Auto ISO, changing ISO, I so bored with it.

I use Auto ISO set to go up to 1600 for general use. And have saved a pre-set for tripod use, that sets Manual 100 ISO as well as a range of other things. Although I still find, from time to time I need to jump between Auto and 100 ISO.
Or sometimes higher ISO to capture movement in low light like here at ISO 3200:

Spring beer festival. Munich 2014.
by ianp5a, on Flickr

Last edited:
Set to 200 and never really change well not much:)

When I used film, I generally used HP4/5 because I didn't like to use flash and wanted an all year round, all times of the day film as I was an opportunist photographer and didn't have time to fanny about with changing films and didn't want to carry too bodies.

I used HP4/5 for exactly the same reason as you. Auto ISO is the digital improvement on that strategy - and it provides better results.

If I ended up taking landscapes in bright light there is nothing more convenient than a set of neutral density filters. I could always reduce the amount of light coming in to a fast film but I couldn't increase the light to a slow film hence the 400 ASA.

I'd suggest that having a variable ISO is far more convenient than a set of neutral density filters. :)

Auto ISO, Easy ISO and ISO bracketing are all features of the new D750/810 at upper levels the noise is very good. I personally don't use any of these features whilst experimenting I found the camera will select a higher ISO than it really needs for the given aperture / speed conditions. I tend to prefer setting the ISO manually so I'm in control of the noise and will use the lowest I can get away with for that situation and that moment.

Auto ISO, Easy ISO and ISO bracketing are all features of the new D750/810 at upper levels the noise is very good. I personally don't use any of these features whilst experimenting I found the camera will select a higher ISO than it really needs for the given aperture / speed conditions. I tend to prefer setting the ISO manually so I'm in control of the noise and will use the lowest I can get away with for that situation and that moment.

I'm surprised that you see it that way. Because auto ISO is so customisable, you should be able to use it in an entirely predictable manner. i.e. you set the minimum shutter speed and it will then use the lowest ISO it can get away with, exactly as you would manually. If its selecting ISO way higher than necessary, it suggests that something isn't quite right setting wise.

I use auto iso when it'll help me, probably about 50% of the time, maybe more. I think it's a brilliantly useful feature to have in the toolbox, particularly in manual mode.

I'm surprised that you see it that way. Because auto ISO is so customisable, you should be able to use it in an entirely predictable manner. i.e. you set the minimum shutter speed and it will then use the lowest ISO it can get away with, exactly as you would manually. If its selecting ISO way higher than necessary, it suggests that something isn't quite right setting wise.

I use auto iso when it'll help me, probably about 50% of the time, maybe more. I think it's a brilliantly useful feature to have in the toolbox, particularly in manual mode.

You're right it is just a tool, but it's a tool I prefer not to use. I do prefer to set the ISO manually but that's a 30 year old habit. I have used auto ISO occasionally (100-1600) but it takes over the thought process. By using Auto ISO you're only a heartbeat away from switching to P mode and having optimum ISO, Speed and Aperture - in the cameras opinion.
Unlike the A or S mode which is a useful feature.

Changing the ISO manually is such a simple process, you press the button and turn the dial / wheel. I don't think it makes me a better photographer, or it's pure photography, or the usual set of rhetoric nonsense banded about. I'm not saying people shouldn't be using it if it works for them. I just prefer to be in control and think about the settings and alternatives. The ISO is the foundation on which the Aperture and Speed is built on.

You're right it is just a tool, but it's a tool I prefer not to use. I do prefer to set the ISO manually but that's a 30 year old habit. I have used auto ISO occasionally (100-1600) but it takes over the thought process. By using Auto ISO you're only a heartbeat away from switching to P mode and having optimum ISO, Speed and Aperture - in the cameras opinion.

Changing the ISO manually is such a simple process, you press the button and turn the dial / wheel. I don't think it makes me a better photographer, or it's pure photography, or the usual set of rhetoric nonsense banded about. I'm not saying people shouldn't be using it if it works for them. I just prefer to be in control and think about the settings and alternatives. The ISO is the foundation on which the Aperture and Speed is built on.

