instruction to be critical if I need it but says she's not worried at all about my competence. Had I felt in any way unsure, I was going to have a refresher lesson but don't think I need one. I even manage to judge my speed without the meter! (Of course, being able to set a limit in town helps a little but I only used it once on the way down since there was a load of traffic on the way home!) Not sure a manual would be quite so easy but I managed well in December '12 (when I was first allowed to drive again before they changed their minds...) taking the old car down to pick up the current one.

Even after 30 years as a couple (I think, may only be 28), we still enjoy each other's company. (Weird and alien concept to some!)

So mrs nod was just a teenager when you go together.. you dirty old man ;)

That is fantastic new Nod pleased you are back to normal now (well as normal as you can be)..

Mrs Nod was 21 when we got together so it was 2? years ago! (A gentleman wouldn't reveal his wife's age and neither shall I!!!)

Thanks, Terri. I'm hoping I sleep better now, I've been dwelling on why they have taken so long over it and wondering if they knew something I didn't but obviously not! As you say, as normal as I ever have been!

Yup! Flat out down the A38 was a blast!!! ;) Shame it was wet and I'm far too sensible for such antics.:D

Yup! Flat out down the A38 was a blast!!! ;) Shame it was wet and I'm far too sensible for such antics.:D

be aware that the speed camera at the bottom of haldon hill is active - you'd be best off on the A380 so long as the talivan isnt present

I have shares for sale in all these valuable enterprises ...

http://www.yell.com/s/car body repairs-exeter.html

I bought lots quite cheaply as soon as I heard he'd applied to the DVLA
Shame :fingers: doesn't work here!!! AND :beatit:.

be aware that the speed camera at the bottom of haldon hill is active - you'd be best off on the A380 so long as the talivan isnt present

I have no intention of testing the old theory that 150MPH past a UK Gatso camera means the 2nd photo misses you so a prosecution may fail. Besides, book top end is a little short of that anyway! Maybe in hers - if I'm ever diagnosed as terminal but still capable of the feat!!! I've checked the speedo in mine against a satnav and keep to the limits these days - I reckon I'll live longer. We actually went down the 380 to see a mate (a fellow member who you would have met on Friday) then headed up through Chudleigh and down to a pub in South Brent for a very good fish and chips before the trundle home.

If I wake early, I'll probably head East for a sunrise, although it may well be a few weeks late for them from B'combe now - maybe Lyme is a better bet.

Glad to hear you're mobile again.:)

Can I just make one request?

Get in plenty of practise now - practise, practise, practise.

I'm down in Devon at the end of the month and I'd rather you were back in control by then :exit:

Back in full control - cruise set to a standard 40MPH at all times... ;)

Mrs Nod is very relieved that I'm now allowed in the right (and correct) seat to do my driving rather than doing it from the left hand side of the car! (TBH, I think she may also be quite relieved that I can take over the driving on holiday too - Cretan drivers can be erratic...
It's mainly been little things that have irked over the months I've had off duty, like nipping down to pick up prescriptions or slipping down to grab some compost, doing the shopping while Mrs Nod's teaching.

If it's as gorgeous a day there as it is here today, I hope aunty and uncle Nod have been out enjoying it... (with aunty Nod being able to enjoy a glass of pinot with lunch!) :)

After many years on the wrong side of the bars, neither of us are really drinkers. We enjoy a glass (or several) of wine with supper on holiday but very rarely drink at lunchtime. Besides, Mrs Nod was teaching at lunchtime so I was running a few errands (mainly to do with recommissioning the bike in readiness for an MOT etc in time for some good weather. Only needed a new battery (my fault, I let it run too far down to get any life back into it) and an inch taking off the high pressure fuel line - of course, I only discovered the need for the hose trim after turning on the ignition and discovering that it wasn't only the injector that was issuing a fine spray of fuel... Never mind, the drive is fnorkled anyway!
Heading down to Tintagel, Boscastle and Trebarwith Strand tomorrow, mainly to do a pasty run (with the air set to recirculate as we pass the sewage works [aka Ginster's factory] just East of Launceston) but also a run out for the car to get the DPF regenerating. Of course, a camera or 2 will be making the trip with us and I might even share some of the results!

Ohhh....there's a pasty shop in Tintagel...right by the start of the path down to the castle. ..is that where you're going?

Nod's on the road again wearin' a flat tweed cap again
Nod's turning Ginsters down to keep his pasties lean
All his tanks are full again his world's as good as gold again
Sez if you see the green team now ask them please to pity me

PMSL :)

Ohhh....there's a pasty shop in Tintagel...right by the start of the path down to the castle. ..is that where you're going?

Just around the corner (about 10 yards around the corner), Pengenna Pasties who have a few branches throughout the county. We usually get 4 or 5 of each (traditional and vegetarian) to bring home and freeze as well as a couple to have while still hot from the oven! Only once have we been there and not had to queue - the queue is usually about 10-15 people long on the pavement!

Keith, I did actually try on a few tweed caps of the flat variety to wear as sunscreen for the solar panel when driving Mrs Nod's car with the roof down but I look a total tw@ in them so went for a waxed cotton baseball type cap with a leather brim. The brim doesn't quite match the car's upholstery but the cap's pretty close to BRG! As I'm sure Ruth will testify (as will Yv, having eaten in the attached caff when we met up down there a few years ago), the pasties at the shop I'm talking about make Ginster's look underfilled and anaemic not to mention knocking them into a cocked cap as far as taste goes!

He likes shooting nikon
Heavy metal camera
Pasties cause the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' gonna make it happen
Take the lens in a love embrace
Fire all of your frames at once
And explode into space

If I ever make it to Tintagel, and hope to one day, I'll definitely look them up.

I'm drooling.

In that case, I'll be sure to post a shot of a steaming, freshly cut example!

In that case, I'll be sure to post a shot of a steaming, freshly cut example!

seriously , this reads like a scrivens thread :puke:

Its not like us to be talking crap :whistle:

Excellent news I know I would be going stir crazy if I couldn't get out
I know mrs nod took you out but it's great to be able to go when and where you want

Luckily, Mrs Nod is self employed and doesn't work that many hours per week so was available most of the time and we share most interests (well, she's not a photographer but is always happy to come along to see what I'm shooting.) It is rather nice to have a bit more freedom though!

Only problem is that the place I used to take bikes for MOTs closed a couple of years ago and I'm not sure who's best now - the bike's just turned 3 years old so needs its first test... Shouldn't be any problems but shouldn't and won't are quite different things!

None of my mates who are bikers would go near Bridge! There's a place out in Crediton who understand older style bikes and that's the right side of town but will check with a couple of mates to check that they do a thorough but not too stringent job! The old place everyone used to use was only really interested in making sure the bikes were safe - noisy pipes etc were generally ignored! Of course, the Enfield's bog stock and hasn't done many miles so shouldn't have any problem sailing through but you never know!

None of my mates who are bikers would go near Bridge! There's a place out in Crediton who understand older style bikes and that's the right side of town but will check with a couple of mates to check that they do a thorough but not too stringent job! The old place everyone used to use was only really interested in making sure the bikes were safe - noisy pipes etc were generally ignored! Of course, the Enfield's bog stock and hasn't done many miles so shouldn't have any problem sailing through but you never know!

well the four guys I know who use them don't have any problems - personally I use kingsdown just east of sidmouth but that's for a car , I don't ride anymore on account of one too many near misses

well the four guys I know who use them don't have any problems - personally I use kingsdown just east of sidmouth but that's for a car , I don't ride anymore on account of one too many near misses[/quote]

Smart move.

Back