Undecided Autumn Colours

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Given the long hot summer some of us had I'm guessing that the change to Autunmal Colours may possibly be delayed in some parts of the country.

In order to photograph those great colours it might be worth letting other people know when the colours are changing in your neck of the woods and if the leaves are falling or the branches are bare. Other colours such as Heathers could be reported as well.
Hopefully it will help taking photos in area we don't live in.

I know its a bit early but I will start off. Feel free to chip in and or give updates ongoing.

Location = Milton Keynes
Date = 18/09/18
Maples are turning Yellow now but the others are still green.
Chestnuts (Conkers) leaves here are a bit shrivelled and are falling off in todays strong winds.
Ash trees are getting a bit paler.
Others are still mainly greens

I can get details on these places in the next 2 to 3 weeks
Location = Somerset (Quantock Hills North)
Date =

LocationCotswolds North (Chipping Norton, Stow on the Wolds, Nr Gloucester)
Date =

I'm interested in what is going on in the Peak District (Hope Valley, Derwent Valley) Any one near - also how are the rivers flowing.

Essex/london border beginning to see changes

chestnuts are aways ragged around this time and conkers are falling
London Planes have started to yellow
Lime have some colour coming
Euonymus alatus has gone deep red

Essex/london border beginning to see changes

chestnuts are aways ragged around this time and conkers are falling
London Planes have started to yellow
Lime have some colour coming
Euonymus alatus has gone deep red

Thanks for adding your location.

You would think that with over 150 viewing this thread that some would add details about how the colours are progessing in their location.

I'm in the West Midlands (Shropshire) and there isn't much turning yet. Some Beech trees have just started going yellow, but it tends to be a bit sporadic. Maybe in a couple of weeks that will change.

Thanks Dominic for adding details about what is currently going on in your area.

Pete

LAKE DISTRICT - CATBELLS AREA

Spent Saturday walking up Catbells and whilst I didn’t get any cracking pictures as it was pretty overcast and it was pretty much full on walking the browns are starting to appear very nicely especially on the ground

Well worth a visit over the next few weeks I would say.

Tony

Lincolnshire Wolds - hawthorn berries giving great early autumn colour. Ash is turning yellow and horse chestnuts are golden brown. Some birches in the county are fully yellow but most still green. The limited beech and oak we have usually peak in November but not sure what effect the scorching summer will have.

Lincolnshire Wolds - hawthorn berries giving great early autumn colour. Ash is turning yellow and horse chestnuts are golden brown. Some birches in the county are fully yellow but most still green. The limited beech and oak we have usually peak in November but not sure what effect the scorching summer will have.

Thanks Scirocco_09 for adding details of your area. It was the hot summer and its affects that prompted this thread in the first place.

Pete

LAKE DISTRICT - CATBELLS AREA

Spent Saturday walking up Catbells and whilst I didn’t get any cracking pictures as it was pretty overcast and it was pretty much full on walking the browns are starting to appear very nicely especially on the ground

Well worth a visit over the next few weeks I would say.

Tony

Thanks Tony
The picture helps show the colours well.

Pete

Hopefully nipping over to the northern peaks after work so will report back.
In South Yorkshire the early turners are on their way but there is still lots of green around.
Rivers are up slightly after recent rains, but it’s going to take ages to refill the reservoirs

Hopefully nipping over to the northern peaks after work so will report back.
In South Yorkshire the early turners are on their way but there is still lots of green around.
Rivers are up slightly after recent rains, but it’s going to take ages to refill the reservoirs

Thanks for the update Popcorn and look forward to your report!

Pete

Changes are earlier than normal here in North Yorkshire if anything, apart from warm weather allowing trees and bushes to complete their cycle sooner the drought stress is still to some extent ongoing.
Also we have had several slight frosts which might not normally happen until October or even November.
Unfortunately the strong winds recently aren't favourable to a good build up, but more anticyclonic conditions are forecast for at least the next 7-10 days which will help.

In the UK best colours are usually later than might be imagined as oaks are a major species and they often hold leaves until into November.
In Northern England at least, the second half of October is usually a good time, this year I'd suggest second week if you can choose when to make a trip.

Thanks for the update Popcorn and look forward to your report!

