Auto ISO, changing ISO, I so bored with it.

I use a D810 and with a little cleaning up I find ISO6400 useable.

I wouldn't actually choose to use an ISO that high but having limited my auto ISO up to 6400 originally I had a few one offs at that setting.

If I was shooting landscape I would probably consider setting the ISO, but for fast moving wildlife that can move over multiple light levels while I am tracking / taking the shots I find auto ISO allows me to set a solid shutter speed and aperture and still get a good exposure.

I'm a bit puzzled that there seem to be so many comments in the press and elsewhere that it is difficult to adjust ISO on the Df. Whilst using the viewfinder, simply depress the lock button with left hand thumb and rotate ISO dial with forefinger.

It's much easier if the lock is depressed first, before trying to rotate the dial.

It's equally easy to adjust exposure compensation in a similar manner.

It might be more difficult holding the camera in the left hand with a heavy lens, but I'd contend the Df is better suited to using with lighter primes anyway.

Adjusting shutter speed in shutter priority or manual with the right hand whilst holding the lens in left hand is equally easy.

I suppose I'm a bit of a dinosaur though. This degree of physical control suits me fine

Of course, it all gets much more difficult when wearing gloves - But what doesn't?

I try my best not to touch ISO. I keep it on 100 unless I can't get the shutter fast enough at my chosen apature. I really start to notice grain on my 60d otherwise.

I love threads like this, where people who's photography bears no resemblance to other peoples make statements that can look ridiculous.

My cameras are no better at high ISO than the 60d, but I'll happily use 1600, and sometimes be pushed to use 6400 to get a shot. Of course there's noise, but is noise better than no shot?

I love threads like this, where people who's photography bears no resemblance to other peoples make statements that can look ridiculous.

My cameras are no better at high ISO than the 60d, but I'll happily use 1600, and sometimes be pushed to use 6400 to get a shot. Of course there's noise, but is noise better than no shot?
I didn't say I don't touch it, I said I try my best not to (y)

I didn't say I don't touch it, I said I try my best not to (y)
It wasn't a personal thing, but these things are always full of 'I don't go above 400, or stuff about tracking birds, or shooting weddings, etc etc.

I'm bemused when we talk about camera features with regard to techniques. Clearly some features are designed with some types of photography in mind.

Re auto ISO, I'm also frustrated that Canon took so long to implement it properly, Nikon users go on about how great it is, but only a couple of Canon bodies do it properly.

I've never understood what some have against auto ISO compared to aperture or shutter priority.if you use auto ISO in manual then you are choosing the shutter speed and aperture whilst leaving the camera to decide ISO. How is this different to letting the camera decide the aperture or shutter speed in shutter priority and aperture priority modes respectively? You are only allowing the camera to choose one element of exposure, just not one of the creative elements. +- a stop or two change in aperture and shutter speed can drastically alter a photos final image look whereas ISO just makes it a little more or less noisy but high ISO up to 800-1600 isn't too much of a issue nowadays.

It all depends what you are shooting, landscapes or portraits you probably don't need to change ISO but fast action (Sports/wildlife) in changing light it does help. Over a day my ISO can range from 200 to 2000 due to changes in light levels and what I've trying to achieve.

I'm guessing it depends at what point you learnt photography,before or after digital came in, as to whether you are used to using only one ISO value.

Hey! I learnt in the olden days of film. Yet, apart from still 'only' liking prog rock, I'm actually capable of embracing new technologies.

Last edited:
I think over the last few years people have started to use a higher ISO over flash, there are a number of reasons for that including people prefer natural light, flash is not always permitted etc. it really just depends on the subject. There is no one size fits all solution but a lot of people seem to be very content with shooting at 1/250 with auto ISO on. I think any shooting mode is all about a compromise, it's whatever works best for you at the time that counts.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to hear from the OP in light of all the responses. Has your view changed at all?

Back