Aurora Borealis/Norway - Tips?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Next week my daughter is going on a Norwegian cruise line up the west coast of Norway, calling at various ports/towns and ending in the Arctic circle in the hope of seeing the Aurora Borealis.

She will have a Nikon D40 and lenses covering 10-24, 18-55, and 55-200.

Any tips as to how best to catch that landscape and particularly the AB?

The 10-24 and a tripod will do it. If she won't have a tripod with her then some kind of firm support (bean bag, snow?) may work.

Tripod, fast lens, high ISO and 5-10s shutter speed. Mix to the capability of your kit.

It is now March and the AB is on the wane but she could still well be in with a chance. You may like to peruse Tony Spencers AB images from northern Norway & beyond and in particular the helpful EXIF data.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonyspencer/

I hope this is helpful.

Rgds

make sure you take off any uv filters, something to do with wavelengths apparantly, or at least thats the info i got from my work colleague who recently retunred from a northern lights excursion

We returned yesterday from a similar trip (Hurtigruten - MS Vesteralen), the tripod is a must, as many people on the boat didn't bother with one (only noticed 4 tripods on the whole trip and two of those were mine and my partners) as the other people thought the movement of the boat would make it pointless, but we got the photos and they didn't.

As someone else mentioned your daughter will need her 10-24 lens for the lights due to the huge amount of sky they can take up, but she should also consider taking her longer lens as I used my 100-400 a fair bit as well as there could be the chance of seeing a Sea Eagle.

In terms of the comment about the lights being on the wane now, I think it is from about October to March when you are most likely to see them. We were lucky enough to see them on three nights (they do announce sightings on the ship), but the first night to the naked eye it simply looked like light coloured grey cloud, yet when I just took a photo the green could then be seen, so she will need to look closely.

Although on the other two nights they looked more like you would expect them to see, based on what you see in photos and on TV. She also needs to make the effort to see them as I would say at least half of the people on our boat didn't make an effort and therefore didn't see them!

On another mater she may wish to take some sea sickness pills as for us at least it was a little rough at times due to the fact you are sometimes in open water, but the Vesteralen is one of their older ships so another one might be different and it was also rather windy.

Tell her to watch out for the ice and cold water from Neptune as part of the ceremony for crossing the Arctic Circle!

I'm up here in the arctic circle north of Norway at the moment for work and we've seen the lights most nights over the last week. Sunday night was the best we've had so far (was busy and missed them unfortunately) although it's been a bit cloudy since. They're supposed to pick up again nearer the middle of the month around the time of the new, or at least waning, moon so should tie in nicely with your daughter's trip.

Tell her to watch out for the ice and cold water from Neptune as part of the ceremony for crossing the Arctic Circle!
Technically the Neptune ceremony is for crossing the equator but any opportunity to inflict suffering on new seafarers is welcomed :LOL:

Back