autotrader - are they having a laugh?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I tried to set up an ad. They obviously ask for obscene money for the privilege, enough to keep ebay classifieds going for 3 whole months...

OK. Then they won't allow me to say I've spent money on the car, threaten to cancel the ad and so on. I typed in "f*** YOU!!!" instead for a laugh and they were perfectly happy with that. It just shows what they think about you. I didn't proceed with the payment by the way :)

rant over.

Looked at selling a car on Autotrader a few months ago, could`nt believe how expensive it was but then again a small % on higher value item soon mounts up and seems/is a lot of £ for just an add on a website. Lots of ads though,
wonder how much the regular traders pay?

Looked at selling a car on Autotrader a few months ago, could`nt believe how expensive it was but then again a small % on higher value item soon mounts up and seems/is a lot of £ for just an add on a website. Lots of ads though,
wonder how much the regular traders pay?

No idea - the ads are like 95% traders vs private, but at the very least for the price they should let you add proper description and format it the way you want.

As stated above at least 95% traders, long gone are the days a guy used to pop round to take a picture of your car and there it was in next Thursday's edition

Thing is you reach a very wide market with autotrader. My stepson put his car on there and he had loads of calls for it. Sold it to the first punter who came round too.

As stated above at least 95% traders, long gone are the days a guy used to pop round to take a picture of your car and there it was in next Thursday's edition

I remember those days. You where lucky if the "free picture" they included in your ad was the correct one of your car.

Last edited:
£57 for 6 weeks on the premium package, doesn't seem too bad? Hows that compare to Ebay selling fees?

Cars under £1000
Basic:
Costs £14.95 for two weeks and includes up to 20 photos.
Standard: Costs £19.95 for three weeks and includes up to 20 photos, mobile advantage and search standout.
Premium: Costs £24.95 for six weeks and includes up to 20 photos, desktop advantage, mobile advantage and search standout.

Cars over £1000
Basic:
Costs £36.95 for two weeks and includes up to 20 photos.
Standard: Costs £45.95 for three weeks and includes up to 20 photos, mobile advantage and search stand out.
Premium: Costs £56.95 for six weeks and includes up to 20 photos, desktop advantage, mobile advantage and search stand out.
As a private seller you are certainly better off buying the Autotrader package Premium at £56.95.
The main reasons for this are
a) Six Week National Coverage
b) Mobile Advantage
60% of today’s online searches are carried out using mobile, so if people are searching for a car like yours you’d better make sure the ad can be found on a mobile device else you’re missing the lion’s share of potential car buyers.

£57 to sell a car over 6 weeks! - unless its a £200 wreck how can that not be value to get rid of an asset usually worth £000s to a uk wide market

Ah. I've just noticed who started the thread. That would explain the whining!

He'd complain about a free Big Mac & Fries if the chips weren't hotter than a scotch bonnet!

So compared ot Ebay which OP mentioned, to sell a car on there - you pay 10% fess of the final price - up to a max of £250, plus paypal fees., but it is free to list

It does seem very dear when you think of gumtree doing it for free.. I personally never really look on it anymore. mainly gumtree, ebay.. Surely if it's that effective at selling you shouldn't need an advert for 6 weeks.

Back