Totally agree with the sentiment. We all pick our methods that work and stick with them. It's probably because I got into photography in the digital age but my view of iso is perhaps the opposite to your's in that as you say, you set your iso and base your aperture and shutter speed on that. I always think of it the other way around in that (unless I'm using a tripod) I set the aperture and shutter speed I want and the iso then just becomes whatever is appropriate. It's more of a result than a preset in my head. As I say though, that goes out the window if I'm on a tripod where base iso becomes the first thing I set.

By using Auto ISO you're only a heartbeat away from switching to P mode and having optimum ISO, Speed and Aperture - in the cameras opinion.
Don't knock P! It's a great "ready" mode. Ready for any sudden situation. Additionally as you can get directly to any shutter speed or aperture you want with just a roll of the wheel (shift). Like you can with A and S really. And then switch to A or S if you are lingering on a particular type of shot.

Now "A" mode. Pah!

Last edited:
By using Auto ISO you're only a heartbeat away from switching to P mode and having optimum ISO, Speed and Aperture - in the cameras opinion.

P is just as useful as another mode, including Auto, depending on how and what you are shooting. When people look at pictures they neither know nor care what mode was used. Unless they belong to a camera club...

Manual ? Tripod ? go to a menu? sorry no time 1500 shots in 6 hrs ...a happy auto iso taped up dials man and woman.

You must also remember with Nikon that when you turn on the flash the iso goes to 4x the base iso so all my indoor flash would be at 800 iso

Last edited:
P is just as useful as another mode, including Auto, depending on how and what you are shooting. When people look at pictures they neither know nor care what mode was used. Unless they belong to a camera club...

.....or unless you are the photographer and have the confidence and knowledge to get a better result by not using it and want to control the ISO, Aperture or speed yourself.

It's all down to personal choice. Horses for courses.

Sorry David, I meant "fixing any one of those permanently and refusing to ever change it restricts your options"..

Fair enough :)

As an aside I find myself mortified by the use in an earlier post where I said "and I don't want to carry around too bodies".

I of course meant 'two bodies'

There, mortification subsiding.

Aperture (depth of focus required for subject) and shutter speed (movement required for subject) are the key ingredients for me.

Speedy adjustment of ISO enables you to retain both when sacrificing either won't do.
Exactly. A grainy shot is (generally) better than a blurry or out-of-focus one.

I usually set my lowest ISO and set shutter and aperture in manual mode. But then, I'm using a tripod taking landscapes. If I'm in a market taking candid street shots in variable light, I set auto ISO and the aperture and shutter speed that I want in manual. Sometimes I use aperture priority and sometimes shutter priority if I think it will get the result I want. I only ever use auto if I'm p***ed and then it's not my DSLR I'm using. I don't care whether I'm surrendering partial control to the camera in some modes, it's a decision I've made just like a decision about depth of field or motion blur in order to try and get the end result I want.

Technology is there to help us, it's up to us to use it as we think fit. There's no right or wrong answer as long as we have made an informed decision.

Technology, innit. Things move on. You can change it on your body, I cannot see how thats bad. Perhaps Nikon should make different bodies with fixed ISO's and see how people like that!!!

They never have before so I don't anticipate them doing that anytime soon !

What a load of... Pardon me for being so rude but I hope we're all friends here and a little frankness is allowed.

Having said that one mans total ... is another mans joy of photography so I suppose there's room for all views.

I'll talk some ... now :D

Personally, although I do enjoy the gear and the settings and the process of planning and capturing the image I think there's room for a little automation in the process. In aperture mode I let the camera select the shutter speed... does this mean that the camera is doing it all for me? No. Does it make my pictures worthless snaps? IMVHO it doesn't. Selecting auto ISO is no different to letting the camera select the shutter speed, is it? Surely it's a similar degree of automation? As for P mode... it's a perfectly acceptable choice and I'm sure that many people capture great images use "P".

Here's a thought... back in the day, actually when I was 10 and I got my first camera, a Kodak Instamatic, I had three controls on my camera and they were the shutter button and a switch to select either sunny or cloudy setting. Later I had things like an Olympus Trip and Canon QL RF. These were simple cameras but I could say that they also had a high degree of automation :D but even so I'm pretty sure that many people took memorable images with similar basic yet "automated" equipment :D and that they enjoyed the process.

Anyway, there's room for all views and the only one I don't like is that real men shoot full manual and any degree of automation is cheating and to be derided.