Pete
Unfortunately I didn’t have as much time as I expected, so didn’t get to where I planned. I still managed to get out on the moorland but not near any significant area of trees I’m afraid (apart from plantations). The heather is now completely brown though, all trace of purple is long gone. I did have a nice 10 minutes watching a Barn Owl though

I've been out around Porlock in north Somerset today and though there are hints of yellow the majority of foliage is still very green. Looking out across Exmoor, it's brown. We've had some strong winds recently but because the leaves are not turning they've stayed on the trees, and a frost a couple of nights ago. This morning was quite cold but not quite a frost, which was a bit annoying as I had to be out at 0800 to drive up there - 35 miles in a Defender in which heating is just a concept rather than a reality, but by mid morning the temperature was about 20 deg in sun and I really wished I was wearing tee shirt and shorts rather than trousers and long sleeves. If autumn is anything like spring was here, it'll be glorious, but only for a few days.

North west - leaves are displaying initial signs of wilt.

In Hampshire autumn colour will be around w/c 29.10.18

Thanks to 4wd, popcorn (again) Jannyfox, dcash29 and LeeRatters for your information.

Pete

Given the long hot summer some of us had I'm guessing that the change to Autunmal Colours may possibly be delayed in some parts of the country.

In order to photograph those great colours it might be worth letting other people know when the colours are changing in your neck of the woods and if the leaves are falling or the branches are bare. Other colours such as Heathers could be reported as well.

I know its a bit early but I will start off. Feel free to chip in and or give updates ongoing.

Location = Milton Keynes
Date = 18/09/18
Chestnuts (Conkers) leaves here are a bit shrivelled and are falling off in todays strong winds.

Date =

Date = 27/09/18
My wife says the trees are a lovely colour here

I'm interested in what is going on in the Peak District (Hope Valley, Derwent Valley) Any one near - also how are the rivers flowing.

Date = 27/09/18
My wife says the trees are a lovely colour here

Anyone know if Autumn has reached Tatton Park or Dunham Massey yet?

Scirooo_09's post is far over to the east but at roughly the same latitude of the area you are enquiring about which may have similer colours.

Brecon Beacons a couple of days ago looked very green with just hints of yellow here and there... Same all around Herefordshire and Worcestershire. The storms last week must have stripped all the colourful ones off!

Scirooo_09's post is far over to the east but at roughly the same latitude of the area you are enquiring about which may have similer colours.

The colour is usually more advanced in the West even at similar latitudes, I guess because we're a bit lower down and the Peak District hills take the brunt of the weather.

Just to add I saw a couple of yellow oak trees in Woodhall Spa, they were young and quite exposed though. I might be wrong but I'm going to guess we're on for later colour this year, I'd normally have seen more birches turning at this stage.

Location = Milton Keynes
Date = 18/09/18

Date =

Date =

we are further southwest, almost at the end of the land..:) but i can see some trees with various stages of leaf fall
now you have given me some scope i will try to record some shots as they transpire
with the wind a lot of trees have had mature leaf fall so look a bit bare...i will be looking for something more dense...
cheers

I was over Norfolk way yesterday and there is not much colour change there yet. Mind you a lot of the tree are Fir trees in Thetford Forrest.

Nearly 2 weeks since I started this thread so an update for Milton Keynes

The Colours are now changing around here, as rob-nikon says. The seed pods on Ash Trees are now dark brown and the leaves are turning yellow. Horse Chestnuts are going brown and shrivelled and falling off.
Maples are hanging on.

Pete

I drove through Cannock Chase (Staffordshire) on Saturday morning, even though it's mainly a pinetree wood, the bracken under the canopy was turning nice shades of yellows, oranges and browns. It looked really nice in the early morning sun and haze. I had my camera, but didn't have time to stop.

The Elan Valley will be good in about 2 weeks I think.

Some trees just starting to turn over this weekend just gone.

Levels still pretty low and the Milky Way was incredible Saturday night.

Driving through Ryedale (Malton/Pickering) this morning a good half are well coloured up and there are some decent colours too, not just going brown as sometimes happens.
It is all happening a good two weeks earlier than has been the norm in recent years.
In other words 2 or 3 weeks from now is going to be the best time for this area - North Yorkshire.

Any one care to describe the colours currently in the Peak District, before Hurricane Leslie blows all the leaves off.

Places like Belper or the Hope Valley

Any one care to describe the colours currently in the Peak District, before Hurricane Leslie blows all the leaves off.

Places like Belper or the Hope Valley

Still fairly green, just a smattering of yellow. Hopefully this means the leaves will cling on despite Leslie.

Back