Auto Backup Software

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend some automatic backup software. Like Chronosync, but something that works for Windows. Not too worried about cost. I've found a few online, but would like to have some hard recommendations rather than just trust what randomers say online as you never know who those people are.

Synctoy can be setup to auto backup, have a wee google.

I have been using Memeo Premium Backup for a couple of years. It backs up to my NAS and has been reliable, Fortunately I've not had to try the restore function.

One of the things I like is that the back-up files are not encrypted, so you are not locked into Memeo.

More details from:
http://memeo.com/backup-products/

I had a minor problem when I installed it, a request for support was answered very quickly with a solution. I can't recall what the problem was, so it must not have been too serious, since then it has worked well.

Chris

Last edited:
Been running Goodsync for a while. Flexible to do on-file-change as well as scheduled weekly/monthly dump backups.

I've been using Arq 5 and like it a lot. Easy encrypted, versioned offsite backups of all data to amazons unlimited cloud offering. The interface isn't perfect I wish there was an easier way to find when individual files were changed but for it's primary job of backing up it does it well.

I like Duplicati - I have been able to recover individual files when needed (always test backup software!) and it's free.

I use the built in windows software. Free and never had a problem with it - restored two PC's so far..

It's weirdly called file history.

Cheers guys.

I'll; take a look into these.

Quick question on GoodSync - does it just sync different machines or can it be used to backup to NAS?

Edit: looks like it can. Trying to weigh up if worth getting or stick with FreeFileSync

Last edited:
I use Carbon Copy Cloner. Each evening it copies all the files from my desktop drive to my RAID backup. In the morning it does the same thing with my iMac HD. It sends me an email to confirm the copy.
I also use Goodsync to sync my files, to a Lacie rugged drive, from my macbook when I'm tethered in real time.
Both are good programs.

I write a simple batch file that uses the xcopy command to copy directories from a to b daily triggered by a scheduled task.

Simple, free and fully in your control.

Back