M has the disadvantage that you are constantly changing the settings when the light changes. You are following what the light meter tells you to do. Which can be tedious and distract you from the actual subject.

Last edited:
Bit like driving an Auto car, You can select the gears manually but it's so easy to stick her in drive and sit back with your eyes closed listening to some punk rock !!

M has the disadvantage that you are constantly changing the settings when the light changes. You are following what the light meter tells you to do. Which can be tedious and distract you from the actual subject.

Similarly, shooting A can give you too low a shutter if shooting moving objedts/ickle birds.

Yes. But the frequency of changes can be higher between changes in light compared to changes in subject type. And actually, shooting birds against a bright sky may be a good case for using M.

I try my best not to touch ISO. I keep it on 100 unless I can't get the shutter fast enough at my chosen apature. I really start to notice grain on my 60d otherwise.

Yes. But the frequency of changes can be higher between changes in light compared to changes in subject type. And actually, shooting birds against a bright sky may be a good case for using M.

Yes, they CAN, but as has been said, it's `horses for courses`.

I tend to shoot in M precisely because I could be trying to catch a bird in a tree, or on a feeder.....then the next second trying to get a BIF.

I guess it's a case of what you get used to.
I can (fairly) quickly change from a bird in darker conditions -7EV to shooting into the sky +1.3EV using the EV button & scroll wheel.

Last edited:
I'm very much on the horses for courses side. I'll use all the modes. As well as auto and manual ISO.

Last edited:
I tend to leave auto iso enabled on my d610 but if I had a camera with a dedicated iso dial like the df then i'd probably manually select ISO as changing iso manually is a real pain on the d610. I have always wondered why dslr's apart from the df never have a dedicated iso dial.

The ISO adjustment on D610 is bottom button lhs and rotate thumb dial

What a load of... Pardon me for being so rude but I hope we're all friends here and a little frankness is allowed.

Having said that one mans total ... is another mans joy of photography so I suppose there's room for all views.

I'll talk some ... now :D

Personally, although I do enjoy the gear and the settings and the process of planning and capturing the image I think there's room for a little automation in the process. In aperture mode I let the camera select the shutter speed... does this mean that the camera is doing it all for me? No. Does it make my pictures worthless snaps? IMVHO it doesn't. Selecting auto ISO is no different to letting the camera select the shutter speed, is it? Surely it's a similar degree of automation? As for P mode... it's a perfectly acceptable choice and I'm sure that many people capture great images use "P".

Here's a thought... back in the day, actually when I was 10 and I got my first camera, a Kodak Instamatic, I had three control on my camera and they were the shutter button and a switch to select either sunny or cloudy setting. Later I had an Olympus Trip with a shutter button and settings for various distances. These were simple cameras but I could say that they had a high degree of automation :D but even so I'm pretty sure that many people took memorable images with similar basic yet "automated" equipment :D and that they enjoyed the process.

Anyway, there's room for all views and the only one I don't like is that real men shoot full manual and any degree of automation is cheating and to be looked down on and derided. IMVHO there are just different ways of doing it.

Read my post again, slowly and take it in, your actually saying what I'm saying !

What ISO setting each person uses is irrelevant as there are too many variables that go into taking an image. Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO values depend on available light, your subject and what you are trying to achieve. A landscape photographer may keep ISO at its lowest value as they can use longer shutter speeds whereas a sports photographer will may using a high ISO as they are capturing action in bad light. It's all horses for courses, and sadly saying things like 'never move off ISO100' or 'always ISO1600-3200' will probably sends beginners down the wrong path as they don't know what image you are trying to capture. I've seen some fantastic landscape images at the traditional ISO 100 and also some fantastic High ISO landscape images by David Clapp, one of my favourites being this one here.

I keep it on 100 unless I can't get the shutter fast enough at my chosen apature.

This is the right advice, use the lowest ISO you can get away with using at the fastest shutter speed and aperture to get the image you are trying to get. Whether that is ISO100 or ISO3200 its kind of irrelevant with most modern cameras, so is if you are using M, A, S or auto ISO. None are wrong, just different ways of getting the end result.

