Undecided Autumn Colours

Still fairly green, just a smattering of yellow. Hopefully this means the leaves will cling on despite Leslie.

Thanks ihasa, I was thinking of heading up that way on the 11th or 18th. looks like the later date will be better and no rain (so far) forecast.

For an idea of colours now, earlier this week at Stanage
44394865634_5a6565269a_c.jpg

45066138662_b930996e10_c.jpg

44394846204_9eb3484203_c.jpg

Yes Still very green. Thanks

Although it’s still quite green I think there’s a chance for morning mist and frost tomorrow, on the face of it conditions are perfect for mist so it could be worth a trip if you like photographing in those conditions. First light in Edale looked gorgeous when I went last week, there was a beautiful contrast between the green frosted fields, a few golden trees and the brown moorland which looked great at first light. I might head over again tomorrow.

I went up Grindslow Knoll this morning, not the mist-fest I thought it would be, despite loads on the way! A beautiful frosty morning though with fantastic light, very glad I went. I’d say the Peaks will be at peak colour in a couple of weeks or so, there’s some lovely colour around already

I was up in the Yorkshire Dales on Sunday (Ribblehaed Viaduct etc) and it was frosty but still quite a bit greener that I was expecting but certainly on the turn

I will try attach picture for reference

I was up in the Yorkshire Dales on Sunday (Ribblehaed Viaduct etc) and it was frosty but still quite a bit greener that I was expecting but certainly on the turn

I will try attach picture for reference
Thanks Tony

Picture will be useful if possible.

Pete

I would say Lake district looks about right now so if you can get in there and make the most of it.

Worcestershire on the other hand is just largely going brown.

I'm in the Brecon Beacons at the moment. I reckon 1-2 weeks time will be spot on, although this is dependent on wind and overnight temperatures of course....

I would say Lake district looks about right now so if you can get in there and make the most of it.

Worcestershire on the other hand is just largely going brown.

Some trees are definitely suffering from the lack of rain during the summer this year.

A quick snap of Shropshire from home this afternoon, It's still looking quite green, with just a hint of colour showing.

untitled-27.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Thanks for the photo Dominic, shows they are just about to turn, just need a few colder nights to get it turning.

We went to Tintern Abbey on Sunday & although it's still mainly green, it is just starting to turn over there :)

I'm in the Brecon Beacons at the moment. I reckon 1-2 weeks time will be spot on, although this is dependent on wind and overnight temperatures of course....

Was in Wytham Woods near Oxford on Sunday. Ferns have turned but the oaks and most other trees are still largely green. Give it two weeks at least, I'd say.

Lower Ride by David Hallett, on Flickr

Very Nice Image David.

Booked into visit the Forest of Dean this weekend - will report back!

Thank you all for your inputs so far.

Pete

Interesting, the Lincolnshire Wolds are more advanced in colour than the Peak District so far. Plenty of fully golden beech trees, but oak and birch generally some way off. There are now bare horse chestnuts but lots of gold all around

I went to Stourhead yesterday (NT property famed for its 'garden' with large lake, trees and autumn colour - also its rather wacky Greek style 'temples' and grottos. Great place, I love it). There were lots of lovely yellow trees lining the A303 but at Stourhead a lot of trees were still green. Some were yellow but going brown, and the maples were glorious, but the different species of tree seem to be 'autumning' at vastly different rates. Some trees were clearly suffering from the hot dry summer. I think after the current storm there'll be a lot of leaves off.

I'm going up to the peak district next week. Fingers crossed the colours will be there and still on the trees, otherwise I will visiting along the Hope Valley.

I will let you know what it's like.

Pete

After the weekend, here in Milton Keynes a lot of the leaves have been blown off, but there are still plenty on the trees. The ones that have not changed yet are still clinging on well.

Pete

A bit disappointed with the conditions in Forest of Dean...not helped by Storm Callum bringing wind and rain, but there wasn't a great deal of orange about!

20181013-PA130358
by Andy Smith, on Flickr

20181014-PA141752
by Andy Smith, on Flickr

No nice colours in those Images, thanks for posting them up.

It's funny how how autumn starts and progresses at different times and rates in different areas.:)

It is and why I started this post.

I'm going up to the peaks tomorrow, an awful lot of cloud predicted, but I expect to spend most of my time in Padley Gorge and along the River Derwent, so it won't matter too much and as there is no chance of a nice sunrise, I will be staying in bed till a reasonable time.

Pete

I'm off to Stourhead on Sunday. Annual quest set up by my car club as it's a good run. Early morning start, then convoy down the A303 and a chance to shoot some lovely colours. Let's hope the sun shines :)

I'm off to Stourhead on Sunday. Annual quest set up by my car club as it's a good run. Early morning start, then convoy down the A303 and a chance to shoot some lovely colours. Let's hope the sun shines :)

This was last week. Not the day I would have chosen to go but it was my partner's first visit and he said 'if we don't go today it probably won't be this year'. The upside was there was hardly anyone there. (No-one's been cloned out.) The previous 2 days had been wall to wall sunshine and apparently it was standing room only............. Post photos - it'll be really interesting to see any change.

