AUTO ISO with FLASH TRIGGER godox x2t

AndyRal123

Suspended / Banned
Name
AndyRal
Edit My Images
No
Hello guys :)

Taking it simple, is there a way to use AUTO ISO on Nikon D750 with flash trigger (godox x2t) mounted.

From my experience, no matter what trigger mode, auto iso set on camera - doesn't work, and camera uses the lowest value of auto iso set, so we end up with manual iso.

Why I want to do this? I want to turn off all flashes, and use the trigger only for infrared af assist beam built into trigger with auto iso mode available.

Are there any ideas You got there folks?
All the best for You,
Andy

My Nikons have a second setting for max ISO with flash; is that set correctly?

Hello, sorry but i don't get what You mean by that, coz i'm talking about setting nikon with trigger not the flash on.

Cheers

The camera assumes flash is in use if there is a trigger in the hotshoe...

Yes, i know that, but can't see any connection with my question, becuase the camera can actually use auto iso with flash on, but can't with the trigger on. Why is that?

Yes, i know that, but can't see any connection with my question, becuase the camera can actually use auto iso with flash on, but can't with the trigger on. Why is that?

I know not of Nikon or Godox but what you say here suggests to me that the ones to answer your question are Godox, have you asked them if the trigger can be used in the way you want?

PS is the trigger foot cold or hot......if cold perhaps the sort of connection that allows a flash to function with auto ISO (as you say they do) is disabled..........if hot then perhaps it's different 'communucation' does not allow for auto ISO to function???

Last edited:
the camera can actually use auto iso with flash on, but can't with the trigger on. Why is that?
Hmm, I know Nikon's auto ISO will remain at min if it believes the flash/trigger is manual only (non-TTL)... but the XT2 is TTL... it could be the lack of TTL pre-flashes?

I know not of Nikon or Godox but what you say here suggests to me that the ones to answer your question are Godox, have you asked them if the trigger can be used in the way you want?

PS is the trigger foot cold or hot......if cold perhaps the sort of connection that allows a flash to function with auto ISO (as you say they do) is disabled..........if hot then perhaps it's different 'communucation' does not allow for auto ISO to function???

I appreciate Your response. Yeah maybe writing to godox would help, i will try that and tell if i received an answer from them. Cold or hot? Well i assume that its a hotshoe, coz that trigger is ttl - able. Well here i can't say what about multibrand accesories and nikon auto iso, coz i got only nikon speedlights which always enable auto iso, maybe you're right and the thing is different communication between godox trigger + nikon than from nikon speedlight + nikon. Maaan, i just dont get why nobody is producing af assist beam only gear. Coz i know it's way around what im tryin to do.

Greetings for You

Last edited:
Hmm, I know Nikon's auto ISO will remain at min if it believes the flash/trigger is manual only (non-TTL)... but the XT2 is TTL... it could be the lack of TTL pre-flashes?

Well, i just checked sb700. On ttl auto iso works,. But also auto iso works when speedlight is on remote, and there no preflashes, coz actually i turn off any flashes, and the camera IS using auto iso still. So preflashing thing cant be the case. And yes it partly does the trick to me, but the flash is super heavy on long run, i want something lightweight.

Last edited:
Just a thought?

Maybe if you explained exactly what it is that you are trying to do/achieve it is possible that other TPers could offer some insight with gear suggestions........ likely such exists but not based on trying to make(?) the TTL trigger work as you wish it would.

There's two other possibilities I can think of... newer Nikons have an additional setting (E4) for flash where you can select flash for subject only or subject and background... if you select subject only it will use the minimum ISO setting; if you select subject and background it will use auto ISO starting 2 stops above the minimum setting (no idea why). IDT the D750 has that setting, instead the camera will switch to a "fill light" mode (subject only) when in A or S modes... still, I think it uses auto ISO.

But you say it works as desired with the SB mounted but set to remote, so I guess it must be something with the X2T... do you have it set so all groups are turned off (not expecting pre-flashes)? The only other thing I can suggest is perhaps getting a used SU800... it is Nikon's older wireless (CLS) trigger that should work if an SB does; and it has focus assist capability.

Just a thought?

Maybe if you explained exactly what it is that you are trying to do/achieve it is possible that other TPers could offer some insight with gear suggestions........ likely such exists but not based on trying to make(?) the TTL trigger work as you wish it would.

Thank You for posting :) Well, I checked a lot, but with trigger on it will remain iso manual, even when auto iso is on it will choose manual automatically, it just works like with manual flash on. Still, thank You for response.

Sincerely,
Greetings,
Andy

There's two other possibilities I can think of... newer Nikons have an additional setting (E4) for flash where you can select flash for subject only or subject and background... if you select subject only it will use the minimum ISO setting; if you select subject and background it will use auto ISO starting 2 stops above the minimum setting (no idea why). IDT the D750 has that setting, instead the camera will switch to a "fill light" mode (subject only) when in A or S modes... still, I think it uses auto ISO.

But you say it works as desired with the SB mounted but set to remote, so I guess it must be something with the X2T... do you have it set so all groups are turned off (not expecting pre-flashes)? The only other thing I can suggest is perhaps getting a used SU800... it is Nikon's older wireless (CLS) trigger that should work if an SB does; and it has focus assist capability.

Thank You kindly for You extensive and in depth response, it is interesting attitude to the topic and helpful clue. Yes, the tests were with godox all groups off, good point. It is really interesting with subject and background, but it doesn't work with godox on. Maybe this is part of multi-system combination here. Camera stays on manual iso, lowest value automatically when set to auto-iso. That SU800 might be good workaround, maybe there , in one system it would work, I will wait for some used one online. For now i just use the built in nikon lamp.

Thank You for response, time and valuable ideas,
I am glad to be here on forum and get in touch with You,
Sincerely,
Greetings,
Andy :)

Back