The ISO adjustment on D610 is bottom button lhs and rotate thumb dial
Not really as convenient as rotating a dedicated marked iso dial - I'm not overly keen on the way modern dslr design relies on making changes to settings via dials without marked settings. Luckily I can at least change aperture via a marked dedicated dial as I have an AI lens with an aperture rings but modern lenses are almost always change aperture electronically only via an unmarked dial.

Not really as convenient as rotating a dedicated marked iso dial - I'm not overly keen on the way modern dslr design relies on making changes to settings via dials without marked settings. Luckily I can at least change aperture via a marked dedicated dial as I have an AI lens with an aperture rings but modern lenses are almost always change aperture electronically only via an unmarked dial.

If you use easy ISO in A or S modes ISO can be changed by the unused dial. I'm with you about ISO button location on Nikons, it would be much better if it was near the shutter button and then turn the rear dial. The D800 is a pain as you have to depress the ISO of the top left and turn the dial on the right at the same time which makes it a two handed job. At least the D7100 I had before you could press the ISO button on the back left and then turn the dial with the same hand.

If you use easy ISO in A or S modes ISO can be changed by the unused dial. I'm with you about ISO button location on Nikons, it would be much better if it was near the shutter button and then turn the rear dial. The D800 is a pain as you have to depress the ISO of the top left and turn the dial on the right at the same time which makes it a two handed job. At least the D7100 I had before you could press the ISO button on the back left and then turn the dial with the same hand.

You can assign the top fn button to iso. Makes changing it a one handed operation. :)

I have read your original post several times and agree with the other poster - I find you condescending.

1. By using Auto ISO you're only a heartbeat away from switching to P mode

2. Unlike the A or S mode which is a useful feature.

3. I just prefer to be in control and think about the settings and alternatives.

I can read it again if you think it will help?

Apologies it was not received in the spirit in which it was intended.

No apologies required - been on different forums for many years and things come over in writing much differently than they would in conversation. I was just trying to highlight why he may have posted what he did.

I end up scrapping more posts before pressing the "send" button because I think I may cause offence without meaning to :)

Read my post again, slowly and take it in, your actually saying what I'm saying !

I've read your post and no, I don't think that we are saying the same thing. Probably my fault. What I am saying is that it's your right to shoot however you want but your way is usually not my way. All ways/views are valid though...

I can't say that I find you condescending though as you seem to be expressing your own view but it's just not one that I agree with and one of the reasons why is that I don't see a great distinction between shooting in aperture mode and letting the camera set the shutter speed and setting the shutter speed and aperture and letting the camera set the ISO.

I also see a use for Program mode and I'll try and explain why...

I have the luxury of time to fiddle with settings and I mostly use aperture priority. However, if I was under more pressure, time wise or otherwise, I could select P mode and let the camera do most of the work for me leaving me just to worry about framing and composition and pressing the shutter button.

I see P mode as a sort of enthusiasts Full Auto Green Square Mode which is capable of accepting some user input, for example one of my cameras has a P mode which when selected allows me to change the aperture and dial in some exposure compensation whilst the ISO floats up and down or if I select a specific ISO I can then change the aperture or by dialling in exposure compensation I can change the shutter speed. Those abilities are just more tools in the box and we can either leave them there or use them as or when the need arises and they must be an advantage for someone somewhere sometime.

Anyway, for me P could be a perfectly justifiable mode to select and I see nothing wrong or less pure in it.

In recent times I've been using old manual lenses and one thing that he struck me is that I care less now about camera settings after the fact, probably because my exif info is briefer than it used to be because the lens doesn't talk to the camera :D and I think that it's a good thing as when I'm not obsessing over setting I'm possibly more likely to just be enjoying the image as long as all of the bases are covered and I've actually got the shot :D The shot is what really matters to me, how I got it matters because it's a part of the experience but the shot matters most and I'm not going to lay awake at night obsessing and feeling inadequate because my camera chose the ISO :D

Last edited:
In recent times I've been using old manual lenses and one thing that he struck me is that I care less now about camera settings after the fact, probably because my exif info is briefer than it used to be because the lens doesn't talk to the camera :D and I think that it's a good thing as when I'm not obsessing over setting I'm possibly more likely to just be enjoying the image as long as all of the bases are covered and I've actually got the shot :D The shot is what really matters to me, how I got it matters because it's a part of the experience but the shot matters most and I'm not going to lay awake at night obsessing and feeling inadequate because my camera chose the ISO :D

I've been using exclusively old manual lenses for some time and not noticed much difference in the exif info - the only difference is that you have to manually input the focal length and max aperture when you set up the lens for the first time. All the other exif like shutter/aperture/iso etc seems to be the same. I guess an exception could be that it does not record focus distance.