Stourhead
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

I'm going up to the peaks tomorrow, an awful lot of cloud predicted, but I expect to spend most of my time in Padley Gorge and along the River Derwent, so it won't matter too much and as there is no chance of a nice sunrise, I will be staying in bed till a reasonable time.

Pete

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Pete. It looks like it's going to be clear tomorrow morning, possibly mist in the valleys too...

Padley was looking quite autumnal today (no particular artistic merit claimed for this, but you can see the beech is really turning gold in places)

45411195521_434098cf24_b.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Pete. It looks like it's going to be clear tomorrow morning, possibly mist in the valleys too...

Where di you get that prediction from as I used Clearoutside and it showed 100% low cloud. I must admit on my way up it was no way near that bad.

Pete

I was looking at the Met Office app and Meteoearth. BBC weather was closer with patchy early cloud forecast. Unfortunately there was a rather large patch of cloud in the eastern side of the sky at sunrise, which meant the sun appeared beneath it for about thirty seconds before going behind the blanket. After twenty minutes the cloud broke up into long wisps and it was a lovely morning. There was no mist, presumably the patchy clouds stopped the temperatures dipping enough.

It's funny how how autumn starts and progresses at different times and rates in different areas.:)

My rule of thumb is last two weeks of October and 1st week of Novemeber tend to be "the ones"

Rannoch Moor is looking nicely red, but a lot of the trees have green leaves and some more yellow ones. I was in Glencoe on Monday, the silver birch by the famous fall was looking good, but the trees around the Torren still quite green with a dappling of colour - but the moorland areas look super right now - in a month or so they will be yucky brown until late May.

I am so far behind with my processing I cannot show you these and it will be later on - but it was a good day. Reflections and nice falls.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Met Office app and Meteoearth. BBC weather was closer with patchy early cloud forecast. Unfortunately there was a rather large patch of cloud in the eastern side of the sky at sunrise, which meant the sun appeared beneath it for about thirty seconds before going behind the blanket. After twenty minutes the cloud broke up into long wisps and it was a lovely morning. There was no mist, presumably the patchy clouds stopped the temperatures dipping enough.

Where were you, I got to Chrome Hill at 08:20 and the cloud was a nuisance blocking the sun. I did see a bit of Pink on the way up.I waited till the cloud cleared just after 10, meanwhile taking loads of photos where the sun managed to peak through now and again. I saw one chap from afar walk up Chrome Hill, have a look around, he didn't stay long enough.

I did not get any cracking shots there, but having never been before, I now know the layout of the land and kinda of glad I did'nt get there in the dark.

Pete

My rule of thumb is last two weeks of October and 1st week of Novemeber tend to be "the ones"

Rannoch Moor is looking nicely red, but a lot of the trees have green leaves and some more yellow ones. I was in Glencoe on Monday, the silver birch by the famous fall was looking good, but the trees around the Torren still quite green with a dappling of colour - but the moorland areas look super right now - in a month or so they will be yucky brown until late May.

I am so far behind with my processing I cannot show you these and it will be later on - but it was a good day. Reflections and nice falls.

I also would choose those dates, but with the extra hot and dry summer I was wondering how it would effect the colours.
For this year the yellows are early and now struggling to stay on the trees, the browns are turning, and the red are not anywhere yet.

Pete

I also would choose those dates, but with the extra hot and dry summer I was wondering how it would effect the colours.
For this year the yellows are early and now struggling to stay on the trees, the browns are turning, and the red are not anywhere yet.

Pete

Badly - and you've put it well. This summer was abnormally good which has brought the yellows on, followed by a windy spell which has blown a lot of them off, and the green ones now just look a bit withered and dead.

The Moorland etc looks great though and Autumn landscapes are great, even with not many trees. I am a big summer fan but honestly Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, are at their best in Autumn in my view. It's not going to be the best autumn for all the reasons you've said, but still, it's a short time of year but one of, if not, the best :D

I suppose it's a matter of timing.

The chlorophyll drains back out of the leaves and they go yellow/bronze/orange and the bond they have with the branch weakens.. If there are no gales they will tend to stay on the tree longer, but if there is a gale, the loose ones will blow off and what remains are the green ones, and the process continues. It's wind that's the enemy of a colourful autumn, as I understand it.

Ash trees seem to be a bit of an exception to this scenario. They barely change colour at all (never going beyond yellow) and drop off in the slightest hint of a breeze, or following a frosty night.

But yes, Steve, ground vegetation can be very colourful in autumn as well. That starts in August!

Back