Aurora forecast looks promising.....

:)We are heading to the Lofoten Islands on Sunday, do you think it will be good there at the beginning of the week? Fingers tossed.

Total cloud cover at the moment, it may clear by midnight.
Still forecast for Kp7 for midnight to 3.00

Down to Kp4, so unless you're in Iceland...
Just picked my son up from work at 3.30 and there is total cloud cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
Yep! Wished I'd never read this thread or heard or aurora watch apps, just woke up after 4 hours sleep and I'm off to work.

Well north Norfolk coast was being a bit optimistic perhaps.

That's the chance you have to take, nothing ventured nothing gained. My first trip to Iceland was ten days without seeing the sky never mind an aurora just solid overcast. Still went back again the next year and got a full on auroral storm with clear skies. Some you win some you loose.

That's the chance you have to take, nothing ventured nothing gained. My first trip to Iceland was ten days without seeing the sky never mind an aurora just solid overcast. Still went back again the next year and got a full on auroral storm with clear skies. Some you win some you loose.

Absolutely agree. It was a bit tongue in cheek, I'd always make the effort.

Looks like your perseverance paid off by the pictures you linked earlier in the thread, great stuff.

:plus1: Andy, We went to Iceland and just caught a glimmer. Went to Norway in 2014 and saw s*d all. Went to Norway again last year and got the full light show every night for three nights. It's just luck;; shame the persistence costs so much though:)

Another aurora expected over the next couple of days not sure exactly when but worth thinking about if you have clear skies and in the northern part of the UK. Not as strong as last time but G2/KP6 so visible from the Northern Ireland or Northern England and above.
Rain is forecast - as usual :) up here.

I'm staying in the warm this time.

All I got from Friday was the realization I'm not fit anymore (scrambling up the Long Mynd) and hands covered in sheep droppings.

Oh, and some nondescript night photos in moonlight

I won't be going. It's going to be very wet this evening and tomorrow.

Another aurora alert for tonight and tomorrow (27th/28th) G2 strength so sould be visible from Northern England and Northern Ireland subject to the usual weather restrictions. It is of course a prediction so don't blame me if you waste a night of your life on a mountain top somewhere. :p

From 9pm up here OJ the east coast, were forecast to have heavy rain for the rest of the night. I’ll be staying in my jammies.

Back