Personally I use aperture priority mostly as it seems to suit how I think but when the light level drops and my camera wants me to shoot at 1/30 I'll probably move to Shutter or Manual depending upon what camera and lens I have (my G1 won't work in Shutter with manual lenses.)

I just read through the thread, and this stood out for me. :thinking: If you have your camera in Aperture Priority, and because of the aperture you have set, and the lighting conditions, the shutter the camera chooses is 1/30th second, which you deem to be not right for you, you change to Shutter or Manual. Now this is the bit that confuses me, what difference will that make? If you were at your maximum aperture in A mode, the camera measured the scene and said this (1/30th sec) is the shutter speed for the correct exposure. If you put the camera in Shutter Priority and set a faster shutter speed, if the ISO has stayed the same, and the light in the scene has stayed the same, the image will be underexposed because the aperture can't get any wider. In the same situation, but this time using Manual mode, you set a faster than 1/30th second shutter speed, if the ISO and light conditions have stayed the same, then the scene will again be underexposed. Please tell me how I have misunderstood you?

All Auto ISOs are not the same. For some cameras all that they want is for the camera to have 1/60th sec in Aperture Priority with whatever aperture was chosen. Possibly OK if you have 50mm lens attached, but with a wider focal length lens it may be raising the ISO before it needs to. If I have my lens at 16mm, then I may be able to hold the camera at 1/15th sec. But a camera with a 'dumb' Auto ISO mode will want to raise the ISO to 1/60th sec. It would be raising the ISO when it didn't need to. And if I have a longer focal length lens, say a 300mm lens, then 1/60th sec will probably be too slow for me to hand hold the lens.

On my camera it allows me to set a minimum shutter speed for the Auto ISO to be raised from its base ISO, and a maximum ISO to go up to. It was a good first step at being 'intelligent', but some newer cameras can also take into account the focal length of the lens as to when to raise the ISO. You can also compensate if your are a steadier, or shakier person. ;) All the above is before any image stabilisation is factored into the equation. ;)

The Nikon Df, because of the design choices, makes it a bit harder to change the ISO from the dial on the top of the camera. Also because of the design, you don't get the flexibility of changing the shutter speed in thirds of a Stop, unless you set the dial to 1/3 and use the dial on the back of the camera, just like every other Nikon DSLR. :rolleyes: And if that is what you are doing, the the Shutter Speed dial on top becomes a lot less useful. Nikon try to spin these design choices into a feature by saying that it makes the Photographer slow down and consider the scene. BS of course, ;) if you want to take your time and consider the scene, then do it, you don't need the camera getting in the way and slowing you down imho. What happens when you need to change things quickly? :rolleyes:

The Nikon Df, like the D800 before it, (not sure whether it was the first camera that altered the Auto ISO in relation to the focal length, but it was the first I had read about it in a review) should have an Auto ISO mode that tracks the focal length before it starts to raise the ISO. They used to say that your minimum Shutter Speed is the reciprocal of the focal length used. You 'should' be able to hold a 50mm lens at 1/50th sec, a 300mm lens at 1/300th sec for etc, and that was a good 'rule of thumb' for 35mm film. Cropped sensors, image stabilisation, and the steadiness of the person holding the camera muddy the water a bit. ;)

The range of the usable ISO in many new cameras means that Auto ISO can be a setting that can be used with less detrimental affects on the image to give more creative possibilities, or to be set and virtually forgotten in most daylight situations. My camera is 5 years old, and while high ISO performance has improved a lot in the intervening years, I have to be a bit more careful about what the ISO setting is, and when the ISO starts going up. It's 'good practice' to use the lowest ISO you can anyway. :)

A lot of wedding photographers are bloging that they are using Auto ISO and shooting everything at 1/250 on the new Nikons because the noise levels are so good even at higher ISOs it's becoming the norm.

Back