Audio Synch

Edit My Images
No
The nearest I can get is a 10th of a second, when synching an external audio file to the video track.

I'm currently using video studio. Is there another package that has more control of a ripple edit for a more accurate adjustments?

Premiere or Premiere Pro will give you more control.

On FCP7 you create a sequence for each audio/video pair. Then edit with these sequences rather than the individual clips.

It needs a quick change to the keyboard map.

A clapperboard shot helps.

Thanks CSB & st599 - I was using the clapperboard (or clap at least), but couldnt get it closer than about 20th of a second. over the course of the video the sync is way out. As video studio works in 10ths I was always that fraction out! Played much closer on the desktop than it does now on youtube.

Was going to load premier pro, but not sure my system can cope with it. Tried it on the laptop on which it's loaded and it wouldn't even open the files. May have to shoot in future on the 7d instead of a G7 compact - but its just me talking to camera so nothing significant.

FCPX allows you to sync audio tracks automatically, provided both tracks are distinct, i.e. in built camera mic and additional external mike.

It's as simple as selecting both tracks ( or more) and it will find common phrases and joint them together as a composite. Although a composite each track is stored separately and can be muted, or adjusted. A clapper is useful but not necessary.

It's similar to Plural Eyes.

Thanks CSB & st599 - I was using the clapperboard (or clap at least), but couldnt get it closer than about 20th of a second. over the course of the video the sync is way out. As video studio works in 10ths I was always that fraction out! Played much closer on the desktop than it does now on youtube.

Was going to load premier pro, but not sure my system can cope with it. Tried it on the laptop on which it's loaded and it wouldn't even open the files. May have to shoot in future on the 7d instead of a G7 compact - but its just me talking to camera so nothing significant.

Is the sound recording 48 kHz?

Unless you are splitting the audio track in the video editing software and manually shifting the audio tracks, it will go out of sync over time. This is due to the fact recording devices (audio and video) have a built in time clock and no two devices clocks will ever be exactly in sync. This is usually unnoticeable with short clips, but will be more evident during longer clips (when filming a concert for example).

In a professional environment, cameras and audio recording devices are synchronised using something called timecode. The devices are cabled together using BNC connectors and cables (there are other transmission methods, but the principles are the same), with a special timecode signal being sent to each device. Think of it like them all calling the speaking clock every few milliseconds and setting their watches. When it comes to editing in something like Avid or Final Cut Pro, all the video and audio tracks can be synchronised with incredible accuracy.

The synchronise clips function in FCPX (mentioned above) is a very good way to synchronise audio and video tracks.

Last edited:
Unless you are splitting the audio track in the video editing software and manually shifting the audio tracks, it will go out of sync over time. This is due to the fact recording devices (audio and video) have a built in time clock and no two devices clocks will ever be exactly in sync. This is usually unnoticeable with short clips, but will be more evident during longer clips (when filming a concert for example).

In a professional environment, cameras and audio recording devices are synchronised using something called timecode. The devices are cabled together using BNC connectors and cables (there are other transmission methods, but the principles are the same), with a special timecode signal being sent to each device. Think of it like them all calling the speaking clock every few milliseconds and setting their watches. When it comes to editing in something like Avid or Final Cut Pro, all the video and audio tracks can be synchronised with incredible accuracy.

The synchronise clips function in FCPX (mentioned above) is a very good way to synchronise audio and video tracks.

I was assuming genlock or black and burst (not timecode) was not in use. The clocks will drift, but it shouldn't be noticeable on short clips.

I think the fix would be to set the clap frame to timecode 10:00:00:00 on the video and audio and then allow your editor to synch them.

I'm very much user rather than pro on this, basic gear and set up for personal marketing use. Video was around 4-5mins in length, re shot on another camera and appeared to fix, suggest there is an error in the camera. Will keep practising. May also just have to accept the 7d may be the long term answer instead of compacts.

Back