Aurora last night

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Interesting location, must visit there when we are up to the Farne Islands again in June :)

Only visited St Abbs and lighthouse once many yeas ago and it was in daylight !
Lovely shots I particularly like the first one !

"Excellent" set of images Mark, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

Nice shot Mark what time did you mange to capture it at ?

Aurora on my bucket list

I was out between 8pm and 10pm for this set of images but had a 1hr 45 min drive each way to get there and back. The show went on from 5pm till the early hours of the morning.

I was out between 8pm and 10pm for this set of images but had a 1hr 45 min drive each way to get there and back. The show went on from 5pm till the early hours of the morning.[/QUOTE

That's quite a drive when you could have arrived too late for the display, well done for capturing the aurora with an interesting view. The extremes of lighting must have made it very challenging to get the exposure right.
I really like the other flickr photos of the lighthouse too.

There have been some short-lived auroras recently and I've been ready to go when the level droped back from yellow to green. I would still go out for a look if it was good weather conditions but recently there's been rain, cloud or strong winds so haven't bothered. You've inspired me to make more of an effort to get out and find interesting sites.

It took me a bit to realise that i could get the light shafts from the lighthouse if i reduced the exposure time to around 2 secs. Had to up the iso to get the light due to the short exposures but even at that the light inside the lighthouse was blown, i couldnt think of a way around this except multiple exposures but decided to expose for the lighthouse and aurora abd worry about the blown lights later.

The final photo is always going to be a compromise but it's diminishing returns, you could have spent most of the night trying to get the exposure right for the lighthouse and missed the spectacle in the sky because the cloud closed in.

Living in west Sussex, this is not something I am not likely to get without travelling somewhere. I love these photos and it always makes me jealous of people when they are posted on here. Great shots. I like #1 the most, lots of interest to supplement the already amazing sky.

Back