Atmospheric effects

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not sure this is the best place for this, but here it is for now at least :D, sorry if it is in the wrong place.

As I promised on a couple of threads, I've managed to post up the video that I used to stack and process into (I rotated the end result to get the correct way up view, that you would normally see, the scope with mirror diagonal inverts it).

langrenusmono.jpg

The video clearly shows the adverse effects of atmospheric seeing and is seen as the wobbling. It was shot at 1200mm with a webcam, crop factor 8.5, so a 35mm EQFL of 10200mm. Whilst it becomes very apparent using this sort of magnification, the effects are still there when shooting the sky and the moon. They are less apparent the shorter the focal length. This will have a dramatic effect on the IQ of single images. Thus the webcam, shooting at 10 fps and merging the best frames into a single image, in the above case it's 400 of 600 frames. Dedicated astro cameras (like the DMK) are able to crank out 60 fps and this helps even more (man I'd love one of those... more expensive toys on the shopping list :D)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKvJWhVRmM0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKvJWhVRmM0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I hope this helps explain what I've meant on various moon posts about the atmospheric conditions affecting the quality of moon shots.

This is a great post John, that shows the problems that there are with moon shots. I need never blame anything but atmospherics on blurry moon shots!! Thanks for that!!!!!:LOL:

You're welcome Dave

YEY!! Thanks John, that explains a lot about moon shots. Now if I can just find some way of applying atmospheric issues to the rets of my blurry oof pics.... :LOL:

Good luck with that one :LOL: I wish I could get away with that too :D

This is a great post John, that shows the problems that there are with moon shots. I need never blame anything but atmospherics on blurry moon shots!! Thanks for that!!!!!:LOL:

It's not just moon shots, it'll affect anything you're trying to image out/up there but the effect gets more noticably worse at longer focal lengths. However, the trick is to catch the spots of minimal interference. We really aren't helped out, here in the UK, by having the jetstream passing high overhead and all the turbulence the high speed winds have.

Back